Mondello open track days - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 55 Old 10-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

159 3.2

Mondello open track days

Anyone done of these before i.e. with their own car rather than the racing school days? Was hoping to put the 159 through its paces this summer but wanted to know how much it wears out your tyres, how many cars do they let out at a time/is there much chance of getting a bump, what the story is with having to bring your own helmet - where do you get one, how much should it cost, etc.
Any help appreciated!
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Re: Mondello open track days

Tim, I wouldn't recommend going out on the Open Track days as its mostly yahoos in their Glanzas out on those days and there is a higher chance of one of them bumping into you.

Better off going out with a group of enthusiasts as they mostly keep to themselves apart from the odd one or 2.

A guy I know goes out all the time in his M3 at Mondello with their VIP club they have out there but they have just put a charge on joining that club, where it was free up to 6 months ago as long as you had a decent enough car.

I brought the GT out once before with the Octane group. I took it handy but it was nice to test the car on an open track. I think Mondello restrict it to about 40 cars per session and it was a 4hr session for about €150. You need to have your own helmet aswell. Lidl did them a few weeks back. If you get one, get an open face one.

I'll make some enquiries for you. As for the tyres, mine were about to get changed so I wore them down that day, but unless you're going really hard into the corners, they'll be fine. Its mostly the rear wheel drive cars that work them harder.

Tim, is your 159 a Ti spec?

Current Car: '09 Subaru Legacy Tourer

Previous Cars:
'00 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3 in Proteo Red
'07 GT 1.9JTDm Monza in Silver
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Any motorbike shop in the country will have helmets. Agree about getting an open face one alright. Would be interesting to do one of these alright. Would prefer to have access to a 3l GTV for it instead though. Still the FSD's and eibachs should help somewhat for cornering, just more grunt would be needed. I could see myself destroying my daily car though..
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Daryl View Post
Any motorbike shop in the country will have helmets. Agree about getting an open face one alright. Would be interesting to do one of these alright. Would prefer to have access to a 3l GTV for it instead though. Still the FSD's and eibachs should help somewhat for cornering, just more grunt would be needed. I could see myself destroying my daily car though..
most of the guys I went out with had their daily drives with them...its really up to you how hard you push it. For a track like Mondello, the diesel was more or less useless as it has only one proper straight.

3ps's GTV would be perfect for this....I was considering it only the timing is wrong at the moment with other financial commitments
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

I would never bring my car to a track day.

It's too expensive not to go around like a loony and I just wouldn't do it to the car. If you're not tearing your tyres you're not going fast enough! I believe there's a track oop North (don't know it's name) that is much cheaper, though not quite as good a layout as Mondello - where it might be easier to justify paying the lesser amount and taking it kind of handy.
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

The place up north is Kirkistown
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

That rings a bell yeah.
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Had mine out on Mondello at the Octane Track Days too.

Tyre wear will happen around the outer rim. However it is the brakes that will limit you. If they are standard and you are pushing hard, I would imagine your time on track will be around 6 laps before a cool down is required.
(I was only getting 3 laps at full belter, on the full circut )
Mechanically, the only after affect I encountered was a CV boot to be replaced. As I had to drive the car home after the track day, my "full belter" mode was perhpas not quite 100% .

As above, I have heard nothing good about the open track days. Those in €1k track cars Vs those in their €60k beauties... who cares more..
The VIP is a good choice as most people there are serious about their cars.

Up North is Kirkistown as mentioned.
They have an open track day on the 26th of this month.
I'm risking it, so I can let you know how it goes.
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volmars View Post

Tyre wear will happen around the outer rim. However it is the brakes that will limit you. If they are standard and you are pushing hard, I would imagine your time on track will be around 6 laps before a cool down is required.
I met you at one of those Octane Track days about 8 months ago. That day we had the full International circuit and I think anything less would be pointless. Have to agree with you about the brakes, I was only getting 4-5 laps and then had to rest the car for about 45 mins. Also, remember when you complete a few laps, don't pull the handbrake, just leave it in gear

Like Volmars said, you can get a 1k car hitting a 60k car. Happened that day I was there...The guy in the 1k car was a bit of a loony and every time I seen him in my rear view, I gave him a wide berth and plenty opportunity to pass. However, in the end the law of averages happened and he took out a Lotus
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-O View Post
I met you at one of those Octane Track days about 8 months ago.

However, in the end the law of averages happened and he took out a Lotus
yup! remembers meeting you too Tom. I was well impressed with the GT's speed down the straight (from the pit wall) but you seemed under impressed.... althought if you had and extra half km on the straight... me thinks you would have been happier...

Re the Lotus.... in fairness, he did admit full responsibility and I believe he coverd the cost of repair. (Don't think his Lexus would have maded it out of the Carpark if he didn't... )
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
(Don't think his Lexus would have maded it out of the Carpark if he didn't... )
I got that impression alright, but from what I saw throughout the day, he was being a bit reckless and had a few close shaves before the prang with the Lotus. He skimmed by me once at the back of the track and I was trying to give him plenty space to pass. After that I waited till he came in before I went out
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

True. Can't disagree.
I was fortunate not to come across him on track....

And that is the problem with track days.... come accross a Porsche in your Afla and you can be certain neither of you care for a fender bender. Come accross a 1990 Roll cage ford fiesta (e.g.) and only one person really cares...

But not to discourage you Tim, track days are well worth it. Choosing the right TD is the challenge.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Make sure you read the small print of your insurance, before you do this. Also, I found the advanced driving training some tracks also offer very useful. I did the Gerhard Berger training on the Hungaroring, and it was great fun.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

I did about 15 open track days in Mondello before the VIP days came along.
The VIP days are normally totally open pit lane, and are much preferable but generally these need a pretty fast car to qualify, and you are supposed to need a fair bit of experience before you can get to join.
That said I really enjoyed the open days too when I was starting out ..

I haven't done an open day for a good while but in my day the cars are supposed to be graded by experience, value, and performance.
It normally would be rare for a bucket to mix with more expensive cars.. Hopefully this hasn't changed?

The VIP days would probably be a bit scarey for a rookie so I wouldn't rush to try and enter even if possible, the standard of driving normally is much higher, but many of the participants are race drivers and machinery is very high performance (probably up to 20 seconds a lap quicker than a 3.2v6 159 is capable of! )

I never had any problems at open days but you do need your wits about you. A "closed day" such as Octane.ie started doing might be the easiest way into it if you join the site etc, I believe its a relatively genteel outing.
Whatever type of track day you do really its a matter of watching your mirrors and giving room to ANYBODY who catches up with you.
If they are behind you they ARE faster, get out of the way as early as possible and dont hold them up needlessly ..
Help them overtake you on the straights, dont tempt them to overtake you on corners, which generally they arent supposed to do - but if you have held them up for a lap they will get tempted..
Occasionaly there is a real plonker on track who doesn't provide sufficient track space , you should spotted them fairly quickly
and just avoid being on the same part of the circuit as them. Let them pass you at the first opportunity - its not a race, you want to be sensible and have fun.
Most drivers in the higher classes (i.e. not buckets) were very well behaved when I did open days, the main problem wasn't aggressive overtaking - it was folks not pulling over to allow passing on the left.
Again just fall back and get your own space and it wont be a big deal.
If somebody misbehaves - DO complain to the organiser - they WILL have a word with the driver.

There should be loads of photo sites that show representative photos from open day sessions, if you are curious about what machinery would be present.

Tyre wear shouldn't really be a problem, I can get 3 full track days out of a set of PS2's with a supercharged GTA (4 with a standard GTA).
If folks are destroying their tyres in one day its most likely due to incorrect tyre pressures or incredibly rubbish tyres.

If you have Q4 you should be fine, except that the 159 is pretty heavy but it certainly wont spin its wheels too much.
If the tyres are scrubbing senselessly to the point where steering does nothing it generally means you have tried to take a slow corner way too fast, slow-in fast out is the way to go.

Do increase your pressure by 10% before taking to the track, and then cap at a level that keeps tyre wear on the sidewall limit.
Do NOT start with low pressure and wait for it to get high, that just superheats your tyres

Your Irish insurance generally will not cover anything to do with track days..
Once you approach things sensibly though the risk is primarily in your hands.

Upgrading the brake fluid for your car, due to its weight would be a good idea, you dont need a Dot 5.1, a racing Dot 4 would be more appropriate.

Hope this helps,
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim159 View Post
Anyone done of these before i.e. with their own car rather than the racing school days? Was hoping to put the 159 through its paces this summer but wanted to know how much it wears out your tyres, how many cars do they let out at a time/is there much chance of getting a bump, what the story is with having to bring your own helmet - where do you get one, how much should it cost, etc.
Any help appreciated!
Tim

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

You have a good point there Trailbreaker about the VIP days. I've seen your GTA a few times out at Mondello. My mate that does the VIP days, would be fairly experienced and done a lot of them so going toe to toe with 911's/M3's/M5's is nothing daunting to him.

Octane do about 3-4 track days per year but you need to be registered and have a min no of posts before you can get on the list.
(Post Link) post #16 of 55 Old 15-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-O View Post
Tim, I wouldn't recommend going out on the Open Track days as its mostly yahoos in their Glanzas out on those days and there is a higher chance of one of them bumping into you.

Better off going out with a group of enthusiasts as they mostly keep to themselves apart from the odd one or 2.

A guy I know goes out all the time in his M3 at Mondello with their VIP club they have out there but they have just put a charge on joining that club, where it was free up to 6 months ago as long as you had a decent enough car.

I brought the GT out once before with the Octane group. I took it handy but it was nice to test the car on an open track. I think Mondello restrict it to about 40 cars per session and it was a 4hr session for about €150. You need to have your own helmet aswell. Lidl did them a few weeks back. If you get one, get an open face one.

I'll make some enquiries for you. As for the tyres, mine were about to get changed so I wore them down that day, but unless you're going really hard into the corners, they'll be fine. Its mostly the rear wheel drive cars that work them harder.

Tim, is your 159 a Ti spec?

Thanks for that TeeO I had emailed Modello autumn last year about whether my 3.2 (it's not a TI) would qualify for the Vip days and they said it should be ok - I hadn't heard about the new charge though! Before that it was only a small bit more than the regular ones. Are there separate enthusiast days? Could we if there was enough interest organise an Alfa (or perhaps more realistically, an Italian) day?

Not knowing anything about helmets, what does open face mean? No visor?
(Post Link) post #17 of 55 Old 15-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Quote:

Up North is Kirkistown as mentioned.
They have an open track day on the 26th of this month.
I'm risking it, so I can let you know how it goes.

How do you know you need to rest the brakes? Burning smells??

Make sure to let me know how Kirkistown goes!
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Assuming you don't have carbon discs Your brakes will fade to the point where they are useless. That plus the smell. You will know because they will be deteriorating gradually throughout your session.
(Post Link) post #19 of 55 Old 15-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbraker View Post
I did about 15 open track days in Mondello before the VIP days came along.

Hope this helps,
TB
Great advice Trailbreaker - very helpful. Thanks for taking the time for such a long note!

It seems sensible to try a enthusiast or Octane day before trying to plunge into a Vip day, and to avoid the regular days if possible. I've done a driver day before there in the saloons and 2 seaters and some carting but by no means would classify myself as experienced. Would probably be holding expert day drivers up with my heavy 159 without a good bit of practice.
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
Make sure to let me know how Kirkistown goes!
my mate that does the VIP & BMW track days at Mondello did Kirkistown a few weeks ago. He couldn't praise it enough. Plenty time with instructors, better track than Mondello, food all day, price was good. Only draw back was the drive up & down.

As for an Italian day, I think you need 40 people for Mondello. Do we have the interest from the site here for 40 people?
AO Member

Member car:

Renault Sport

Quote:
Could we if there was enough interest organise an Alfa (or perhaps more realistically, an Italian) day?
?
Now that would be great.

So, rough estimates:
Hire the track €5-6,000 (including Insurance)?
Numbers: min of 40 = €150 per driver.

Don't think there would be enough Alfaowners (ROI and NI) interested. Reckon we would need to involve other clubs?
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

That would be fantastic and I'd defo get the 75 ready for it Though 40 would be hard to get ...
(Post Link) post #23 of 55 Old 15-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 3.2

Yeah, 40 seems like a massive ask, given we get maybe 15 cars to a general meet. You could probably spend months trying to cordinate with other clubs and still struggle with the numbers. And we couldn't possibly ask BMW
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
And we couldn't possibly ask BMW
Them guys have their own track days...they actually had one yesterday. I know though that they have other marques at their meets but noteably german ones though
mo4
AO Member

County: -

There was about 10 Alfas at a trackday in Mondello last year, so 40 might not be totally out of the question.

Also possible to rent track for a half day so even with 20 folks the price might not be too bad (only slight robbery rather than blatent robbery )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
days , mondello , open , track

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page