Thoughts on the new (diesel) Giulia - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Mufasa
  • 1 Post By David P
  • 1 Post By Kildare Alfa
  • 1 Post By David P
  • 1 Post By ksimpson
  • 1 Post By photoman
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 27-09-18 Thread Starter
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,778
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Thoughts on the new (diesel) Giulia

A client/friend bought one and after lunch I had a drive in it with him.
I didn't hammer it as that would have been rude (and foolhardy considering I'm no Fernando Alonso).
VERY nice. For a diesel I thought it was quite smooth and refined.
Driver seat was very nice and it felt very taut around bends....
It was the 150bhp version
mick164 likes this.
Mufasa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 84,959
Garage
The Giulia deserves to be selling a lot more than it is.
Mufasa likes this.
David P is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
I drove the 150bhp diesel at the Alfa day last year. My abiding memory was the smooth auto gearbox (I've only ever owned manual cars). I also love the interior.

I'm due to change cars next year. If I go for the Giulia, I reckon it'd have to be the 280bhp Veloce. Should be a few of them coming on the UK market at that stage. (Subject to the outcome of Brexit of course!)
Mufasa likes this.
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
fabiocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 108
Myself and my wife have the 120bhp 1.6 jtdm2 and it's a superb engine. Plenty of torque and revs freely. It does get a bit coarse in higher revs but anything under 2500rpm is so quiet it's almost silent in the cabin.
fabiocity is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 01-10-18 Thread Starter
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,778
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildare Alfa View Post
I drove the 150bhp diesel at the Alfa day last year. My abiding memory was the smooth auto gearbox (I've only ever owned manual cars). I also love the interior.

I'm due to change cars next year. If I go for the Giulia, I reckon it'd have to be the 280bhp Veloce. Should be a few of them coming on the UK market at that stage. (Subject to the outcome of Brexit of course!)
Or get the 200BHP version and get someone like these to upgrade it:
https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/servi...e-2#t3-content
Mufasa is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Kildare Alfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 219
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Or get the 200BHP version and get someone like these to upgrade it:
https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/servi...e-2#t3-content
True enough. Still, that's a scary increase in power from the bog standard petrol engine... from 197bhp to 276bhp (stage 1 remap) or all the way to 326bhp (stage 2). Surely you'd need to upgrade things like brakes with that kind of power increase?
Kildare Alfa is offline  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 84,959
Garage
The early 2.0 petrol cars were supposedly identical hardware wise apart from the software map, see here for info https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...and-280cv.html (whats the difference between engine 2.0T 200PS and 280CV?)
Kildare Alfa likes this.

Last edited by David P; 09-10-18 at 21:46.
David P is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
ksimpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 21

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.0l

.
ksimpson is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 19-10-18 Thread Starter
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,778
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksimpson View Post
.
Eh?
Still have the 166?
Mufasa is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
ksimpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 21

Member car:

Alfa 166 2.0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Eh?
Still have the 166?
Sorry, wrote a great mail on my experiences with the Giulietta diesel as a hire car in Italy earlier in the year when I realised that this thread was about the Giulia.

My Dad still has the 166 and it's due an NCT. Has the thermostat to do before the winter sets in. Otherwise it's been running well.
Mufasa likes this.
ksimpson is offline  
Status: 1/60s @ f2.8
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bingley
County: West Yorkshire
Posts: 153
Garage

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

I have a 2.2 180bhp diesel Speciale although I wouldn't regard it as new. There are a lot of discussions about petrol or diesel but the pros and cons seem to balance each other out and I'm a bit long in the tooth to worry about it.

I do like the car - the looks go without comment and of all the cars I have owned the Giulia attracts more looks, glances and double-takes than any other. The red leather interior feels Italian and is comfortable although my wife thinks the seat is a bit too figure hugging. The 8 speed auto box is very smooth, relatively quiet and the torque is excellent when a rapid overtake is needed.

My only real gripe is that the Infotainment is a bit Heath Robinson. I love the split screen but it's a right sphere-ache if you want to change from media to radio and your main screen is in navigation. Just a few observations for the OP to consider or ignore
Mufasa likes this.
photoman is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 22-10-18 Thread Starter
Status: The artist formerly known as Roarsbaby
AO Silver Member
 
Mufasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
County: Dublin
Posts: 5,778
Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman View Post
I have a 2.2 180bhp diesel Speciale although I wouldn't regard it as new. There are a lot of discussions about petrol or diesel but the pros and cons seem to balance each other out and I'm a bit long in the tooth to worry about it.

I do like the car - the looks go without comment and of all the cars I have owned the Giulia attracts more looks, glances and double-takes than any other. The red leather interior feels Italian and is comfortable although my wife thinks the seat is a bit too figure hugging. The 8 speed auto box is very smooth, relatively quiet and the torque is excellent when a rapid overtake is needed.

My only real gripe is that the Infotainment is a bit Heath Robinson. I love the split screen but it's a right sphere-ache if you want to change from media to radio and your main screen is in navigation. Just a few observations for the OP to consider or ignore
Thanks lad. The OP isn't buying anything for the foreseeable future!
Mufasa is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
diesel , giulia , thoughts

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome