Pushing my Luck? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

02 147 1,6 TS

Pushing my Luck?

When i was in the UK I bought me Rover 75. People said, that I must be mad. They are rubbish, they brake down a lot, they are unreliable... blah blah blah.
Indeed, the 75 was probably the best car I've ever driven and the 2.5V6 is a dream.
But over here, with CO2 based car tax, they disown you. So she has to go and I bought me a 2002 147 1.6 5 door.She comes in a dark blue with a purple hue and she's got 40000 miles.
She'll get a new cam belt, new brake disks and an aircon re-gas and she'll cost me less than €6.500.
I assume, that this is a reasonable price...

Anyway, this unmentionable J.C. from Top Gear sez, that you can't call yourself a real petrolhead unless you've owned an Alfa.
After owning (in alphabetical order) Audi, BMW, Nissan, Mercedes, Opel, Rover and Volkswagen, I might be a real petrolhead now. Not that I care much about what J.C. sez...

Ugly German
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Antrim
Re: Pushing my Luck?

m,n,o

interesting history tho
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 28-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

02 147 1,6 TS

Yeah, now that I re-read it ...
But I was so excited, buying that car, that my alphabet got medxi ;-) up.
Anyway... keep my fingers crossed that the car is better than the reputation of the brand in general. I'm - as per my nick - a German and over there Alfas are considered to be bella maccina that break down more often than Amy Winehouse is drunk and corrode quicker than a polish welder can weld in new sheets.
Then again, they used to say that about the Rover as well...
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Never had an issue with rust or breaking down. Alfa's just need a bit more care that other "normal" cars just check the oil every 2 weeks or so depending on the usage. Top up with the correct oil and away you go. One thing i would do is get the timing belts done and while your at it get the variator as well. May cost a bit of money but its alot better than the alternative. At 40000 miles they require changing unless the previous owner has had them changed recently/ Good luck with the 147.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
luck , pushing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page