Check engine light Giulietta MY2016 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-06-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Westmeath
Check engine light Giulietta MY2016

While driving through town on my way to work this morning, the "check engine" light came on, about four minutes from leaving home. She has done just under 13,000km, and I've not had any significant issues since purchase.

I rang the dealership in Dublin and was advised to ring "Emergency Warranty" (1800253200) because I live in Westmeath and it may be too far to drive the car down, to have someone come out and possibly tow the car to them for checks.

I rang the number, person who answered said it was not them and transferred my call to the appropriate department. Someone from Roadside Assistance answered the call, told me that someone will be sent to look at the car, and possibly tow it. But I would be charged for the tow and any repairs done. I asked if that would not be covered by warranty, and was told there was no way to check what warranty I have and I should discuss with the dealership.

I am yet to ring the dealership, but I would like to know if this is standard practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: -
It could be any number of things. If you are near Dublin I would be happy to run MultiECUscan to see what errors have been recorded.

Also have a look on the technical forum for any common issues with your model/engine.

Hope this helps,

John.

County: Cork
Garage
Sorry I can't help with your question as I never needed to use the rescue service provided while my Alfas were in warranty, hopefully the dealer got you sorted out though.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 17-06-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Westmeath
Updates: I rang the dealership to clarify the warranty issue and was advised to contact my insurance about covering the cost of the tow. Insurance company declined (too far, they only cover emergency tow to nearest garage). In the meantime, the AR RA truck arrived. The man sat in the car, told me the car could still be driven, but would need to be looked at. I explained that I needed to clarify who would cover the cost of the tow to Dublin. He suggested that the car be brought to his garage in town, to check the codes, and I could drive down. I rang the dealership again to ask if taking it to a local garage wouldn't void the warranty, spoke to a different person (first person on lunch break), who sternly told me repeatedly that the car is covered under warranty for a tow to the nearest AR authorised dealer, and advised me to get back on the phone with RA and ask them to send someone to assess the car and advise if it could be driven to Dublin. I did that, was told that yes, covered under warranty up to 50km, but since the distance in my case wasn't that much over the max, an exception could be made.

A courtesy car was also arranged for me via Enterprise rent-a-car; an Opel Insignia.

By 5pm, I had the courtesy car and mine was collected (felt so sad to see her go) ?

I lost an entire day of work trying to sort this out, seemingly to the delight of a colleague from work who mocked me for not buying a popular car (I'd consulted with him prior to buying). Told me how when his brand new BMW had a similar issue after three months, he received a replacement car. Even showed me a recent letter from BMW that was them checking his level of satisfaction, asking if he had any issues with the car based on his "individual driving experience", reminding him the car would be due for servicing soon, etc. I'm sure others who saw what was happening would have thought the same about my choice of car. Oh well, I still have no regrets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170616-114550_1497698506514.jpg (29.6 KB, 11 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
check , engine , giulietta , light , my2016

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page