Best Cars to Drive - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 69 Old 10-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Best Cars to Drive

I drove a 05 Porsche 911 3.6 today. Some power in it, and being pretty wet out it was a little twitchy which I like! Floored it in first and second using the tiptronic gears which were smooooth and yet gave a huge surge. Awesome drive.

I then got thinking about others cars I have driven and been in. I have driven an M5 and also had spins in a Ferrari 360 and a Lamborghini Countach which is quite special, didnt get to drive that though

What other good experiences have ppl had? Still havent driven a GTA which I'm not happy about!!

• Alfa 156 Silver 2003 JTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

Re: Best Cars to Drive

Nothing as exotic as that but I have driven, Teg Type R's and they are seriously handling for a FWD car. I have been in a E36 M3 seriously quick top end and was comfy too and that nice RWD feel you get with them.

But by far in a way the best car I have been in handling power and top end has to be the GTR R32 I was in at the weekend. It just ate road without a fuss. It was mind blowing and the engine was the only standard part on it I have to admit as everything else has been changed but you know that the chassis is perfect in them and they are light not ruined by weight like the new 4wd cars.

I will be in a E60 M5 soon enough so I will find out what that is like. I too still haven't been in a GTA but I will someday.

AO Member

County: Westmeath

Had a drive in a Toyota Corolla 1.3 once!
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_mike View Post
Had a drive in a Toyota Corolla 1.3 once!
Did it fall over?? They have the handling of a blamonge.

AO Member

Hehe. Got it into 2nd and didnt wanna push it any harder, so just pulled over and said thanks
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

had a go in one of the lads' 2.0 celica the other day it's got a few bits done to it, manifold, cat-back, remap.
that was pretty quick didn't like the clutch at all though, or the gearbox for that matter
Damien_C

They are truly awful, a chassis made of paper mache, brakes that would look powerful on a push bike. And steering made of wood.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
They are truly awful, a chassis made of paper mache, brakes that would look powerful on a push bike. And steering made of wood.

very clarkson-esque
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancido64 View Post
had a go in one of the lads' 2.0 celica the other day it's got a few bits done to it, manifold, cat-back, remap.
that was pretty quick didn't like the clutch at all though, or the gearbox for that matter
Clutchs are light like all Jap cars. And boxes are too short throw for our likens Was it a 3S-GE or a 3S-FE??

AO Member

Drove a Sierra Sapphire Cossie a good few years back
Still remember it to this day
Was the fastest thing I had ever driven at the time and I was absolutely crapping myself, but still wanted to go faster. I remember hitting 135mph on a straight, but bouncy, Irish bog road and thinking......"He was found dead in a Sierra Cosworth"
AO Silver Member

GE i think.. the import thats a little below 200bhp standard
Damien_C

Quote:
Drove a Sierra Sapphire Cossie a good few years back
Still remember it to this day
Was the fastest thing I had ever driven at the time and I was absolutely crapping myself, but still wanted to go faster. I remember hitting 135mph on a straight, but bouncy, Irish bog road and thinking......"He was found dead in a Sierra Cosworth"
Man, I know how ya feel. That car for me was a VR6 this was back in 96 when powerful cars where really rare in Ireland. I still remember that night we had a burn off it It was wet and it spun till 3rd gear god dam that was fun. Or the WRX Impreza that my uncles buddy had back in the day that car was class. And it was before they all came to Ireland from Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancido64 View Post
GE i think.. the import thats a little below 200bhp standard
Ya the GE's are about the 180bhp standard. Good engines.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Man, I know how ya feel. That car for me was a VR6 this was back in 96 when powerful cars where really rare in Ireland.

Makin me feel really old! My spin in the Cossie was back around 88 and at the time it was the 4WD version and there was really nothing out there to match it. A car genuinely capable of 150mph. God my heart still races every time I remember it
Damien_C

Quote:
Makin me feel really old! My spin in the Cossie was back around 88 and at the time it was the 4WD version and there was really nothing out there to match it. A car genuinely capable of 150mph. God my heart still races every time I remember it
There's a mint one up by me Would love to have it and modd the **** outta the YB engine in it

(Post Link) post #15 of 69 Old 11-10-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

When I was working in Norway, a buddy there has a sierra cosworth, it cost him the equivalent of just over €11k to insure the car. It was ridiculous bhp though, over 500 on the dyno. Never saw it in the flesh though.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

Caterham 7 - Absolutely superb, back to basic car - amazing chassis/driving experience (feels like you are doing 100 at 40mph with the roof and vinyl doors off )
Ferrari 360 - Incredibly competent car with plenty of italian design and fantastically aural engines
MX5 - Forget the hairdresser comments, for less than 2k, very little to challenge this small engined, light weight, RWD toy.
Lotus Elise - Similar concept to the Caterham with a tad more practicality (one of my favourite cars to drive), incredibly pointy and accurate.
TVR Chimaera - An absolute devil, tries to kill you at every corner, back end will drift out in a straight line if you floor it, quick steering and pointy but obviously feels like a larger car than an Elise or Caterham.
Aston DB4 - Surprisingly good for age of car, but more about the experience!
Alfa 156/GT - I still enjoy this car over any BMW 3 series, very accurate steering, passive rear wheel steer can lead to some tail happy times (with the right power delivery),only real fault for me - uncomposed over potholes...overallit just has a feeling of absolute honesty and fun.

Not a Porsche fan, driven 2-3 various models and felt they were all wet and lacking accuracy.

Current Italian Cars:-
2004 Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS
Previous Italian Cars :-
2003 Maserati 4200 Cambiocorsa
2006 Alfa Brera 2.2 SV JTS
1999 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD
2005 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS Veloce
2004 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTD
2001 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 Lusso
2002 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

Alfa 33 I know, I know, I know.......

I just think they are a laugh!
Oggy_GTA

When I read the title to this thread, I immediately thought of my 156 GTA - I honestly think, with the Q2 diff, it is a great car to drive. Agree with the comment about the handling when it hits the rough stuff.

Have driven a 360 spider, which was great, but when you think you could buy 10 younger GTAs for the price of a 360 ... ... just makes you realise where to get most bang for your buck!

Irish - drive one ASAP, you'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier

Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_156 View Post
When I was working in Norway, a buddy there has a sierra cosworth, it cost him the equivalent of just over €11k to insure the car. It was ridiculous bhp though, over 500 on the dyno. Never saw it in the flesh though.
Norwegians are mad Make some serious gear for cars too like the Swedish.

AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Well I was passenger in a Porsche 911 doing 167mph on the Naas Road *naughty naughty* (well it was about 3am). But haven't driven anything exotic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bealzbob View Post
But haven't driven anything exotic
I have driven plenty of exotic cars

All of them Alfas
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Honda S2000/ 156

I've driven the ferrari 355 and 550 and thought they were pants. Looking forward to driving the F430 very soon
AO Member

Alfa 75 v6 and alfasud,both are brilliant to drive in their own way.

I drove a Ferrari 328 and a Ferrari 360 a few years ago round a track in one of those "Ferrari experience" days out.

The 360 was fast but felt safe,but the instructor guy was saying the back end can be a bit light but it didn't stop me giving it full throttle!

The 328 on the other hand was great fun but cramped ,with my head tilted forward to try and see through the screen,great fun though.
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiegtv View Post
Alfa 75 v6 and alfasud,both are brilliant to drive in their own way.

I drove a Ferrari 328 and a Ferrari 360 a few years ago round a track in one of those "Ferrari experience" days out.

The 360 was fast but felt safe,but the instructor guy was saying the back end can be a bit light but it didn't stop me giving it full throttle!

The 328 on the other hand was great fun but cramped ,with my head tilted forward to try and see through the screen,great fun though.
Yeah, I went on the same sort of event. The 328 was not built for 6 footers wearing a lid! Didn't enjoy it as much as the 360.

AO Member

County: Kildare

Did the rally day in RSI in monahan at the weekend got to drive (rally spec) a MKII rs2000 a cooper S and the amazing Subaru sti c spec about 330bhp which blew me away - drove my friends c-spec before but not with as much vigor. Also rented a brera for a week when I was working in the uk great fun drove from Watford to Peterborough a top speed I love those empty 4 lane motorways. Also one that was great was a moded civic SIR all bells and whistles 220bhp + great fun bad image. legacy b4 a friends again quick but tiptronic was a bit frustrating. Also friends Nissan Sylvia then a 400bhp 180sx then a few jeeps a few japs and a few craps. I had a Mazda 323 for a year before it was destroyed by an old couple in an estate impreza crossing the road with not an eye open between them. The whole front hanging off it.. It still drove... although very slowly. Great car not for driving or comfort but unkillable I put over 40k miles on it in a year and not one thing failed or ever let me down and I used to drive that flat out no surrender from Dublin to cork about once a week and back often hitting 104 on the down hills. Used to bring it trough fields and building sites. Pug 106 206 and 306 (company cars) + saxo 1.5 diesel good for what it was(French). Almera 2.2 TD 04 and 05 good van a bit boatish with the extra weight ridiculously expensive to fix also a 1.5. and my latest is a 2l 156 which i got for €1500 with 60k on the clock. good buy good fun happy with my purchase.a few things wrong but with the help of AO i fixed them myself

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
cars , drive

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page