Farewell - Head over heart time :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

techie

Farewell - Head over heart time :(

I have had to sell the 147 and move away from Alfa as it was getting too expensive with the high mileage I do every year

I hopefully will return if Alfa bring out a car that doesn't go through oil, suspension, steering parts like they were going out of fashion.

It was a great drive while it lasted but too expensive to maintain for me in the present climate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Farewell - Head over heart time :(

No worries, and I can understand your sentiments. So what'll you have as a replacement then? Or maybe you have the other already? :
techie

Thanks Zulu, I got a great deal on a 07 Cee'd with 5 years warranty left on it and only 2000miles on the clock so couldn't resist the calm of not having to worry about the next bang, crash or creak .

AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
I hopefully will return if Alfa bring out a car that doesn't go through oil, suspension, steering parts like they were going out of fashion.
but is that not the whole point of alfa ownership....the rough with the smooth?

County: Cork
Garage

Sorry to hear that Paul Don't be a stranger
techie

It is the point but it gets you down when there seems to be 10 roughs to every smooth

Don't worry Dave I have not got rid of my Internet

AO Platinum Member

No, stick around mate.: The Ce'ed on a weekend trial, comes across as a decent machine, and that should give anyone peace of mind I reckon. So good luck, and keep us updated, as I doubt there is a forum for them specifically yet, as they are pretty reliable by all accounts? And as for the warranty, just what's required Eh?:
techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
No, stick around mate.: The Ce'ed on a weekend trial, comes across as a decent machine, and that should give anyone peace of mind I reckon. So good luck, and keep us updated, as I doubt there is a forum for them specifically yet, as they are pretty relaible by all accounts? And as for the warranty, just what's required Eh?:
Thanks, wife already has one for last 2 years and so far it is ultra reliable and only needs oil in every service (15k), funny that

AO Platinum Member

I've had a look at a few 'K' machines, and from observations they are a very well screwed together bundle. And as the workers are part of the community dwelling right alongside the works, cradle to grave, they are conscientious in the extreme.And their fine tolerance engineering is second to none.: Still, what do I know?: Peepers tell me so.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

I like the look of the Kia Ceed myself, and that 5 year warranty is pretty damn handy too.

Not a bad replacement for the 147 at all
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

An Alfa

A friend of mine has a Kia Piccanto. It's utter rubbish, very flimsy, plastics are cheap n nasty, tinny, soulless, uncomfortable and I'd hate to have an accident in it.....
AO Platinum Member

F's missus has good reports for the Picanto, ok, may not be up to the quality of his 159, but fine as a runabout for urban use. And all plastics are crap ultimately, if you compare them against materials like 500 year old Lombardy Walnut, Connolly hide and so on? RR's/ Bents.

I stand by my observations that the 'K' cars are well constructed, but it's the competitive pricing that comes across as most favourable, plus the extended absence of frequent repairs, servicing, and so forth, plus those long warranties, in this current economic downturn.:
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Pity to hear Paul, you'll be back before you know it... hopefully.
AO Member

We had a hyundai people carrier for 3 years. The only warrenty claim i had was for a new radio.
Damien_C

I've lost all respect for you Paul Sorry to see the car had to go.

AO Member

Member car:

An Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
And all plastics are crap ultimately, if you compare them against materials like 500 year old Lombardy Walnut, Connolly hide and so on? RR's/ Bents.

I stand by my observations that the 'K' cars are well constructed

There are plastics, then there plastics, to paraphrase Vespa Lindt. The plastics in the Piccanto are so poor, I wasn't comparing against Royce's & Bentleys, just normal cars....

I hope you never have an accident, you don't want to know what my bodyshop owning friend said to me about Kias (and Hyundais). As they are so cheap, do you not wonder why? Eg Heinz baked beans v. tesco value, OK so the tesco ones are cheap but they are so inferior to Heinz.....
techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75twinsparky View Post
There are plastics, then there plastics, to paraphrase Vespa Lindt. The plastics in the Piccanto are so poor, I wasn't comparing against Royce's & Bentleys, just normal cars....

I hope you never have an accident, you don't want to know what my bodyshop owning friend said to me about Kias (and Hyundais). As they are so cheap, do you not wonder why? Eg Heinz baked beans v. tesco value, OK so the tesco ones are cheap but they are so inferior to Heinz.....
Cee'd has 5 star NCAP rating so fares a lot better that the Piccanto.

AO Platinum Member

Well explained Techie.: And as an aside, last summer, just before I sold the 147,( NCAP 3) I went into the body shop just outback of our house, to enquire about the chance of a good match for the red on the 147.

Anyway, got chatting with the boss, and I just enquired as to who owned the white Hyundai. He informed me he had just bought it for his son. So, I asked what he thought of the build quality. His reply was they are fine, well structured vehicle, with a solid underside with outriggers and chassis members that many manufacturers no longer use. I doubt if he would of regarded a flimsy car for his offsprings use? They are a VBRA registered company, so I think his view was worthy of respect?

And, well, plastic is plastic in my book, and sure some can be 'tonsed' up with dimple effects and various other surface textures, but they are still plastic. Plus the fixings and fittings are superlative to many other manufacturers, if you give them close examination too.:
AO Member

County: Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75twinsparky View Post

Not the worlds biggest Kia fan or have any experience with the Piccanto, but my dad's company car is a Sorento, he's had it for two years now and it has been extremely reliable, far more reliable than his previous 3 series which always seemed to have little things going wrong. And the spec and build quality in the sorento are excellent for a car that is just over 50,000 euro's, the leather seats are excellent quality, heated seats, great stereo and it drives really well.. The only thing I don't like so much about it when I'm driving is the badge. But i do believe Kia will create a good name for themselfs in this sort of financial climate as so many people will downsize and try to cut back and nothing is better than their fleet of cars that have a 7 year warranty

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Well by the sounds of the deal you got I dont blame you
AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

In this present economic climate who can blame you?
AO Platinum Member

With any car, you pays yer' money, the troubles come free?:
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 190Bhp

I’m just after coming out of a Kia Sportage and into an Alfa 159 two weeks ago. The Kia was as stated before “bullet proof”. I clocked 90K Km in 14th Months on the Kia. Only 2 problems ever was lack of sex appeal, and a mass air flow meter but it was changed under warranty, other than that it never gave a days problem, and let’s just say it did not get much tlc…

It’ll be interesting to see how the 159 stands up to the mileage?
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

how do you fix the lack of sex appeal under warranty?

seriously, I find more design effort put into a Alfa floormat than a into a whole car from Korea/Japan

I was driving a rented Kia Rio in Malta a few years ago, and my wife refused to sit in any Korean cars after that... She was really worried about the rustholes under her feet and the door opened if you parked with only one rear wheel on the curb.

Hopefully it's only temporary, and you'll be the 1st in Ireland buying the Alfa 169 soon
AO Member

Thats a pity. Good luck with the Kia.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
farewell , head , heart , time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page