Help - 156 Strange Noise - Post Flat Battery? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

Idea Help - 156 Strange Noise - Post Flat Battery?

Hia Guys,

Posted this with no luck on main tech help forum of the forums, wonder if anyone can help.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Have posted here several times before, usually when I have problems lol. I seem to be a rarity in this part of S Ireland, someone who drives and Alfa and loves it Car has full SH and was in fact serviced about 3 weeks ago. Cambelt was last replaced at 69K and car is now at 94K

Ok, I have a 156TS 1.8. Yesterday, it did not start (v cold and flat battery - a first in 5 years) Today its started to make a kind of whining noise, its when the engine is running and seems not to be movement related. Its most noticeable in 1st and 2nd and cannot hear it at higher speeds.

My first thought was it sounds kind of like the power steering on full lock, but noise goes up and down on normal lock. Anyone have any ideas? Any way of testing the various things it could be. I am VERY un-mechanical working in the games industry for a living.

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers - Shaun
Have a feeling that as this happened right after the totally flat battery if they are related?

Also, anyone here know of a good dealer, garage, service dept here in ROI? I live in County Roscommon. Since moving from UK have been using Paddy O Brien in Claremorris (Fiat dealer, Alfa service center)

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks - Shaun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Help - 156 Strange Noise - Post Flat Battery?

Serpentine/Aux belt idler, and so on? Not sure, really.:
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

now i know on the V6 the prop on the water pump is dodgy and not so on the TS. Cud it be water pump on it's way out. Friends punto had that whining noise but not at higher gears or revs, more so at idle and <20km/hr it could be heard.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

Hmmm Re: Help - 156 Strange Noise - Post Flat Battery?

Will check which side, I know its hard to tell without hearing it. To me it sounds like a PAS on full lock. Mine is 1.8TS so am assuming WP should be ok...

Hmm, wish I was more of a hand on useful mechanic! I know computers, but cars .....

It does go away at higher gears or maybe just hard to hear? Trouble is no close Afla dealers, closest to me is Sligo or Galway.
AO Member

County: Cork

TBH mate, I'd stop using alfa dealers when the warranty runs out, and i's use an independant after that.

My garage is really super, i'd give you local a try, in any case its always good to have a handy local garage for those days your alfa acts like an alfa

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
156 , battery , flat , noise , post , strange

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page