Coming Back To Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

5Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 09-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Ford Mundano

Coming Back To Alfa

Having been away from Alfas for ten years due to having a company car, a change in jobs means I get to pick what I drive!

I have my heart set on a 2010/2011 159 Diesel. Going to the UK seems to be the route for best spec/value.

Has anyone any tips on what to look out for, potential problems etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

146 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukav View Post
Having been away from Alfas for ten years due to having a company car, a change in jobs means I get to pick what I drive!

I have my heart set on a 2010/2011 159 Diesel. Going to the UK seems to be the route for best spec/value.

Subframes rust on them so try get photos at least from underneath with the tray off, service history as a lot of the 159s need more regular servicing than recommended, obvious stuff like suspension wear, front wishbones can add up. In my own opinion a well speced 159 is like a totally different car to a normal spec one, the ti interior is way nicer. Post up what you're looking at sure
Mufasa likes this.

County: Cork
Garage
The buyers guide here is worth a read https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ers-guide.html

Good luck with the search, hopefully you'll be an Alfa owner again soon
(Post Link) post #4 of 33 Old 10-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Ford Mundano

Quote:
Originally Posted by peadar View Post
Subframes rust on them so try get photos at least from underneath with the tray off, service history as a lot of the 159s need more regular servicing than recommended, obvious stuff like suspension wear, front wishbones can add up. In my own opinion a well speced 159 is like a totally different car to a normal spec one, the ti interior is way nicer. Post up what you're looking at sure
Thanks Peadar,

It is definitely a TI that I'm after, this one below is the exact colour and spec I'm after.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...del=159&page=1

County: Cork
Garage
The Ti in white looks stunning
I think the later 159 Ti (2010/2011?) has the darker interior centre console & the half leather/alcantara seats rather than the aluminium console & full leather.

Watch out for inner front tyre wear on the 19" wheels, tracking might need adjustment, the original Alfa settings have since been changed but not everyone is aware of that, there a sticky thread in the 159 Tech Lounge with the correct settings.
(Post Link) post #6 of 33 Old 10-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Ford Mundano

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
The Ti in white looks stunning
I think the later 159 Ti (2010/2011?) has the darker interior centre console & the half leather/alcantara seats rather than the aluminium console & full leather.

Watch out for inner front tyre wear on the 19" wheels, tracking might need adjustment, the original Alfa settings have since been changed but not everyone is aware of that, there a sticky thread in the 159 Tech Lounge with the correct settings.
I Know, I started my search looking for a black car. Now all I can see is white. No other colour will work for me now!
Mufasa likes this.
AO Member

County: Meath
Quote:

I'd recommend the 2l diesel over the 1.9. It's a more refined and smoother engine with an extra 20hp. Suits the car better.

Not sure of your budget but this I like.

Donal
(Post Link) post #8 of 33 Old 14-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Ford Mundano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalh View Post
I'd recommend the 2l diesel over the 1.9. It's a more refined and smoother engine with an extra 20hp. Suits the car better.

Not sure of your budget but this I like.

Donal
That's really nice but out of my budget I'm afraid! When I factor in VRT and travel expenses 5-6k sterling is the budget.
AO Member

Garage
Thumbs Up

Quote:
That's really nice but out of my budget I'm afraid! When I factor in VRT and travel expenses 5-6k sterling is the budget.
I went UK in November and picked up my 2011 159 2.0 JTDm TI sportwagon in black and love it. Paid £6,150.00 for her and so far everything is good.

It was a long long search to find the spec i wanted but worth it in the end.

If you any questions just shoot.
(Post Link) post #10 of 33 Old 14-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Ford Mundano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheener287 View Post
I went UK in November and picked up my 2011 159 2.0 JTDm TI sportwagon in black and love it. Paid £6,150.00 for her and so far everything is good.

It was a long long search to find the spec i wanted but worth it in the end.

If you any questions just shoot.
How did you get on when you VRTd it. How accurate was the VRT calculator?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
How did you get on when you VRTd it. How accurate was the VRT calculator?
The online ROS vrt calculator said €2100 for TI spec. When i actually vrt the car on December 19th it was €1930. Its important you select the right spec as a lusso spec same year and mileage was only €1800.
(Post Link) post #12 of 33 Old 14-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Ford Mundano

Quote:
The online ROS vrt calculator said €2100 for TI spec. When i actually vrt the car on December 19th it was €1930. Its important you select the right spec as a lusso spec same year and mileage was only €1800.
I'm quite keen on the white 2009 TI I linked to above. When I run its details through the calculator it comes out at €845. Only problem with is is its a 1.9
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
I'm quite keen on the white 2009 TI I linked to above. When I run its details through the calculator it comes out at €845. Only problem with is is its a 1.9
I wanted Sportwagon in black or red, 2011, TI and 2.0 jtdm engine and believe me its alot harder than you would think to get the right car.

I also was advised to go for the 2.0l as it has the better gearbox and obviously more BHP.

I do like the white one in the link.
(Post Link) post #14 of 33 Old 14-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Ford Mundano

Just found this one up the north,

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=al40jy&page=2

Takes flights/ferry out of the equation.
Vrt calculator comes up as €1600

Thoughts?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:

Thoughts?
Lovely car same spec as mine in saloon version, it is a TI not lusso as the ad says. Have you selected TI spec when calculating VRT?
(Post Link) post #16 of 33 Old 14-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Ford Mundano

Quote:
Lovely car same spec as mine in saloon version, it is a TI not lusso as the ad says. Have you selected TI spec when calculating VRT?
Yep selected Ti on the vrt calculator. Does £5000 not seem a bit cheap for a 2011?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Yep selected Ti on the vrt calculator. Does £5000 not seem a bit cheap for a 2011?
Its also late 2011 with the leather/ alcantara seats (mine full leather). From my searches it does seem a bit cheap compared sportwagon i would of been looking at, not sure if they are more expensive than the saloon.

The 159's across the water do seem to hold there value better than here north or south.
AO Member

Garage
Theres some very helpful info on thread below re 2.0jtdm.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...jtdm-help.html
AO Member

Garage
Quote:

Thoughts?
I imported my 159ti 2.0JTDm from the UK a couple of years ago. That does seem on the low side for a ti.

Here's a few things to keep in mind:
- Apparently some late model UK 159s were registered as Lussos when they were in fact ti spec. You'll find info on the UK forum. I've definitely seen a few examples of this while I was on the lookout for mine. If that's the case with yours, then maybe the seller doesn't realise it's a ti (hence lower price). If the UK log book says Lusso, then Irish Revenue will VRT it as a Lusso (likely saving you a few euros)
- The car in the ad you showed has twin exhausts. The 2.0JTDm only has a single exhaust, so something's not right there. It could be an after-market modification, but I would definitely look into it. Maybe a previous owner did modify it (it looks like they replaced the standard Alfa badge on the bonnet with a black & silver one)
- The ad mentions 17" wheels, but the ti wheels should be 19" (I think it was possible to special order 18")

Best of luck whatever you decide!

2010 159 ti Sportwagon 2.0 JTDm

Previous:
2008 159 ti Saloon 1.9 JTDm
2002 166 Sportivo 2.0 TS
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildare Alfa View Post
I imported my 159ti 2.0JTDm from the UK a couple of years ago. That does seem on the low side for a ti.

- Apparently some late model UK 159s were registered as Lussos when they were in fact ti spec. You'll find info on the UK forum. I've definitely seen a few examples of this while I was on the lookout for mine. If that's the case with yours, then maybe the seller doesn't realise it's a ti (hence lower price). If the UK log book says Lusso, then Irish Revenue will VRT it as a Lusso (likely saving you a few euros)
- The car in the ad you showed has twin exhausts. The 2.0JTDm only has a single exhaust, so something's not right there. It could be an after-market modification, but I would definitely look into it. Maybe a previous owner did modify it (it looks like they replaced the standard Alfa badge on the bonnet with a black & silver one)
- The ad mentions 17" wheels, but the ti wheels should be 19" (I think it was possible to special order 18")

My v5 document said lusso but the VRT inspector said it was in fact TI and charged me for same.
AO Member

Garage
It would of saved me €300 had he not.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

I brought over my 2009 159 2.4 jTDM (210) TI 3/4 years ago, and I wouldn't' do it any other way. The best spec 159 at the time here was €15k on carzone, and wasn't TI.
I went to LoveAlfa in Birmingham, and found them great; they held the car for me and had a selection of similar ones I could buy (I test drove the TI looking for a reason not to buy it). Guy told me that the Sportwagon boot opening is actually smaller than the saloon, so check this side by side, I did a quick visual inspection, and I'd say he was right.
There were some cracking Spiders and Breras that nearly stole me away, but I kept it sensible in the end.

This one is a 2.0 TI http://www.lovealfa.co.uk/vehicle/al...saloon-122012/

Buy a cheap return flight, no bags, mine was about €45. You need to be prepared to walk away, not having a return flight makes that hard!
Book the ferry only after you've paid for the car, I did it online (Lovealfa lent me a computer).
I left the time very tight, and ended up pelting through Wales at.. 70mph, honest your honour. Leave more time than I did.
In my case, my AIB debit card couldn't be used to buy the car, as the £6495 price tag was too high for my card limit, check this before you go! In the end, I bought it with my credit card, after transferring money into it from current account.
VRT was €2,500, reg plates around €20. First service, including nearly due timing belt job, at TI Autos, was €2,200. Still saved a packet over the Irish car.

If doing it again, I'd probably make the trip over to Veloces in London, they have a massive selection, if the one you go over for doesn't do it for you, there are 30 more that might.
Edit: Had a quick look there, Veloces seem to have loads of Guilettas at the mo, but few 159s. LoveAlfa have quite a few 159s of both flavours.

Last edited by casesensitive; 16-01-18 at 09:07.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
My v5 document said lusso but the VRT inspector said it was in fact TI and charged me for same.
Wow - now there's an inspector who takes his job very seriously!
stukav likes this.
(Post Link) post #24 of 33 Old 16-01-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Ford Mundano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildare Alfa View Post

I had noticed the badge and thought it was just faded. I had not noticed the twin exhaust, that would make me worry about what other "modifications" have been made.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Quote:
I had noticed the badge and thought it was just faded. I had not noticed the twin exhaust, that would make me worry about what other "modifications" have been made.
I woudn't lose much sleep over this, I replaced all of my Alfa and TI badges last year, sun faded them all. Got legit parts, not cheap either.
A bit off-topic, but while I LOVE virtually everything about the QV, I think the cloverleaf logo really spoils the look, can you option debadging it?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , back , coming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page