Recommend me a place to get some dings repaired - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

4Likes
  • 1 Post By H3llR4iser
  • 1 Post By cue2
  • 2 Post By samsemtex

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 14-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

Recommend me a place to get some dings repaired

Hey folks,

In this infinite sea of diesel desperation and blandness that is the Irish second hand cars market, it's more than likely I'm going to keep the 159 for at least another year, quite possibly longer.

One condition is however that I can get a few dings and the lacquer peel on the bonnet fixed as I can't stand the sight of those. What I'm gonna need is a trusted place to do this repair / respray work here in Dublin; Someone who won't refuse to even give me a quote because "it's gonna cost more than the car", and who won't do a sh1tty rushed job because it's an Alfa and not an Audi/BMW/Mercedes (it happens - like, forgetting to bleed the damn cooling system after a radiator replacement, not even a bloody trainee...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Limerick

Member car:

'98 156 V6

You'd be better off asking a mechanic/person you trust than getting opinions on the internet I think. I took a highly recommended Alfa mechanic recommendation from here and I can categorically state he was the most incompetent and dishonest mechanic I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

You need the recommendation of someone who has good experience and actually knows what they are talking about.

It's so hard to get good people through recommendations though so I feel your pain.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 15-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

I know what you mean - last September, as I said above, I found my radiator was leaking...days before I had the NCT scheduled; The place I usually go to was closed for holidays, so I looked online and found a garage next to where I live that had nearly hundred glowing 5 stars reviews on Google.

Now, I wouldn't normally just go to somebody I found around, but it was just a radiator replacement, not an engine build, so I booked the car in. I went there, "customer friendly" operation which already gave me the wrong vibrations (I want to talk to an engineer/mechanic, not an useless sales rep), they did the job, the price was actually very competitive.

Yet...the coolant level kept dropping for the first couple of days; as I kept topping it up and I could find no leak anywhere, it was clear what was going on - indeed, after the 4th fill up it stopped dropping and hasn't since. They, somehow, forgot to do something as basic and essential as bleeding the damn system. They just took the old rad out, put the new one in, filled the reservoir, job done. Had I trusted them, or been a completely clueless owner, I'd be dealing with a dead engine now. And yet people keep posting glowing 5 star reviews - "great price", "hassle free experience"...

Similarly, I've asked for quotes around a couple of bodywork shops - they visibly sneer when they see the car, and then go "it's a 06, you'd better off getting something else, it'd cost more than the car is worth". I want a quote - I don't care if it's 1000 or 2000 Euro, you won't replace the car with that amount of money, especially in the horror that the Irish market.

So yeah, long story short, I was looking for somebody here who had work done to an older Alfa and got along well
samsemtex likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
He may be local.
H3llR4iser likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

'98 156 V6

I'm going into Mallow myself today to get a price for getting the front of the 156 resprayed along with fitting a Zender front spoiler. Must get the rear bumper resprayed also. I will let you know if I get sneered at for bringing a 21 year old Alfa in for paint.
AO Member

Member car:

'98 156 V6

I got a quote yesterday for €1300 to paint the front end, roof and rear bumper as well as fitting the spoilers. He certainly didn't scoff at me wanting to get it looking right and never gave me the ol "its hardly worth it" line. I have booked it in for the end of the month. Then I just have to get the wheels painted in gun metal grey and repaint the calipers.

Might be ready for a summer road trip through France then I think.
David P and Mufasa like this.
AO Member

County: Meath (and Dublin)

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

I have used these guys a few times for both modern and old stuff.

Contact Us at carcraft.ie for the best Auto Repairs

Found them reasonably priced and very high quality.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
dings , place , recommend , repaired

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page