A New Car - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Republic of Ireland All events and potential meets in Ireland

19Likes
  • 9 Post By Donalh
  • 1 Post By David P
  • 1 Post By Hugh Myles
  • 2 Post By H3llR4iser
  • 1 Post By Donalh
  • 2 Post By Donalh
  • 1 Post By H3llR4iser
  • 1 Post By H3llR4iser
  • 1 Post By Donalh

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 10-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Meath
A New Car

At about 11:30 this morning I put a deposit down on my new car.
It's an Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0l petrol 200hp Super Sport in Alfa Red.The spec is:
  1. Winter Pack
  2. Climate pack
  3. Sound Theatre by Harmon Kardon
  4. Power Folding Mirrors
  5. Front & Rear Parking Sensors
  6. 40/20/40 Split Folding Seats
  7. 18" Dynamic Alloys
  8. Black on Black Interior

Did the deal with Gary in Tractamotors and was happy with the deal and the price I got for the 159. I'd talked to him a couple of times over the last couple of weeks or so. On Thursday night he dropped out a white Giulia Super Sport diesel for me to have for a couple of hours, which was great. It gave me a real chance to get a feel for the car and make an easy decision. So hopefully I'll be the proud owner in about 12 weeks.

Donal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Great spec with some really nice options Congrats & well wear Donal
Pics please when it arrives & don't forget to add the Giulia to the Owner Register, I'm guessing you'll probably be one of the first.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Nice.
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Brera 2.0 JTDm

Well done. I'm planning on getting a new SW when they come out.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

'09 159 2.4 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalh View Post

Did the deal with Gary in Tractamotors and was happy with the deal and the price I got for the 159.
Donal

Do you mind telling me what spec 159 you had and what he offered you off for it? I love my 2.4 159 TI but if it were to get me a chunk off a petrol Guilia I reckon that love could be bought and sold.
(Post Link) post #6 of 23 Old 12-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Angry

Ok, my mood isn't improving at all this evening. My PC has crashed twice while trying to post this.
In order to have heated seats, I have to have the winter pack, power seats & folding mirrors. Which comes in at a total of 2,600. So I'm dropping all of them.
in order to get the Sound Theatre pack I also have to have the Convenience pack. A total cost of 2,150. So I'm dropping them as well.
I'm thinking of the Performance pack for 2,400

Performance Pack (adds 7KQ Alfa Q2 performance badge)
 Steering column mounted gear shift paddles
 Limited shift differential
 Alfa active suspension
 Alfa Q2 performance badge

But I don't want to turn the car in to a race car and it really sticks in my throat to give Alfa Romeo any more than I have to. Also none of the reviews I've read for the standard car mentions the performance pack so I'm just not sure about it, and nobody seams to have spec'd it either.
What should be a really exciting and pleasurable experience is turning into a right pain in the arse. It's crossed my mind to forget the whole thing.

Garage
As you've unfortunately already found out there are a lot of options which are tied to or require other options, this can make the option you want very expensive & difficult or impossible to justify (it's similar on the Giulietta & in previous models)
See the notes in the brochure for full details http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...e_20161026.pdf

As for the Performance Pack, I wouldn't bother as according to the brochure the Super Sport already has the paddles as standard, not sure I get the benefit of the Q2 or the active suspension.

Good luck with the decision, it's not easy speccing a factory order, I know how easy it is to go overboard ticking the options list
But if you are planning on keeping the car for many years or if you are doing high mileage then if you can afford it then you might as well have the car you want with the toys you want
Mufasa likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

There is a mid range stereo upgrade available, its 500 in the UK and 650 here (confirmed by my local dealer). Its described on the uk configurator under packs as
'Sound Theatre: 11 speakers (including subwoofer) Ambient light'.
The active dampers are the same type as in the Quadrifoglio, the magnetic type, but they only have 2 settings. For 800 they would be worth having, but for 2 k +, personally the standard dampers are so excellent as to make it a no brainer.
Mufasa likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

TBH Donalh...I think you're better off without the "excess fat"; I know people love "toys" in their cars but....cars are made to be driven, especially something like the Giulia. So, stuff that influences the dynamics is very welcome - the paddle shifters on the steering column for example make the fact the car is auto bearable and even enjoyable with a sporty, single seater like feel (although I don't understand the fad of having them bolted to the column); The active suspension - great to have, but might be extremely expensive when it's time to change the shocks.

The price of the "winter" and "sound theater" packs, together, is that of a decent second hand car...for what are, in the end, useless gimmicks: the heated seats, maybe they have some use in Siberia (and even there, I'm sure I'd be sweating on them); Folding mirrors, I have hands perfectly capable of doing so; Don't even get me started on the electric/power seats, a pointless complication of what is a very simple, yet effective adjustment system; And all the sound stuff...I won't be paying enough attention to the music (or better, shouldn't!) to notice the difference between a 200 Euro set of decent speakers and a super-hyper-ultra-clear-mega-hd-super-definition one, with traffic, engine and road noise in the background.

As for the "passenger's comfort and entertainment"...they got plenty of views outside the windows, for free!
Mufasa and samsemtex like this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llR4iser View Post
TBH Donalh...I think you're better off without the "excess fat"; I know people love "toys" in their cars but....cars are made to be driven, especially something like the Giulia. So, stuff that influences the dynamics is very welcome - the paddle shifters on the steering column for example make the fact the car is auto bearable and even enjoyable with a sporty, single seater like feel (although I don't understand the fad of having them bolted to the column); The active suspension - great to have, but might be extremely expensive when it's time to change the shocks.

The price of the "winter" and "sound theater" packs, together, is that of a decent second hand car...for what are, in the end, useless gimmicks: the heated seats, maybe they have some use in Siberia (and even there, I'm sure I'd be sweating on them); Folding mirrors, I have hands perfectly capable of doing so; Don't even get me started on the electric/power seats, a pointless complication of what is a very simple, yet effective adjustment system; And all the sound stuff...I won't be paying enough attention to the music (or better, shouldn't!) to notice the difference between a 200 Euro set of decent speakers and a super-hyper-ultra-clear-mega-hd-super-definition one, with traffic, engine and road noise in the background.

As for the "passenger's comfort and entertainment"...they got plenty of views outside the windows, for free!
Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0 Super Saloon 4dr (start/stop) (2016) in Red. Probably the first second hand Giulia for sale.... http://www.veloces.co.uk/cars/kdy/al...ZFAD1B276.html
AO Silver Member

..i sort of miss the heated seats on my GT in the mornigs.. for about 90 seconds..! As for the Giulia, i think you have to have the paddles, but after that once it has leather and the nicest wheels you can swing it should be awesome
(Post Link) post #12 of 23 Old 13-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi guys
Yeah I get what you're saying about the "excess fat" and I thought I had a nice balance. It's my first and probably only brand new car and I wanted to be mine, with my spec.
Anyway I've sent a fairly strong email to the dealer who have forwarded it on to Alfa Ireland, not that I'm expecting much back from them.
I'm still buying the car but would feel a little better if I didn't feel I'd been messed around.

Last edited by Donalh; 13-12-16 at 21:58.
(Post Link) post #13 of 23 Old 15-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casesensitive View Post
Do you mind telling me what spec 159 you had and what he offered you off for it? I love my 2.4 159 TI but if it were to get me a chunk off a petrol Guilia I reckon that love could be bought and sold.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.
The 159 was a 09 Ti spec with the 2.0jtdm engine. Condition wise it's fairly good for it's age, with 96,000 miles on the clock. It has a full service history with Ti Autos and has upgraded audio, Eibach springs and front disks.
I got 8,500 for it. They said the spec, engine in particular with it's lower tax, and full history would make it an easy sale for them.
casesensitive likes this.
(Post Link) post #14 of 23 Old 15-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

So I did the deal.
Alfa Ireland came back with an offer to make the costs of the extras a little more palatable. I'm hoping that I get it delivered mid February but who knows.
Mufasa and Kildare Alfa like this.

Garage
Sounds like the email was worth the effort, result
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

Wow Donalh, very well done! I have to worry, however, about the FCA/dealer's initial attitude / rigidity. That's exactly what the brand need way less of...anything can be said about BMW/Audi/Merc, but one thing is for sure: as many said before, if you walk into one of their dealership and want a car painted pink with red polka dots, they'll see if they can do it for you, rather than go "NO"...
Scortho likes this.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
...if you walk into one of their dealership and want a car painted pink with red polka dots, they'll see if they can do it for you, rather than go "NO"...
That's your next car sorted then.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
That's your next car sorted then.
Thinking about it, I might actually settle for sparkles:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c4dfb304aef2653e25ec85ae29b329ea.jpg (65.5 KB, 9 views)
Mufasa likes this.

Garage
He'll be easily "spotted"
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Thinking about it, I might actually settle for sparkles:
Suits you, sir.
(Post Link) post #21 of 23 Old 16-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Wow Donalh, very well done! I have to worry, however, about the FCA/dealer's initial attitude / rigidity. That's exactly what the brand need way less of...anything can be said about BMW/Audi/Merc, but one thing is for sure: as many said before, if you walk into one of their dealership and want a car painted pink with red polka dots, they'll see if they can do it for you, rather than go "NO"...
The main problem with the dealer is that they don't know their product. He knew he didn't have to sell me the car, I was going to buy it no matter what. So very little effort required on his part.
As for Alfa Romeo themselves, they're the ones that are packaging up the extras and packs in such a way that in order to get heated seats for example you have to two other packs at a total cost of 2,600. If they are trying to entice new customers away from the competition that's not the way to do it.
Mufasa likes this.
AO Member

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalh View Post
At about 11:30 this morning I put a deposit down on my new car.
It's an Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0l petrol 200hp Super Sport in Alfa Red.The spec is:
  1. Winter Pack
  2. Climate pack
  3. Sound Theatre by Harmon Kardon
  4. Power Folding Mirrors
  5. Front & Rear Parking Sensors
  6. 40/20/40 Split Folding Seats
  7. 18" Dynamic Alloys
  8. Black on Black Interior

Did the deal with Gary in Tractamotors and was happy with the deal and the price I got for the 159. I'd talked to him a couple of times over the last couple of weeks or so. On Thursday night he dropped out a white Giulia Super Sport diesel for me to have for a couple of hours, which was great. It gave me a real chance to get a feel for the car and make an easy decision. So hopefully I'll be the proud owner in about 12 weeks.

Donal
Hi Donal, are you the guy I met in Tractamotors one Saturday morning late November. We were both looking at their Giulia?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Alfa Romeo Club Events > Alfa Romeo Meets & Events > Ireland > Republic of Ireland

Tags
car

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page