Drivning my Alfa in Ireland - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 03-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Swansea
Drivning my Alfa in Ireland

I just thought I would tell you guys on here how lucky you are to have some great drives. Ive just got back from a weeks holiday with the family in Tralee. I caught the ferry over and drove from Rosslare to Tralee and found a new section of motorway as we left the N24 and headed towards Mallow. It was deserted and made a refreshing change from clogged up British roads!

Another drive was the Dingle peninsula, amazing scenery especially along the R561 via a place called Inch. The highlight however was the Connor pass. Was a bit of a challenge in the 166!

We also had a visit to Limerick and the satnav took me right through the city centre! Ive driven all over the UK but Limerick was crazy!!!

The highlight of the holiday driving wise was the Ring of Kerry. What an amazing driving road. Its the best scenic drive ive ever been on. Spectacular views along the coast where the road is high above the sea and then over the mountain road down to Waterville. Lots of ooh's and arrrr's, it really is that good.

On the way home I drove along the N22/N25 and passing Cork there was a tunnel along what seemed a new section of motorway. I dropped the car to third and floored it as we drove through it. Sounds great, you guys should try it. Wind the windows down and floor it.

Alfa spotting reminded me how rare alfas can seem. I saw a red 146 who waved. I saw one 166 in Waterford, a couple of 156's out and about and the wife swears she saw a black 166 in the Tralee area. But that was it, no GTV's or GT's, Breras etc.

I enjoyed my time so much that im coming back again later in the year. Probably stay in the Tralee area again. Keep an eye out for me during October
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post

On the way home I drove along the N22/N25 and passing Cork there was a tunnel along what seemed a new section of motorway. I dropped the car to third and floored it as we drove through it. Sounds great, you guys should try it. Wind the windows down and floor it.
That's the Jack Lynch Tunnel Great fun alright, you should try 2nd on the limiter tho :HALO:

Glad you had a good holiday btw
AO Member

County: Dublin
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Quote:
Another drive was the Dingle peninsula, amazing scenery especially along the R561 via a place called Inch. The highlight however was the Connor pass. Was a bit of a challenge in the 166!
I know it well, though I've yet to do it in an Alfa. Fantastic roads. The Connor Pass used to be a lot better but they modernised it
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

I drive that tunnel twice a day every day pretty much. Some excellent roads down kerry way alright. And yes, Limerick is a pain, hard to avoid and sign posts lead you some bad routes.
AO Member

County: Arizona
Glad you enjoyed your hols...

Limerick City is a joke for sign posts. Mish mash of junctions, one ways, and confusing lanes. And always need to count to 10 when you get a green light to ensure you don't hit those last few breaking the reds!! Hence I avoid it where possible and side skirt the City unless I need something (which is rare). Thankfully I know the routes satnav can only dream of - if your up here again PM me and I'll set you right on fastest/easiest ways to get across or into the city. We'll also have a tunnel here sometime next year

Alfas since 156/147 are rare - but getting so see more GTVs by the day, and the occasionaly Brera now.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow
Agree about the Connor pass, we were there in February, at late night and in heavy fog. We met some suicidal sheep, but the car was great

Next time you visit Ireland, try the road between Leenane and Louisbourgh on the west coast, or the Sally Gap on the east coast (but not at the weekend), or the A2 between Larne and Portrush (but not when there is a bike show) in the north.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
Agree about the Connor pass, we were there in February, at late night and in heavy fog. We met some suicidal sheep, but the car was great

Next time you visit Ireland, try the road between Leenane and Louisbourgh on the west coast, or the Sally Gap on the east coast (but not at the weekend), or the A2 between Larne and Portrush (but not when there is a bike show) in the north.
I agree with the above, when you hit Louisburgh drive around clew bay and head to Achill Island, thats a goodhilly, twisty road withnice scenery.
If you go for the Sally Gap hit the R759 until you come to theviewpoint, breathtaking. Finally I thoroughly recommend donegal next time, go through the Glenveigh national Park and pass MountErrigal its spectacular.And while your up there head for the Mamon Pass. Everybody heads for Kerry but there is lots of other great routes to take.
Mario Andretti

Only back from that road last week chasing a load of x1/9's with the 124 sport and had great fun in second and third going past the red line on the winding parts..

(Post Link) post #9 of 17 Old 04-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Fab place you got there. Cant wait to get back over. Mind you the 21% vat rate on petrol was a bit of a shock to say the least
Mario Andretti

Well in Ireland if it is heavily taxed it has to be fun except for work

AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa155 TS View Post
If you go for the Sally Gap hit the R759 until you come to theviewpoint, breathtaking. Finally I thoroughly recommend donegal next time, go through the Glenveigh national Park and pass MountErrigal its spectacular.And while your up there head for the Mamon Pass. Everybody heads for Kerry but there is lots of other great routes to take.

Agree. Donegal is just like Kerry only quieter. The road from Glenties up past the airport to Gweedore...
Must try Mamon sometime

Sally Gap... err... a little bit on the bumpy side..... wicklow gap better ?

Nice write up midlifecrisis.
166's and GTV's aren't that common on Irish roads, but they are there....

Took mine up the M1 last night. It is humming nicely
Even motorway driving is a pleasure in a Alfa.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volmars View Post
Agree. Donegal is just like Kerry only quieter. The road from Glenties up past the airport to Gweedore...
Must try Mamon sometime

Sally Gap... err... a little bit on the bumpy side..... wicklow gap better ?

Nice write up midlifecrisis.
166's and GTV's aren't that common on Irish roads, but they are there....

Took mine up the M1 last night. It is humming nicely
Even motorway driving is a pleasure in a Alfa.

I think that road is the N55 or N56, it goes right through the Gaeltacht, really nice and yes I prefer Donegal aswell cause its quieter but the weather is crap mostly

And yes I suppose the Gap is a bit bumpy...........for an Alfa
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredx19 View Post
Only back from that road last week chasing a load of x1/9's with the 124 sport and had great fun in second and third going past the red line on the winding parts..
What you mean past the red line?? That car has none.

Cheers for that midlifecris, next time your over left me know and I'll organise a meet for ya.

(Post Link) post #14 of 17 Old 06-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post

Cheers for that midlifecris, next time your over left me know and I'll organise a meet for ya.
Now that sounds like a plan. I'd defo be up for that.
Damien_C

Good man, let us know and it will be done

Eric C

The next time your over,try the beara peninsula.It would be as good if not better than the Ring of Kerry.I would recommend that on your way back to Rosslare, go south from Tralee into Kenmare,onto Castletownbere and Schull,taking in all the crazy roads on the way.Sheer bliss in the right motor.

[QUOTE=klapanciusz;2673172]Agree about the Connor pass, we were there in February, at late night and in heavy fog. We met some suicidal sheep, but the car was great

The sheep have the right of way on the roads and if you kill one the farmer can sue you.

Damien_C

We did that ourselves coming home from the Healy pass was some fun

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , drivning , ireland

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page