Power in 136bhp 2.4 JTD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 25-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Power in 136bhp 2.4 JTD

Hi,

Have a 00 2.4JTD 136BHP. Car is standard with no modifications. It had loads of torq once over 2k and starts to slow at 3K rpm but there is very little before that. It will pull away below 2k but its like there is no difference between pressing the peddle 10mm and fully pressing the peddle 50mm. Does anybody know if this is normal. Have checked all pipes which look OK. Also blocked off EGR valve with piece of tin with no difference. Not smokie, flatspotting or anything. Just wondering if the car is running like it should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

Re: Power in 136bhp 2.4 JTD

Yes, its pretty normal.
It has very severe turbo lag off boost.

I had a loan of one for a few months, once on boost it was effective enough and not a problem to make progress on the open road.
In traffic I found it a bit of a pain though, until you knew *exactly* where the lag resided (about 1rpm below 1800 rpm I think!) - a particular pain when in second gear just in the lag zone and you want to do a quick burst into a faster lane, 1st gear is also very short so you have to learn to drive around the lack of flexability.

A remap would improve things I'm sure.

I'm not a doctor - but I really do recommend braking later
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 25-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for your help. My car has a lag up to 2000rpm which is a pain because most of my driving is on country roads. Driving in 5th with the revs down about 1500rpm. Might go and get a new Air flow sensor it can only help. With regards to a remap does anybody know of a place here in Ireland. I have seen the plug in systoms on ebay. Has anybody used one and how well did it work?
AO Member

County: Glasgow

Angel Tuning do visit over to Ireland every so often, it's worth dropping them a line.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4JTD

I had a 00 136bhp 2.4 a few years back, had exactly the same problem, a remap from Celtic Tuning made a massive improvement. where abouts are you based?
AO Member

County: Tyrone
Garage

The 136 must be very different to the '03 150bhp. My car starts developing lots of torque from 1300-1400rpm and keeps on building so that there is no noticable boost at 2000rpm.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 30-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Based around the Limerick area. Just noticed www.TuneMyEcu.com Performance ECU remaps & chip tuning in Limerick,Ireland who are also in the Limerick area. A bit slow to do a remap as I use the car for work. About 28K miles PA and I would be afraid of the damage I could do. Anybody heard of tunemyecu. Must also check out Celtic tuning. Met a fellow last week who had the same car and he didnt notice any boost at 2000rpm. Reconed his car pulled from much lower.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 18-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just fitted new MFU to my car today. Much better low down power. even starts to go from 1800 rpm instead of 2000rpm. It was well worth the 120euro I paid including post and Vat from ALTERNATIVE AUTOS. Next job now is the THERMOSTAT. Deffinatly a lot of help and information on this site. Thanks to all.
AO Silver Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

There's an Angel Rep based in Tyrone as far as I know.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
136bhp , jtd , power

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page