Alfa Sales Jan/Feb. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 06-03-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Alfa Sales Jan/Feb.

28 Mitos sold in Jan/Feb.
10 147's
35 159's
1 Brera
1 GT
Don't see spider on list...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attac...2&d=1236345211

Last edited by bluefoam; 06-03-09 at 20:55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

Re: Alfa Sales Jan/Feb.

Not unbelivably bad to be honest.

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

As Damien says, not too bad to be fair! At least some cars are actually shifting, 40% of which are the new MiTo
Damien_C

Considering the amount of VW's and Opels are sitting down in the NVD in Cork it's not bad at all.

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

You should see the Hondas at Royal Portbury Docks on the Bristol Channel!!
Damien_C

A lot I would imagine. We have alash of Fords, Nissans and Hondas sitting up too.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy156 View Post
You should see the Hondas at Royal Portbury Docks on the Bristol Channel!!
The Joy Riders will be down there tomorrow with a Vengeance now, after reading that. Hoodies all over the place in the afternoon in Bristol City Centre, just waiting for the right moment to get the Cars " Hot Wired "....and up the M5, quicker than a Michael Jackson facelift !!!.....
AO Silver Member

County: Longford

in a market thats down 65.1%, the Italians aren't doing too badly! (Fiat & Alfa combined down 54.7%)

Alfa Romeo down 33.3%, Fiat down 57.4%
Fiat 500 down 36% @ 46 (have Irish people no taste?)
Fiat Panda down 50% @ 39 (its getting old)
Fiat Punto down 56.2% @ 153 (its a complete disaster for Fiat)
Fiat Bravo down 66.3% @ 135 (shame)
Fiat Doblo down 68.2% @ 14 (too old)
Fiat Sedici down 92.9% @ 1 (crikey!)

you notice, the bigger the Fiat, the bigger the fall!
Alfa MiTo, @ 28 isn't too bad but i would have thought Alfa would have wanted more

Alfa 147 down 50% @ 10 (i hope they got a good deal!)
Alfa 159 down 51% @ 35 ( i love this thing, but its just not good enough!)
Alfa GT down 94.1% @ 1 (getting long in the tooth now!)
Alfa Brera down 80% @ 1 (don't even get me started on this....)

however, scanning through the numbers, it could have been worse, we could be SAAB fanatics! SAAB 93 down 91% (33) & 95 down 97% (3)

But it would appear that in Ireland if you don't wear a Ford/Toyota/Opel badge theres not much point being here, what a dull crowd we've become!

146, 147, 156, 164, 166, GTV - This is becoming a bit obsessive!

Last edited by toby2449; 09-03-09 at 15:21.
Damien_C

Yep, Ford are leading the tables. And I disagree about the 159 it's a great car. And Brera is a class car too bit pricey but still class.

It's strange the Punto isn't doing well but the 500's aren't too bad. I saw an abarth in cork the other night was mint

AO Silver Member

Yeah Punto just isn't doing it the way the Uno & original 2 versions of the Punto did, sales fell by about 25% in Europe last year, & in Ireland (where the original Punto was best seller in 1999) this version for some reason just can't cut it. And its odd as my wife owns one & i think its brill!
Damien_C

I think the damage and the name the punto has. The Social welfare car kinda doesn't help and Fiat reliablity bad name too

Mario Andretti

As I said on another forum but we are only talking about complete cars but there is also the old FPT group (fiat power train) this means that most opel diesels are Fiat powered along with Suzuki and some of the PSA group (peugeot and citroen) and to top it off the new Ford Fiesta is being built by Fiat and the new Ford Ka is the Fiat 500 platform so on this I do believe that Fiat is a very big player compared to the other manufacturers. Even the product line up is one of the freshest that is available to customers as how many of the Fiat/Alfa product line is over 4 years old and then look at the competitors who are generally only updating old product.

Damien_C

It does seem like Fiat are in a good situation compared to a lot of other manufacturers. I was in a brand new MVI Golf today and to be honest it wasn't very impressive. Looks good when you glance at the interior but incomparison to say the 159, Brera, Mito range it's like night and day.

The plastics and cheap doorcards in the Golf is not a good thing when they are as pricey as that.

AO Member

County: Ceredigion

I'm wondering what special offers Alfa are offering on the Mito and 147 ranges now...are they missing a trick with the credit crunch ? Perhaps tighter profit margins would help shift cars. I like the Mito apart from the headlamps..they are awful to be fair
Mario Andretti

Yeah but the Punto Grande had an incredible first year where 25% of all cars sold in europe in its first year was the Grande and this is only one model of the Fiat range what other manufacturer has done that since the 80's

Damien_C

The Grande is a nice car imo. Looks good, haven't driven one but I'd say it handles well too.

AO Silver Member

i'd love to drive a MiTo & feel the difference between it & the GP. Although i love my wife's GP (it does handle brilliantly-show it a back road & it thrives!) but it does feel cheap, & really heavy, my wifes old 2001 Punto would run rings around her GP in terms of performance.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredx19 View Post
As I said on another forum but we are only talking about complete cars but there is also the old FPT group (fiat power train) this means that most opel diesels are Fiat powered along with Suzuki and some of the PSA group (peugeot and citroen) and to top it off the new Ford Fiesta is being built by Fiat and the new Ford Ka is the Fiat 500 platform so on this I do believe that Fiat is a very big player compared to the other manufacturers. Even the product line up is one of the freshest that is available to customers as how many of the Fiat/Alfa product line is over 4 years old and then look at the competitors who are generally only updating old product.
The Fiesta isn't built by Fiat! The Ka is though in Poland along side the 500 & Panda (all 3 cars being based on the same platform)

Fiat have other partnerships & these mainly are based around powerplants & transmissions, (Chery, Tata, GM, Suzuki, PSA & Sollers Group) . The partnerships that are about more than engines/transmissions are with GM (Opel Corsa) & PSA range of commercials & small & large MPVs' though the next generation large MPV's Phedra & Ulysee will not be a co-op between PSA & FGA.

But Fiat isn't a very big player. FGA i think are about 10th in the world in terms of unit sales. VAG unit sales are about 6m, Toyota & GM about 9m each, Nissan & PSA about 3.5m each. FGA unit sales are approx 2.6m
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingredalfa View Post
I'm wondering what special offers Alfa are offering on the Mito and 147 ranges now...are they missing a trick with the credit crunch ? Perhaps tighter profit margins would help shift cars. I like the Mito apart from the headlamps..they are awful to be fair
FGA have been told not to do special offers just to move units. In the bad old days Fiat used to pile them high & sell them cheap, virtually making no money from unit sales, Fiat's CEO has insisted they will not be cutting margins just to shift cars, his aim is to maximise the return from each unit sold.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredx19 View Post
Yeah but the Punto Grande had an incredible first year where 25% of all cars sold in europe in its first year was the Grande and this is only one model of the Fiat range what other manufacturer has done that since the 80's
actually thats part of Fiat's problem, its relys so heavily on its small cars, & small cars (with the exception of 500) have small returns!

as a % of Fiats total European sales, this is part of the breakdown for 2008

GP @ 30%
Panda @ 23%
500 @ 18%
Bravo @ 10%
Croma @ 3%

Just to give an example of the history of the Punto's importance for Fiat, in 2001 the Punto alone represented 50.7% of all Fiat cars sold in Europe!

Though all the Italian marques have this problem...

At one point Lancia Ypsilon accounted for 75% of Lancia's sales, it now equals 54% of sales, the Musa accounting for 30%.

Alfa rely heavily on two cars, the 147 & 159, in 08 the 147 accounted for 33% & the 159 41%

Basically if any of the cars menioned above fail, the Italians will be in trouble, to be so reliant on just a handful of cars is not good practice.

Last edited by toby2449; 11-03-09 at 17:18.
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2449 View Post
i'd love to drive a MiTo & feel the difference between it & the GP. Although i love my wife's GP (it does handle brilliantly-show it a back road & it thrives!) but it does feel cheap, & really heavy, my wifes old 2001 Punto would run rings around her GP in terms of performance.
Ya but sure all the small car bar the 07 KA got heavier etc. It's "progress" allegadly.

The Mito is great craic round the bends just like the Bravo is.

AO Silver Member

ah Damien you've obviously tried the MiTo, now having driven a Bravo the one thing i'd like to change is the steering, its pretty awful, so how's the MiTo's??
Damien_C

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-...o-ireland.html

There ya go bud.

I think all modern cars with there leccy steering seem to have that weird light weight feel to them. Wasn't the best but you get used to it after a while.

AO Silver Member

cheers for that, doesn't she look gorgeous!!
Damien_C

Ya was very nice loved the leather in the yoke

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , jan or feb , sales

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page