GPS / HU Fitting ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

3Likes
  • 1 Post By judeobscure
  • 1 Post By judeobscure
  • 1 Post By judeobscure

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 05-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Westmeath

Member car:

GPS / HU Fitting ?

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good fitter for a GPS/HU?

I am getting another 159 2.2 JTS as my last 159 was just written off. [Girl came around road on wrong side of road, sideways!] totaled my car. Want a GPS/BT etc fitted but am pretty loath to do it, as it seems to be a PITA. I have fitted std units 1 Din, but not the big units. I am not very mechanical, I can change oil, bulbs, plugs etc, but the changing of HU looks like it can be painful.

Am looking at this one:
Android Radio DVD GPS Satnav Stereo For Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon Brera Spider | eBay

But if anyone knows anything better for the price?

Cheers - J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (54.0 KB, 4 views)
pendragonfalls likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Jaysus that is so pricy, not worth that much money. I have one of these android units in my brera with kitkat 4.4.4. It does the job but I would like it to have at least android marshmallow 6.0 on it for extra customisation. You can buy either brand, they're all the same unit anyway. Xtrons, Eonon (which I have), Joying etc. You need to buy the adaptor from connects2 to be able to use the steering buttons, then after that it's pretty much plug and play and routing wires and the microphone for the bluetooth.

AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
If you can wait for a Pioneer Avic f50 / 60 / 70 or 80 to come on eBay you won't look at another unit. Top navigation system and all the features you could need.
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 06-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17esh View Post
If you can wait for a Pioneer Avic f50 / 60 / 70 or 80 to come on eBay you won't look at another unit. Top navigation system and all the features you could need.
Hi A17,

Time is not an issue, I can wait Are there any other decent brands that will fit and work?

I saw this on incartek.
https://incartec.co.uk/Pages/Product.aspx?P=2537

Also, I have read the fitting instructions/guides and there seems a lot of removing of dash, vents, etc. Not sure I wld be up for that. So no one knows any fitters? I love the 159's. Think that they are/were the start of an Alfa Renaissance! Have had Alfas and Lancias for 20+ years, starting with a lancia Delta HF way back

Attached, my 159 Post accident! man was such a beautiful car.

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170321_102832.jpg (265.4 KB, 16 views)
(Post Link) post #5 of 22 Old 06-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

156SW,166x3,Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeobscure View Post
Hi A17,

Time is not an issue, I can wait Are there any other decent brands that will fit and work?

I saw this on incartek.
https://incartec.co.uk/Pages/Product.aspx?P=2537

Also, I have read the fitting instructions/guides and there seems a lot of removing of dash, vents, etc. Not sure I wld be up for that. So no one knows any fitters? I love the 159's. Think that they are/were the start of an Alfa Renaissance! Have had Alfas and Lancias for 20+ years, starting with a lancia Delta HF way back

Attached, my 159 Post accident! man was such a beautiful car.

J
Goodness that's a mess.
Thank God you got out okay.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Goodness that's a mess.
Thank God you got out okay.
Actually, knowing that the 159 is a bit of a tank when it comes to impacts...if it is in that state, maybe the more pressing question is what was of the girl in the other car?
(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 06-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Hi,

The girl in the other car broke 4 bones in her back. She was in a hatchback. [could not tell what!] 05 reg. If she had spun the other way and the drivers side had been the one to hit me she would not have made it I think. The fact that the passenger side took the impact saved her. But only 1 of her cars airbags went off and then on the passenger side.

I think more than the fact its heavy, its the airbags that really ensure you don't get so badly injured. I have driven for 35 years and had Alfas for 20+ years and have had 2 accidents. 1 in the 156 and this one. The 156 again I walked away and it was a 70 mph impact.

156 Crashed. Actually looking at them, they look very similar post crash .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 156-Crash.jpg (107.5 KB, 8 views)
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

Figured she wouldn't be unscathed, unfortunately. Great you were OK, and wish her well - yep, she has totaled a 159, but still...

More than the mass of the 159, I was thinking about the body rigidity - the crumple zones work well, but so does the survival cell of the car; When hitting another vehicle, all that energy ends "bouncing back" at it. There was another poster here who had a 90 degrees crash against a Peugeot (I believe it was a 306 or 309) and sent it pirouetting off the road; Plus the famous James Bond scene where they throw a 159 off a cliff and the chassis makes it to the bottom basically intact.
(Post Link) post #10 of 22 Old 08-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Hi Guys,

Yep, was lucky in both the 156 and 159! They do have a great survival cell in them! One of the MANY things people don't know about Alfas

A question. If I buy this:
https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/pro...ctpage-nosto-2

What will I need to go with it and how hard will it be to fit? I am semi skilled at anything to do with cars lol

Cheers - J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avicf80dab.jpg (31.7 KB, 4 views)
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Talk to Stephen Gillespie. He fits all sorts, and he's brilliant. Done all my installs since forever. His work is pristine.

Supplier and installer of Navigation systems, Ipod Car Chargers, USB, CD, MP3 Car stereo systems. Evolution Sounds

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...ck%20gillespie
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Why would you pay that kind of money I don't know.. The android unit that I have in my Brera does everything that Pioneer does, and even more. I paid in total about 300 euros for the android unit, fascia kit and steering wheel adaptor.
(Post Link) post #13 of 22 Old 09-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Hi pendragonfalls,

Wow, he can afford to be good! Between 900 to 1900 ? Hmm.... Unless he fits units bought elsewhere and is not insanely expensive? His website seems v expensive!

Mysterio, where did you get your unit from and what would you advise? There are decent android devices and awful android devices. I would sooner not make a guess lol

Cheers - J
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

I just did a bit of research online before I bought mine. I settled on a brand (Eonon is called and this is the model) then I got it through a seller on ebay cheaper than Eonon's website. Any brands should be ok Joying, XTRONS and Eonon since they seem to offer some sort of customer service. If you're ever around Dublin, you're more than welcome to look at mine. I've had it installed since September last year and it's been hassle free so far but I am going to change it to one without a DVD slot for extra screen space.

The install itself is pretty much plug and play, the only difficult bit is re-routing the Blue&Me box and routing the microphone cable.
(Post Link) post #15 of 22 Old 09-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
I just did a bit of research online before I bought mine. I settled on a brand (Eonon is called and this is the model) then I got it through a seller on ebay cheaper than Eonon's website. Any brands should be ok Joying, XTRONS and Eonon since they seem to offer some sort of customer service. If you're ever around Dublin, you're more than welcome to look at mine. I've had it installed since September last year and it's been hassle free so far but I am going to change it to one without a DVD slot for extra screen space.

The install itself is pretty much plug and play, the only difficult bit is re-routing the Blue&Me box and routing the microphone cable.
This is really what I am looking for. How fast and responsive is the unit?

How did you know to go for that model? As in fitting size etc?

Did you need to buy the new cradle and aerial adapter?

What was involved in rerouting the Blue and Me box? I have been looking for a pic or shot of the back of the standard box and maybe a pic of what each harness etc does. I have not been able to find here on AO or on Google and I have not been able to find any. I work with the internet and design games for a living, so am used to looking for things lol An outline of what does what and what everything looks like would be kind of useful....

Oh, my 159 has the BOSE unit with amp in back.

Cheers - J
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

It's pretty fast. From putting the key into the ignition it takes about 30 seconds to boot up. Size wise I've seen people install 7" tablets in their 159's, so all double din sizes should fit. I would settle for at least Android 6 Marshmallow on the tablet for extra customisation. And don't do the same mistake I did, even though it has buttons on the front, I rarely use them so an Ipad like head unit would suit best.

You would need to buy a adaptor for the steering wheel, fitting kit and an aerial adaptor.

This black box is the Blue&Me. It will just be directed to the back of the dashboard way underneath. If you remove it then the dashboard starts to flicker.

Regarding the Bose. You would need to purchase another adaptor in order to match the correct impedance of the amp. Something like this

The only downside is that the fascia plate will probably have to be cut down as it's too thick. I did mine as well but i was in a hurry like an eejit and the lines are not straight.

P.S on the page for the steering wheel harness it has a installation instruction .pdf file.
AO Member

County: -
I want to change my head unit (and speakers) on my crap-sounding Bose system on the 147 (year 2003/4). My question is, if I go for a 2 DIN unit, do I need to buy all the adaptors mentioned in Mysterio's post? Some posts suggest otherwise, but will installation be a dawdle if I use those adaptors?

I've spent many hours trolling through Ebay and Ali Baba, to find the best value for money kit (GPS, rear cameras, DVR, OBD2, mobile mirror etc), and agree, it pays to shop around. I am wary as well that some of the so called double DIN units are actually slightly larger than 180x100, so may well not fit...I haven't measured the 147 yet, but don't want to end up with a head unit that does not fit! Anyone here got advice on that?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Hi pendragonfalls,

Wow, he can afford to be good! Between 900 to 1900 ? Hmm.... Unless he fits units bought elsewhere and is not insanely expensive? His website seems v expensive!

Mysterio, where did you get your unit from and what would you advise? There are decent android devices and awful android devices. I would sooner not make a guess lol

Cheers - J
He'll fit whatever you buy. Wherever you buy it from.

He charges 40 an hour labour IIRC.
(Post Link) post #19 of 22 Old 16-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
It's pretty fast. From putting the key into the ignition it takes about 30 seconds to boot up. Size wise I've seen people install 7" tablets in their 159's, so all double din sizes should fit. I would settle for at least Android 6 Marshmallow on the tablet for extra customisation. And don't do the same mistake I did, even though it has buttons on the front, I rarely use them so an Ipad like head unit would suit best.

You would need to buy a adaptor for the steering wheel, fitting kit and an aerial adaptor.

This black box is the Blue&Me. It will just be directed to the back of the dashboard way underneath. If you remove it then the dashboard starts to flicker.

Regarding the Bose. You would need to purchase another adaptor in order to match the correct impedance of the amp. Something like this

The only downside is that the fascia plate will probably have to be cut down as it's too thick. I did mine as well but i was in a hurry like an eejit and the lines are not straight.

P.S on the page for the steering wheel harness it has a installation instruction .pdf file.
Hi Mysterio,

I am sorting this out bit by bit. It did not help that my actual Alfa stereo was not working [Blutooth], now sorted, as USB runs via Blu and me unit. [The black box!]

I have found 2 or the units that I really like running Win 8CE. They seem good and have good reports from users etc.

Would I need a Blu and me adapter to run a Head Unit through blu and me or do I use the head units built in Bluetooth? My 159 is pretty much Ti spec, has built in mic etc. Are these used or is the new HU run totally desperate from this? I have sorted all the other items I need, but want to know what the story is with Bluetooth and Blu and me?

Many thanks in advance mate,

Cheers - J
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Hi Mysterio,

I am sorting this out bit by bit. It did not help that my actual Alfa stereo was not working [Blutooth], now sorted, as USB runs via Blu and me unit. [The black box!]

I have found 2 or the units that I really like running Win 8CE. They seem good and have good reports from users etc.

Would I need a Blu and me adapter to run a Head Unit through blu and me or do I use the head units built in Bluetooth? My 159 is pretty much Ti spec, has built in mic etc. Are these used or is the new HU run totally desperate from this? I have sorted all the other items I need, but want to know what the story is with Bluetooth and Blu and me?

Many thanks in advance mate,

Cheers - J

The blue&me becomes reduntant. So everything is from the new head unit including microphone.
All you do is leave the blue&me plugged but relocate it somewhere else so that the double din can fit in there. If you disconnect it the display will start flickering.
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 09-05-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Red Face

Hi Pen,

Thanks for the tip about Steve, he [well one of his lads - Seamus] came and fitted unit. Was major job and took them a few hours! I have the BOSE amp in the back which meant more work, so much had to come out to fit the unit, but well pleased with result and how neat car was left!

They did a first class job and well worth the money, I would never have been able to sort it!

Big thanks for the advice guys!

Cheers - J
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Hi Pen,

Thanks for the tip about Steve, he [well one of his lads - Seamus] came and fitted unit. Was major job and took them a few hours! I have the BOSE amp in the back which meant more work, so much had to come out to fit the unit, but well pleased with result and how neat car was left!

They did a first class job and well worth the money, I would never have been able to sort it!

Big thanks for the advice guys!

Cheers - J
Quality work, eh..!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
fitting , gps

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page