Opinions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

2Likes
  • 1 Post By David P
  • 1 Post By Kildare Alfa

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 16-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Meath

Member car:

Opinions

Thinking of getting this, opinions, pitfalls, flight involved and ferry back. Where and who to check it out.
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 TB MultiAir Veloce 5dr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
That's a good looking Giulietta in Veloce spec, FYI those are 18" alloys not 17" as mentioned in the advert.

Some don't get on with the seats in the 1st generation Giulietta (they were redesigned in for the MY14 facelift) so make sure you take a decent test drive to see if it's an issue which effects you.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 17-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Cheers David, seems someone put a deposit on it yesterday so it may be gone, Dealer was quick to email me back. If it re-appears I'll go over and check it out.

County: Cork
Garage
Pity, another thing I forgot to mention was the tailgate wiring issue, the wires can break going from the roof the the tailgate. This can cause multiple issues including wiper, lights etc, check all electrical functions.
147Rep likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 147Rep View Post
Thinking of getting this, opinions, pitfalls, flight involved and ferry back. Where and who to check it out.
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 TB MultiAir Veloce 5dr
As a general comment on importing from UK... there are great deals to be had, but you really need to do your research upfront. I imported a 159 ti SW two years ago. No regrets & I'm very happy with my purchase.

They don't come up for sale very often, so once I identified the car I was after, I called the owner & paid a holding deposit by bank transfer "Subject to inspection". Then I organised the AA (UK) to do a full inspection on the car. I got a very detailed report back which told me that car was solid & had no major issues. I also did a HPI check to ensure no outstanding finance.

Granted, I was buying from a private seller, so this may be overkill if you’re buying from a dealer. Still, I would be wary of travelling all the way to the UK to see just one car if I hadn’t already had somebody independent check it out for me first. If I were in your shoes, I'd plan to see 4 or 5 cars while I travel to the UK (ideally located very close to each other). There are a fair few Giuliettas for sale, so you have a good selection to chose from. At least that way, if one turns out not to be the right car, you still have other options.
Mufasa likes this.

2010 159 ti Sportwagon 2.0 JTDm

Previous:
2008 159 ti Saloon 1.9 JTDm
2002 166 Sportivo 2.0 TS
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 18-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Thanks Kildare Alfa, that is sound advice on having a few cars to view. That outfit only had the 1 car in their location. Also, I presume you only traveled over once after the inspection report was available?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 147Rep View Post
Thanks Kildare Alfa, that is sound advice on having a few cars to view. That outfit only had the 1 car in their location. Also, I presume you only traveled over once after the inspection report was available?
That's right... in my case, I was months waiting for the right car / spec to come up for sale, so when it did, I had to be ready to act quickly.

The ad went up on a Monday. Based on the registration number (displayed on the photos in the ad), I did the HPI check to make sure the car had no finance / crash history. That came back clean, so I called the seller & paid the deposit by wire transfer that day. Then I arranged the AA inspection for the following day. They did the inspection on the Tues. The engineer gave me a verbal report by phone Tues evening & emailed me the detailed document on Wed am. I then booked the flight / ferry, organised the remaining funds to transfer on the Fri morning (when I landed in the UK).

It took about an hour for me to take a quick test drive & give the car a final check before we did the paperwork. The whole thing took 5 days from start to finish.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 19-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Cheers Kildare Alfa, very useful.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
opinions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page