Info - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 58 Old 18-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Info

Hello lads,

I've been browsing on this forum for a while now, and I think I've got the alfa bug. I desperately want an alfa, but I am only 20 years old and going to college. I know that if you don't take care of an alfa it will "eat" you alive, but there are some good cars out there.

Is it worth it to take the risk or getting an alfa ? or wait until i get my own job, and drive a small town car until then ?

Really confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

you're on the wrong forum mate if you think we're gonna tell you otherwise...you've got the bug, time to let it bite you now
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
get a decent 156, take care of it, and you'll be fine. If you have a shed and good knowledge of cars, then get something from the previous generation (early 90's, like 155 or even better a series 4 spider)
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Get your parents to stump up the cash and go buy one ................. Play the old "If you really loved me........Blah Blah Blah" card ............. or a student loan or something.

............. You'll love it !!!!

Cheers to All
Peter
(Post Link) post #5 of 58 Old 18-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-O View Post
you're on the wrong forum mate if you think we're gonna tell you otherwise...you've got the bug, time to let it bite you now
Don't think I'm on the wrong forum, because I wanted an advice from people in Ireland, not Uk.

I've actually got like 4,5k to spend for a car, and I really thought of an Alfa, and my main question is " Why are they so cheap ? "
Damien_C

Lol, Mysterio I think you picked up Tee O wrong he was joking Basically he was saying go for it and you won't regret it

If you want someone to go and have a look at cars with you I have no bother poping up and giving ya a dig out. I'm the same age as yourself. One thing though check insurance quotes first as Alfa's can be pricey to insure.

They are cheap becuase people percieve them as crap when they are not at all. When minded and watched over. If you are not going to check the oil and make sure you do timing belts and oil services regularly. You might aswell go and get a Toyota or something not Alfa as you know it will probably bite you.

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
Don't think I'm on the wrong forum, because I wanted an advice from people in Ireland, not Uk.

I've actually got like 4,5k to spend for a car, and I really thought of an Alfa, and my main question is " Why are they so cheap ? "

all reputation ... about 20 years ago alfa's were pretty poor in terms of reliability, these days they are as about as reliable as all other european cars (as they basically have the same components) ... you can pick up (in the uk anyway) some pretty decent 156's for 1.5k ...
(Post Link) post #8 of 58 Old 18-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Lol, Mysterio I think you picked up Tee O wrong he was joking Basically he was saying go for it and you won't regret it

If you want someone to go and have a look at cars with you I have no bother poping up and giving ya a dig out. I'm the same age as yourself. One thing though check insurance quotes first as Alfa's can be pricey to insure.

They are cheap becuase people percieve them as crap when they are not at all. When minded and watched over. If you are not going to check the oil and make sure you do timing belts and oil services regularly. You might aswell go and get a Toyota or something not Alfa as you know it will probably bite you.
That would be perfect, if you can help me. I just need now to get the damn cheque aprooved by the bank and all. I currently own a '96 astra, and I'm always under the bonnet checking if everything is ok, because i don't mind getting my hands dirty, especially about "My car"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
all reputation ... about 20 years ago alfa's were pretty poor in terms of reliability, these days they are as about as reliable as all other european cars (as they basically have the same components) ... you can pick up (in the uk anyway) some pretty decent 156's for 1.5k ...
I saw a 2003/4 Alfa romeo 1.8 Lusso, from northern ireland. all receipts, service done etc. he wanted the equivalent of 3k for the car, but to register the car here they've wanted like 1.7k for the VRT (vehicle registration tax), so it's better of to buy one from here.

P.S: Sorry Tee-O for not understanding the joke.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
I saw a 2003/4 Alfa romeo 1.8 Lusso, from northern ireland. all receipts, service done etc. he wanted the equivalent of 3k for the car, but to register the car here they've wanted like 1.7k for the VRT (vehicle registration tax), so it's better of to buy one from here.

P.S: Sorry Tee-O for not understanding the joke.

1.7k ... how much ...

oh and I think Tee-O was saying that the only response you're going to get from anywhere on alfaowner.com is to buy an alfa ...
Damien_C

And they aren't rotten with rust over here too. Sure let me know when you have a few cars picked out we can go and have a look at em.

(Post Link) post #11 of 58 Old 18-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
1.7k ... how much ...

oh and I think Tee-O was saying that the only response you're going to get from anywhere on alfaowner.com is to buy an alfa ...
I know, it's mental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
And they aren't rotten with rust over here too. Sure let me know when you have a few cars picked out we can go and have a look at em.
Thank's man, I owe you one, we'll keep in touch.
Damien_C

No bother at all.

AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

too many to choose from...you'll prob have to stick to 1.6 being a 20yr old as the insurance might kill you. Have a look at a few 147's and 156's on carzone/cbg and post the links up and we'll throw the eye on them for ya...
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Shop around for your insurance as well, never use the online quote, it is much better to ring them up that way you can say you have been offered "X" amount by this company and try and haggle. Try chill.ie, britton, 123.ie and I just got a quote from Aaron Insurance that was 300 less than any quote I got from any other company.
MarksGotDubs

I'm in the same boat as yourself, 20 and bitten by the Alfa bug! I'm lucky that I have my Dad's 'old' mk5 Golf to sell/trade against one. Lovely and sensible, 5 doors, 1.4 petrol engine, but not exactly young and exciting Just need to sell it now! I got a quote from FBD's website for a 1.6 147 that was the same as what I'm paying on my 1.4 Golf now. Might be worth asking them

County: Cork
Garage
If any of you are qualified engineers ring Glennon Insurance, they do a discount for engineers. They sold me an Allianz policy 100 cheaper than allianz could for an identical policy
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
If any of you are qualified engineers ring Glennon Insurance, they do a discount for engineers. They sold me an Allianz policy 100 cheaper than allianz could for an identical policy
ya but isn't the annual IEI fee something like 170? I gave up on that scam years ago for 12 magazines full of crap for over 100

County: Cork
Garage
I gave up the IEI years ago, Glennon give you the discount even if your not a member of the IEI
(Post Link) post #19 of 58 Old 20-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

I`m currently with Axa, and I`m paying 1.800 for a 1.4 Astra. an they`ve quoted me with 2.4k for a 1.8 Alfa 156 Turismo .. not bad i think
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
I gave up the IEI years ago, Glennon give you the discount even if your not a member of the IEI
good man Dave, I'm looking at changing over all my policies to one company to see if I can get a better deal...Glennons might just be the way to go on the renewal dates

Quote:
I`m currently with Axa, and I`m paying 1.800 for a 1.4 Astra. an they`ve quoted me with 2.4k for a 1.8 Alfa 156 Turismo .. not bad i think
glad those days are gone....bloody hell 2.4k for insurance for 1 year. THATS A DISGRACE..!!!
(Post Link) post #21 of 58 Old 21-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

that`s what I get for not using public transport

Anyway, I think it's worth it for an Alfa
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Hi Mysterio, where in Dub are you? I'm in Tallaght. Welcome to the forum. First off for the sheer enjoyment you will get from your Alfa you wont regret any faults you may come across. Trust me.
If I where you, and I'm not, I would get myself a 146 as there is some very good quality ones out there. And they are mostly 1.4 so insurance and tax will be cheaper. They are a good car, Damien will confirm that wont you Damien Then when you have been truly bitten by the bug you can upgrade to something bigger when your ready like a 147 156 166 8C
Furthermore and this is important you will have ample cash left over to spend on any repairs it might need. If buying from a garage it will have the basics done but may need a tbelt but I go for private sales for all my cars as you can bargain them down further i find. Also you can put some of that left over cash to tax and insurance.
Regarding insurance I'm afraid I'm useless, I just go with broker but probably should shop around, I'm just lazy about that.
If your going to look at a car I'll tag along as long as I'm free. I suppose if the dealer see's us all pulling into his forecourt in Alfas he will know he cant try and pull the wool over your eyes. All that said between everybody here we have enogh know how to help you along so get out and get yourself a true drivers car.
(Post Link) post #23 of 58 Old 21-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
Hi Mysterio, where in Dub are you? I'm in Tallaght. Welcome to the forum. First off for the sheer enjoyment you will get from your Alfa you wont regret any faults you may come across. Trust me.
If I where you, and I'm not, I would get myself a 146 as there is some very good quality ones out there. And they are mostly 1.4 so insurance and tax will be cheaper. They are a good car, Damien will confirm that wont you Damien Then when you have been truly bitten by the bug you can upgrade to something bigger when your ready like a 147 156 166 8C
Furthermore and this is important you will have ample cash left over to spend on any repairs it might need. If buying from a garage it will have the basics done but may need a tbelt but I go for private sales for all my cars as you can bargain them down further i find. Also you can put some of that left over cash to tax and insurance.
Regarding insurance I'm afraid I'm useless, I just go with broker but probably should shop around, I'm just lazy about that.
If your going to look at a car I'll tag along as long as I'm free. I suppose if the dealer see's us all pulling into his forecourt in Alfas he will know he cant try and pull the wool over your eyes. All that said between everybody here we have enogh know how to help you along so get out and get yourself a true drivers car.

I`m in Clontarf, Dublin 3. I've received my cheque today, and will be going to the bank on monday to put it in. I have 3.5k to spend for an alfa. I was thinking of buying the 1.6 156. What's your opinion about it ?

I've went to the airport this morning to pick up somebody, and while I was searching for a parking spot, I've found one next to an Alfa GTV. I've stayed about 7 mins to stare at it, and just observing it's curves .. must be mad

So now I just have to wait until monday to get the cheque in the bank and then will be looking for an alfa.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

keep an eye on carzone.ie aswell, this would have the biggest selection, also carzone.ie and buyandsell

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
info

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page