156 Gta - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 22-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

156 Gta

With sterling being affordable right now, i was thinking about a GTA, have you seen the prices these are in the UK, i can use an address in ther UK to register it for six months to avoid the VRT. Can anybody advise if this is all that is required or are there strings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Galway
Re: 156 Gta

Lucky you with being able to register it there but I believe you will also have to prove residency there like.......bank statements, pay slips etc.
AO Member

Member car:

GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaffey View Post
Lucky you with being able to register it there but I believe you will also have to prove residency there like.......bank statements, pay slips etc.
ya unless you can categorically prove you have been living there with all the required documentation, you won't get away with it.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

You will also have to have it taxed over there obviously, you will need as already said, proof of residency so a bank account required. How much did you get quoted roughly for the VRT. Obviously paying the full 33% of open market selling value. Still a great car for a good price even if you were to pay the VRT. I know that the fine is the cost of the VRT. So you end up paying double if you try and scam them.
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 155ish

Why not buy it and park it up there for a couple of months over in the UK - althought to be honest I think the major difference is done at the year change. You pay the VRT based on day of import, not when you bought it. With car prices heading south you may be able to argue book value. Sterling is perfect now but your CO2 is always going to get you.

On a separate note in a years time I'm thinking of buying one for spare parts - no VRT - yippeee. The cost of any spares from Alfa is high and I figure in keeping mine a long time so it will more than pay for itself.

Rory
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Unless you live over there and can prove that you have been living there you won't win. The customs will not be fooled too easily. They can ask you for bank statements both here in ireland and also in UK. You can live here without money for longer than 6 months? without accessing your bank account think not. Also if they dont believe you they will just slap the bill on you and ( this is true) IMPOUND your car until you pay.

They have the authority to NOT believe you AND they don't have to say why.. Not a good idea buddy... Revenue officials are not stupid.

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Silver Member

County: Wicklow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermo156Ti View Post
Revenue officials are not stupid.
they are. but they have power, and it's the worst combination.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , gta

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page