Grrr SoutheEastern trains again!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

EddieGTA

Grrr SoutheEastern trains again!!

So it is law that if the train service is rubbish and not on time a certain percentage each month, season ticket holders get 5% discount.

Winter has approached and guess what, the timetables have expanded. My train in the morning arrives one minute later, and my train home leaves Charing Cross one minute later.

Now OK it is one minute, but I have been working in London for just over 5 years. At first I was catching the same train home but from Waterloo East (the next stop down from Charing Cross) At this time it was the 18:19. This had already had time added to it as it became the 18:19 from Charing cross, adding 3 minutes.

So in five years 4 minutes have been added, so much for the new trains eh???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

emgee

Re: Grrr SoutheEastern trains again!!

You could move to Milton keynes. You might be able to travel on one of those nice Italian trians then.

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
So it is law that if the train service is rubbish and not on time a certain percentage each month, season ticket holders get 5% discount.

Winter has approached and guess what, the timetables have expanded. My train in the morning arrives one minute later, and my train home leaves Charing Cross one minute later.

Now OK it is one minute, but I have been working in London for just over 5 years. At first I was catching the same train home but from Waterloo East (the next stop down from Charing Cross) At this time it was the 18:19. This had already had time added to it as it became the 18:19 from Charing cross, adding 3 minutes.

So in five years 4 minutes have been added, so much for the new trains eh???

But passenger numbers have increased substantially, and with that, so have station dwelling times.

EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
But passenger numbers have increased substantially, and with that, so have station dwelling times.
Not enough to warrant a timetable extension, sorry but it is no different now to five years ago. And rolling stock has been updated with more capacity so we are told.

HSTDriver

Quote:
Not enough to warrant a timetable extension, sorry but it is no different now to five years ago. And rolling stock has been updated with more capacity so we are told.
You see it from your point of view, which is understandable, but every single day of the week I arrive at stations on time, and joe public ambles along, AMT coffee in one hand, laptop bag in the other. Stands by the waiting train, looks at the screen, looks at the train, looks at the screen, looks at the train. Asks the paltform staff if this is their train looks at the screen ,looks at the train.
Gets on the train. Pokes head back through the door, looks at the screen. Asks a different passing member of platform staff if this is their train. Looks at the screen. Finally moves into the carriage.

Then just as train is about to be despatched, someone at one end of the train gets off. Leaves the door open and walks away, now platform staff has to run down platform to shut the door, while this is going on more idiots are trying to work out if this is their train, repeat ad nauseum.

Eventually leave 5 mins late, after all the idiots are on board and then the passengers blame the trains for making them late.

There are more passengers travelling than there were 10 or even 5 years ago (backed up by statistics, if you care to check) and I'm convinced (altough this is possibly not in the public doman) that their collective IQ's are much lower

EddieGTA

Quote:
You see it from your point of view, which is understandable, but every single day of the week I arrive at stations on time, and joe public ambles along, AMT coffee in one hand, laptop bag in the other. Stands by the waiting train, looks at the screen, looks at the train, looks at the screen, looks at the train. Asks the paltform staff if this is their train looks at the screen ,looks at the train.
Gets on the train. Pokes head back through the door, looks at the screen. Asks a different passing member of platform staff if this is their train. Looks at the screen. Finally moves into the carriage.

Then just as train is about to be despatched, someone at one end of the train gets off. Leaves the door open and walks away, now platform staff has to run down platform to shut the door, while this is going on more idiots are trying to work out if this is their train, repeat ad nauseum.

Eventually leave 5 mins late, after all the idiots are on board and then the passengers blame the trains for making them late.

There are more passengers travelling than there were 10 or even 5 years ago (backed up by statistics, if you care to check) and I'm convinced (altough this is possibly not in the public doman) that their collective IQ's are much lower
I guess in that sense I should class myself lucky, they do not hold the train up for numpties at least. It is clearly stated that doors shut 30sec before departure and assuming they are on time they do indeed shut the doors regardless.

I don't disagree that there are more people but you are not telling me that some pen pusher somewhere has worked out that push the times back here or there and they won't have to pay out for their lack of ability in getting a train to run on time.

I was 10 mins late today, purely because in their infinite wisdom we were informed by the driver that a stopping train had been let ahead of us.

HSTDriver

Quote:

I was 10 mins late today, purely because in their infinite wisdom we were informed by the driver that a stopping train had been let ahead of us.

That one makes my blood boil And being stopped to cross a freight train in front of me

But I'm off work now til after chrimbo, so all is calm.........

AO Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
I didn't think trains had [slam] doors anymore, assumed they were all controlled by the driver/conductor.
I can understand train crew frustration with travelling joe public. If it wasn't for passengers the railways would be perfect, much like a hotel without guests or a college without students.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie155 View Post
I didn't think trains had [slam] doors anymore, assumed they were all controlled by the driver/conductor.
I can understand train crew frustration with travelling joe public. If it wasn't for passengers the railways would be perfect, much like a hotel without guests or a college without students.

HST's are one of the few remaining trains with slam doors, along with the loco hauled services that some companies still run.

EddieGTA

Quote:
That one makes my blood boil And being stopped to cross a freight train in front of me

But I'm off work now til after chrimbo, so all is calm.........
Ah good to know I am not alone!

The other thing I have is going home to Dartford there are a lot of trains from Charing cross, but the ones that terminate at Dartford are best avoided. They can set outside the station letting all the other ones go through for bloody ages!

Have a good Chrimbo, got the rest of this week but just had an email confirming my time off YAY!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page