All-Ireland Re-Map Session? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 82 Old 24-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

All-Ireland Re-Map Session?

Howdy all

Would any of ye have any interest in getting your Alfas remapped later on in the year (Sept/Oct)?

It's next on my to-do list and it seems that there are a shortage of well regarded tuners (as far as AR goes) over here, so I was going to look into the possibility of getting one of the recognised English outfits over (only makes sense if we have enough to make it worth their while).

Will let the Nordies know as well

(There was an Angel Tuning Rep promoting himself here a few months back-anyone take him up on his offer?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

Re: All-Ireland Re-Map Session?

I have tried it already. There was no real interest and for the Non diesel members it's not worth the chunk of change they are asking. 300 plus euro for a remap from Angel the last time he was onto me.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/repub...-road-day.html

And I tried to organise a remap thread too like yourself. There was interest but no commitment to it in the end. And most people didn't really think the money spent was worth the net gain from the remap. And unless your getting cams etc it's not really worth the effort.

(Post Link) post #3 of 82 Old 24-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Yeah, I figured that there wouldn't be much interest from non-JTDs (and we don't have many of them), but didn't want to exclude anybody

Que sera sera.....
Damien_C

Ahh ya. I wasn't putting down the thread etc was just saying don't be too disappointed if the people don't come running lol.

(Post Link) post #5 of 82 Old 24-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Just throwing it out there-I'll be getting it done regardless, I would rather use someone who has done Alfas before (anyone in Ireland???), but if not, I will go to someone over here.

I'll bump this every so often.
Damien_C

The only person I know that is very good with diesels is Martin Tracy in Westward. He is out in Enfield in Co. Meath Westward Precision Engineering . Also Phil D here owns a tuning company. Not sure if they do diesels though. They are in the North so a bit of a spin.

AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'07 GT 1.9 JTDm

Sorry to hijack but what else should you really be getting done if you get it remapped?
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Ciaran, my warranty isn't up until next Jan so I'll be steering clear of any re-map until then if I still have the car. Still looking into the tuning box add-on but need to do a bit more research
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbullets View Post
Sorry to hijack but what else should you really be getting done if you get it remapped?
Nothing really if the car is of good health. What I would reccomend post remap is upping the servicing on the car. As you are putting the engine under extra stress.

(Post Link) post #10 of 82 Old 24-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbullets View Post
I asked Gerry in Ti about this and he was of the view, if you drive the car hard, yes, you will need new clutches and turbos, but if you don't trash it, he didn't see why existing kit wasn't ok.

Now, Gerry would know that I had a new clutch fitted not that long ago, so plenty of wear left on that, and, my main motivation for getting this done is the increased torque at lower revs and not higher speeds.

The (new) Cloverleaf GT has a 'sport' button that increases the bhp by 20-30 bhp, in what I assume is pretty much the same engine in older GTs....

Others seem to say that an uprated clutch and a Q2 are a necessity. You will get much more informed opinions than mine elsewhere on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-O View Post
Ciaran, my warranty isn't up until next Jan so I'll be steering clear of any re-map until then if I still have the car. Still looking into the tuning box add-on but need to do a bit more research
Too much mixed opinion about these for my liking Tom-I'll be going with the remap. If I knew you would be up for a remap in Jan, I would gladly hold off until then and get the suspension upgraded first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
The only person I know that is very good with diesels is Martin Tracy in Westward. He is out in Enfield in Co. Meath Westward Precision Engineering . Also Phil D here owns a tuning company. Not sure if they do diesels though. They are in the North so a bit of a spin.
Cheers.

Last edited by Damien_C; 25-02-09 at 13:07.
Damien_C

I just merged your posts bud to keep the thread neet.

AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

I was recommended

Chipped Ireland - Homepage

by alfatuner (member in the uk). He reckons they are the best in Ireland.... they still dont do the JTS though
Damien_C

I've never heard of them.

(Post Link) post #14 of 82 Old 25-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Daryl
I was recommended

Chipped Ireland - Homepage

by alfatuner (member in the uk). He reckons they are the best in Ireland.... they still dont do the JTS though
They still haven't responded to my e-mail from 2 days ago. They are based in Straffan apparently (which would be very handy for me!). I did see them mentioned on Octane.ie-not too popular with the Bimmer heads I think....

As for remapping a JTS, I'm not sure that many in the UK even do it.

I actually was looking at a thread in the UK North West Lounge on a group buy and thought that would be alright, ferry from Dublin to Liverpool......just priced it on P&O-over on Friday night, back on Saturday night, a shade under €300-FFS-would be cheaper bring the engine and ECU as checked baggage on Ryanair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C
I just merged your posts bud to keep the thread neet.
No bother and cheers.
AO Member

County: Donegal

Member car:

GT Blackline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
I actually was looking at a thread in the UK North West Lounge on a group buy and thought that would be alright, ferry from Dublin to Liverpool......just priced it on P&O-over on Friday night, back on Saturday night, a shade under €300-FFS-would be cheaper bring the engine and ECU as checked baggage on Ryanair.
Thought about this myself a few weeks ago when the UK SW crew were going to red dot. Would it not be possible to go over and back in one day, should bring the price down a fair bit?
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Either way a very costly trip if thats all your going for. I'm still going to try merge it sometime with a 5 day trip with herself. Couldnt justify going over purely for a remap.
(Post Link) post #17 of 82 Old 26-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by manails View Post
Thought about this myself a few weeks ago when the UK SW crew were going to red dot. Would it not be possible to go over and back in one day, should bring the price down a fair bit?
Well, I only checked P&O and the sailings to Liverpool were 10am and 10 pm-if you were going to Red Dot, you would struggle to make it. Anywhere in the NW could be feasible I guess. I was looking at 10pm departure on Friday and back at the same time on Saturday.

However, unless the cost was something like the €50-€100 range return, I don't think it would be worth it. But if you find a route and price that works, let me know .

P.S. where in Donegal are you based? I'm from around Letterkenny originally.
AO Member

Member car:

many

Quote:
They still haven't responded to my e-mail from 2 days ago. They are based in Straffan apparently (which would be very handy for me!). I did see them mentioned on Octane.ie-not too popular with the Bimmer heads I think....
Hi , Regarding the BMW thing . Chippeduk flew over to Ireland to do a good few bmw's and did a poor job . At the time I was Listed as one of his dealers since I bought equipment off him .Because of that I got the heat for all the crappy work he had done .

Ive nothing got to do with chippeduk in any way or form .

Regarding my tuning for BMW , I cant be that bad since I helped Gus with the mapping of a E46 330d in the 24hour in Silverstone . The car came second

Check out VAGdrivers and you will get the real picture what Chipped Ireland are about

Regards Joe Power

And Yes , We can do the JTS

Last edited by cartech; 26-02-09 at 12:11.
Damien_C

What about the older cars and how are they mapped on a roller or road maped?

AO Member

Member car:

many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
What about the older cars and how are they mapped on a roller or road maped?
We can map them on a roller , all based on correct afr and ignition timing .

Regarding "live mapping " , not all ecu's can be live mapped due to the electronics , checksums , time and cost

Live mapping is a long process that can normally take about 2 days to do with the flash chips been replaced with a socket and using an emulator connected dirrectly to the ecu .

Regarding the JTS . This Motronic ecu can only be done in whats call boot mode , the ecu has to be opened and a couple of resisters soldered onto the board to force the ecu into a "boot diagnostics" mode .

This is the ONLY way to do this ecu , even alfa cant get into them to update the flash
(Post Link) post #21 of 82 Old 26-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartech View Post
Hi , Regarding the BMW thing . Chippeduk flew over to Ireland to do a good few bmw's and did a poor job . At the time I was Listed as one of his dealers since I bought equipment off him .Because of that I got the heat for all the crappy work he had done .

Ive nothing got to do with chippeduk in any way or form .

Regarding my tuning for BMW , I cant be that bad since I helped Gus with the mapping of a E46 330d in the 24hour in Silverstone . The car came second

Check out VAGdrivers and you will get the real picture what Chipped Ireland are about

Regards Joe Power

And Yes , We can do the JTS
Thanks for the info-just to say that there were no details on Octane, but it was just that I'd come across the thread while searching.

Are you based in Staffan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartech
Regarding the JTS . This Motronic ecu can only be done in whats call boot mode , the ecu has to be opened and a couple of resisters soldered onto the board to force the ecu into a "boot diagnostics" mode .
I presume the JTD map is a lot more straightforward?
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Quote:

Regarding "live mapping " , not all ecu's can be live mapped due to the electronics , checksums , time and cost

Live mapping is a long process that can normally take about 2 days to do with the flash chips been replaced with a socket and using an emulator connected dirrectly to the ecu .

This is the ONLY way to do this ecu
AO Member

County: Londonderry

An All-Ireland Re-Map Session!!!

Jeez, you had better keep that quiet from the DUP. There'll be all sorts of ructions.
AO Member

County: Donegal

Member car:

GT Blackline

Quote:
Well, I only checked P&O and the sailings to Liverpool were 10am and 10 pm-if you were going to Red Dot, you would struggle to make it. Anywhere in the NW could be feasible I guess. I was looking at 10pm departure on Friday and back at the same time on Saturday.

However, unless the cost was something like the €50-€100 range return, I don't think it would be worth it. But if you find a route and price that works, let me know .

P.S. where in Donegal are you based? I'm from around Letterkenny originally.
Had a quick look at ferry prices there, €240 with irish ferries There is an offer on at the moment of €70 each way, but only during the week. Looking at the ferry times i think your right abouy having to stay overnight.

From Ardara, so bout 35mins from Letterkenny
Damien_C

Quote:

This is the ONLY way to do this ecu , even alfa cant get into them to update the flash

Nice one man. I'll put my car up to your test if ye want to do it cheaper to gain some interest in Alfa drivers.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
allireland , remap , session

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page