Alfa 147 - Body Computer problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 07-08-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Alfa 147 - Body Computer problem

My partners 147 on board computer started acting up recently with a Right Side Light Failure coming on even though the light worked fine. This was followed by Left Side Right Failure and Brake Light Failure messages and they too were both working fine.

One evening last week upon arriving home and with the 147 in the driveway I noticed that the left rear parking light was on as well as the right front dipped headlight turning on and off intermettently even though the car was sitting in the driveway with everything turned off.This eventually led to the battery being drained as expected.

I booked it into my local Alfa dealer and dropped the car in today. According to the dealer the Body Computer needs replacing and will cost 675 euros (530 Sterling) to replace including labour . Has anyone experienced similar problems and if so was this the only solution to the problem? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Re: Alfa 147 - Body Computer problem

Never heard of the problem. Did you do a search on this site about it?
dbt
AO Member

Member car:

156 Ti 2.4 JTDM

I had a body computer replaced on my old 147 2.0. The cost was around £200 including labour. It should take no more than half an hour to swap it out as it is pretty easy to get at. £530 sounds like someone is having a Turkish at your expense. You will need to supply the body computer code; it's printed on a piece of plastic about the size of a credit card, it should have been provided with the car. This allows the BC to be coded to your car. Without it, budget for another tenner for the supplier to find it on the AR factory computer system.

The BC on these cars is notoriously fussy. Plenty of examples of owners connecting HID kits and damaging the BC, that's what did for mine, anyway.
Damien_C

Man youe being taken for a ride there unfortunetly. Do not get it done there. What dealer is this??

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Man youe being taken for a ride there unfortunetly. Do not get it done there. What dealer is this??
name n shame!
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancido64 View Post
name n shame!
Not really in that matter, just as a matter of interest. Where not going to turn this into a MNC batter the dealer kinda thing.

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Not really in that matter, just as a matter of interest. Where not going to turn this into a MNC batter the dealer kinda thing.
not saynign to batter dealer, but i;d lik to know who to stair clear of
Damien_C

Completely agree bud But have to be careful too for the sites sake aswell as our own. As dealers get parts for roughly 50-70% less than what you pay for them that's there insane mark up. And labour rates for fully qualied mechanics aint cheap either unfortunetly

(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 08-08-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Thanks for feedback guys..I've rang around a couple of Alfa Dealerships here in Ireland and they're all giving more or less the same quote. So it looks like a serious case of rip-off republic. If this job can be done for 200 sterling in the UK and I'm getting quoted 675 euros(530 sterling) here in Ireland theres something seriously wrong. Any of my fellow Irish forum members ever imported parts from the UK? Although this is probably something that I will need to do through and alfa dealership in Ireland since it is dependent on the chassis number of the car and the body computer code that came with the car.
AO Member

Ring Eb Spares here in Wiltshire, they should be able to give you an idea of how much the part should cost, and it'll be an original Alfa part, and they'll ship it to you.
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

This happened to me when the body computer somehow got wet.

Cost to repair, if I recall, was somewhere in the region of £600 and two weeks off the road whilst a new BC came from Italy

My indie did try and dry out the old body computer before replacing it, however, to minimise cost. If people around here are getting them for £200, then I was ripped off, too.....
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 10-08-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Thanks alimac. I'm going to give Eb Spares a buzz tomorrow and see what price they quote for the BC. If I was to import it from the UK the only problem is that my local dealer won't stand by it if any issues arise after replacement. Thats the chance I take suppose.
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 11-08-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Rang Eb Spares today and unfortunately its not something that they supply and needs to be ordered through Alfa Romeo. So I had to ring my local dealer and get them to order it for me. I had a feeling that would be the case. Thanks for help anyway guys. I'll just have to move across the water. Although not to Berkshire by the sounds of it. £600 jonwood? Thats more than what its costing me here!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
147 , alfa , body , computer , problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page