Which Alfa mechanic - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Which Alfa mechanic

Hey guys, I have an Alfa 159ti JTS with an issue that's been sitting on my drive for over a year and I now need to tackle it head on.

It's a strange issue that I won't get too far into but it might just be the stretched timing chain issue. (Though I believe it's not throwing those faults.)

My question is who do I have this towed to? It's been with the guys at ti autos before but the problem is intermittent and what they did didn't solve it.

I'm based in Wicklow so Paschal Kennedy in Dun Laoghaire is the closest, anyone any experience of them, or should I stump up more and have it towed back to Ti?

Or on the offchance if there's anyone based near Wicklow town even better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

The stretched timing chain issue will more than likely throw a specific P code. I can't remember which one. Did you hook your car up to Multiecuscan to ascertain which codes are being thrown? Once you have codes then a diagnosis and plan of action might become clear.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
The stretched timing chain issue will more than likely throw a specific P code. I can't remember which one. Did you hook your car up to Multiecuscan to ascertain which codes are being thrown? Once you have codes then a diagnosis and plan of action might become clear.
It never actually threw any codes other than an air mass meter I believe. They symptoms are...

A complete drop in power with the warnings...
'VDC unavailable'
'Have engine checked'
'Hillholder unavailable'
Along with the fuel guage dropping and flashing

Have you checked your battery? Alfa's can go a bit funny throwing warnings like this. I had it on a 147 and also on a cousins Guiletta. Might be worth checking with your local motor factors.

If you are ever in Dublin I would happily connect your car to MultiECUscan if you want.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Battery sounds like a good call. Your going to need one anyway as you have had it sitting so long. Throw a new one in and see how that works. Just because your battery starts the car ok does not mean it is providing sufficient power to all the various systems required. And make sure the battery you fit is the correct type for your car, as you could find exactly the same problem if the wrong spec battery is fitted. Fingers crossed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
alfa , mechanic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page