About to import my first Alfa - 07 1.9 GT - thoughts? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 67 Old 04-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

'07 GT 1.9 JTDm

About to import my first Alfa - 07 1.9 GT - thoughts?

Hi folks,

First time poster, long time lurker...

I'm posting in the Irish forums because this thread will inevitably involve VRT at some point

Anyway, I'm so, so close to pulling the trigger on this GT: ALFA ROMEO GT 1.9 JTDm 16V Lusso 2dr

The dealer get a good write-up in here on the UK forums and the AA have given it a clean bill of health. While I was looking, it was also the cheapest 07 black GT I could find in the UK and I think it looks like a bit of a steal tbh.

I think I'm looking at about 7.5k in VRT which brings the total to about 22.5k which is the absolute cheapest that Tom in Alasta would sell me a similar car with double the mileage and less extras. I'm just wondering what the experts on this site think about it?

I'm test-driving it this Saturday, can't wait! Anyone had any experience with the VRT in relation to GTs? Especially when it comes to extras.

Cheers folks, love the forum! I'm almost an alfa-owner........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Re: About to import my first Alfa - 07 1.9 GT - thoughts?

Go for it you wont regret it. I made that exact same transition from Golf to Alfa last August. Rikd just imported diesel Brera last year so he might have some advise for you.
Best of luck with it, it looks really good and very nicely spec'd as you say.
(Post Link) post #3 of 67 Old 04-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'07 GT 1.9 JTDm

Cheers Gav, I've been researching for about a month now, here and on the big vrt thread over on boards. It's going to be a good drive home - newcastle to stranraer, ferry to Belfast and down to Dublin, just hope the weather picks up!

Also cheers to crewecat who paged me just now but my account doesn't let me reply so sorry about that.

County: Cork
Garage

Hi & welcome to AO That GT looks great & low milage also, hope it works out for you
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8ts

Look forward to seeing you at the next meet, car looks great, you are getting a great deal.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Welcome to AO THE OIRISH side

Looks a great bargain...and well I bought mine from the UK as well.. Just keep showing different sides of your anatomy to the speed camera's I did. you can check the vrt on revenue's site . I'll check and come back to you ........
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

7817 yoyo's
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

what about this one not too much more and a black line

Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTDm 16V BlackLine 2dr: 13990
AO Member

County: Arizona

welcome...
Nice GT
As mentione by GTVGav I imported Brera last October. VRT on extras depends a lot on what is showing and what the person in the VRT office is like on the day.
Generally - with 5k+ they don't chase it. They expect coupes to have more as standard. But be prepared just in case.
Also - make sure the quote you get from ros.ie https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT is for the exact model - they'll drive u nuts if this isn't right. It took 2 wks for them to get mine sorted and in the meantime customs officers were calling to the door

Watch out on the blackline Ed. - the VRT quote on ros.ie is €12,054 - considerably more than the non blackline. This is 'cos the emissions aren't in the system. Before buying I'd get a quote from the VRT office just to make sure.
Best thing to do - phone the dealer and get as much details as you can. VIN codes, reg, emissions, etc. They'll send this to Rosslare and then come back with a quote. It can take from 1 to 2wks.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

@ rick ... you are right but one can get a letter off the vrt office which allows you to drive the car till they make up their minds... I had one for mine as the 156 Ti 2litre was not on their system 1.8 , 1.6 ts was
AO Member

County: Galway

Also, if you can get a sound person in the revenue office they can knock 10% off the VRT straight away if you can convince them you'll have to spend money on the car to get it up to scratch.

I had to put a clutch in my GTV and had some dodgy paint at the back so they listed it as a poorly maintained one and took 10% off. I still haven't done the paint.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermo156Ti View Post
@ rick ... you are right but one can get a letter off the vrt office which allows you to drive the car till they make up their minds... I had one for mine as the 156 Ti 2litre was not on their system 1.8 , 1.6 ts was
Good advice - forgot about that - just make sure you keep it on you at all times.

didn't stop them knocking at my door
And at the time they were stopping ppl in limerick - so had those moments where I was thinking - "did I remember the letter today". Unfortunately, if you don't have the letter on u when they stop like that they do have the powers to confiscate your car then and there.

And one more thing depending on how your buying... If your going over and thinking of buying with a draft on a sat - you may want to check with the dealer. Some won't take a draft on a Sat as they can't confirm it with the bank - best thing is to send on the details of the draft to them on the Friday. Don't be afraid to haggle over the phone. I got a good deal when doing it.
(Post Link) post #13 of 67 Old 05-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'07 GT 1.9 JTDm

Cheers for the encouragement lads. Yeah, I've spoken to the dealer and we have the finances arranged if I decide to buy.

I think it's fairly obvious though, apart from a complete disaster, that this car is coming back to Ireland! Just need to get through the next two days of work!

I'm planning to pay the VRT on the following Monday so I'm hoping not to encounter any difficulties with customs or whoever.

Just can't wait to get my Irish reg and everything done and dusted.
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

I imported my 166. Based on the VRT calculator I was expecting to pay ~2k. However because the exact model wasn't in the system - my car is the only one with this spec in Ireland - somebody in Rosslare (without seeing my pride and joy) decided to value my car twice as much as I paid for it in GBP. So I had to pay 3.5k VRT. When I gave them the receipt for the car, plus a printout of a similar car for sale in Limerick (almost same spec, but manual) for less than 5k compared to their valuation, the officer said I have to pay up before I can complain, and there is also a possibility for the VRT to go up.
I was about to go on holidays in a few days, so I didn't have the time.

But be careful, very careful, there are quite a few horror stories. The "expert" was _copying_ the make and model of my car from the V5, and I had to ask him not to write 'A L P H A' instead of Alfa. Also, somebody tried to register an Alpina BMW, and they were insisting it's not a BMW. My friend imported a Skoda, and they got both the engine size, the description of the car (hatchback vs estate) and the gearbox wrong.
So good luck, but be prepared to stupidity, ignorance, abuse and all the other crap from envious people who hate you just because you drive a better can then rest of the country.

Last edited by klapanciusz; 05-02-09 at 10:15. Reason: typo
(Post Link) post #15 of 67 Old 05-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'07 GT 1.9 JTDm

Yeah, the appeal process is a bit backwards but 80% of appeals are successful (apparently).

At least there's plenty of GTs in Ireland around the 25k mark on carzone and the VRT valuation is about 30k so I'm definitely appealing as soon as I can. I'm also printing out a list of items that are standard spec in Ireland so they don't try to do me on the leather seats and bose stereo. In all honesty though, I suspect it will be ok.

My secret weapon is my mum who will be taking it to the VRO on my behalf as I can't get the time off work. She looks sweet and friendly but she'll go through you for a short-cut if you try to rip her off
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbullets View Post
Yeah, the appeal process is a bit backwards but 80% of appeals are successful (apparently).

At least there's plenty of GTs in Ireland around the 25k mark on carzone and the VRT valuation is about 30k so I'm definitely appealing as soon as I can. I'm also printing out a list of items that are standard spec in Ireland so they don't try to do me on the leather seats and bose stereo. In all honesty though, I suspect it will be ok.

My secret weapon is my mum who will be taking it to the VRO on my behalf as I can't get the time off work. She looks sweet and friendly but she'll go through you for a short-cut if you try to rip her off
just sent you a PM....I'm selling my GT if you are interested. Most of the lads on here know me and the car. It's not the black one you are after, but worth looking at, if you are interested

Last edited by Tee-O; 05-02-09 at 10:44.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-O View Post
just sent you a PM....I'm selling my GT if you are interested. Most of the lads on here know me and the car. It's not the black one you are after, but worth looking at, if you are interested
yes i HAVE seen this car in the flesh and I would agree... this is a mint car and ready to go....
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

I can't recall the spec of the lusso model here but I don't think it had leather seats in 07.
Maybe the VRT veterans here can answer the question, but if the lusso spec here doesn't have leather, is the car thats imported treated as the lusso here rather than a UK lusso?

WHat might happen is they might charge for the leather on your imprted car as the lusso here didn't have it...

In saying that, I don't think I've seen a GT here on sale that didn't have leather apart from 1 or 2

The 1.9 GT's seem to be holding price wise very well in the UK. Its a good sign for them

Current Car: '09 Subaru Legacy Tourer

Previous Cars:
'00 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3 in Proteo Red
'07 GT 1.9JTDm Monza in Silver

Last edited by Tee-O; 05-02-09 at 16:47.
AO Member

County: Galway

Don't take the car in, they may not request an inspection if you don't have it.......

County: Cork
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-O View Post
I can't recall the spec of the lusso model here but I don't think it had leather seats in 07.
Maybe the VRT veterans here can answer the question, but if the lusso spec here doesn't have leather, is the car thats imported treated as the lusso here rather than a UK lusso?
Tee-O is correct IIRC, The diesel Sportivo had leather as standard, the diesel Lusso had Alfatex as standard, the leather was an option for ~ 1800
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I got screwed on the VRT in Tallaght-was charged for everything-leather, metallic, alloys.....

The online calculator is a balls as it only makes reference to the JTDm or M-Jet - as there was no 'm' visible anywhere on my GT or on the VLC, off to Rosslare the spec had to go. (There was no reference to Lusso, Sportivo or anything else on the VLC or on the VRT calculator either)

At the time I imported my GT (last Feb) the OMSP was probably about right based on what cars were selling for here at the time-however prices have come down a lot so you may have some ammunition if you want to dispute their valuation-I certainly wouldn't agree with the kind of values the calculator is spitting out for my car just now.

Best of luck, a great car, although I regret not biting the bullet and getting the V6-ah well, something to look forward to maybe....
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCOVICH View Post
Best of luck, a great car, although I regret not biting the bullet and getting the V6-ah well, something to look forward to maybe....
They should have put the 2.4JTDm in the GT...
probably would have killed sales of the Brera then....
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

the GT is built on the 147 platform, there isn't enough space in the front for that big lump of tractor engine
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapanciusz View Post
the GT is built on the 147 platform, there isn't enough space in the front for that big lump of tractor engine
You're not kidding. I should post a pic of my engine bay sometime.. the 2.4 is huge!! Bigger than the V6 in the 147 GTA (I reckon about 15-20% bigger).
(Post Link) post #25 of 67 Old 06-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'07 GT 1.9 JTDm

Thanks for all the info folks. As long as the weather doesn't screw me over, I'll be driving it this time tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on with the tax man. Greedy fecker that he is.

I'm going from a 1.4 golf with 75hp so I'd say I won't know myself, never mind considering a bigger engined GT

Have to say as well, Benfield Alfa have been great as well so would recommend to anyone considering making a purchase.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , import , thoughts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page