Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 17-12-07 Thread Starter
Status: In the red...
AO Silver Member
 
silvervalver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Sussex
Posts: 2,140
Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

I was driving back from brighton earlier coming off the downs (hills just outside of town), there was a cop car in front of me.

as I came to the bottom of the hill there was a lorry in the emergency slip road gravel trap. Obviously his braks had failed and he had just crashed. He turned his hazards on just before I went past so I guess it had just happened.

Now If I were to police I would have stopped to see if the guy needed help and was alright. If I were to lorry driver I would have expected them too. But they sailed passed without even slowing down.

I think this is really quite bad. What the hell are the police for? Even if it is not exactly their duty to deal with traffic stuff I would have thought they could at least stop. The traffic police on the motorway stop to check on broken down cars. Normal police will stop someone who is speeding or driving dangerously, they don't just let them get away with it so why drive past that?

I think they didn't want to get out in the cold. Lazy sods!

BTW I would have stopped if there hadn't been a cop car in front of me incase anyone is going to suggest that. I kept expecting them to pull up further down but they didn't.
silvervalver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Daddy bear
Global Mod Team
 
bazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Congleton - The centre of
Posts: 44,625

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Could have been on a call to somewhere else so couldn't stop, went on their radio, let another patrol know - you wouldn't have known a thing about it.
bazza is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 17-12-07 Thread Starter
Status: In the red...
AO Silver Member
 
silvervalver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Sussex
Posts: 2,140
Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Could have been on a call to somewhere else so couldn't stop, went on their radio, let another patrol know - you wouldn't have known a thing about it.
thats quite true actually. I did think it was pretty bad of them but that makes sense.
silvervalver is offline  
Status: "My other car'sa 166 TWO twice"
AO Gold Member
 
Pomeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 10,880
Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Perhaps the 2 of you are each y correct.

BUT

He was at the scene...a couple of minutes to check the driver was ok and they could have radioed to see if another unit was more appropriate to deal with any incident they were despatched to...I take it they were not blue lighting it or you would have mentioned it.

So not an urgent matter of life or death call.


I recall many years ago as a young beat cop...walking back to the police station after being on foot patrol....The snow and rain was wild and running down the sheough of my neck and that of my colleague.
A passing traffic car..top of the range granada drove past and they had the heater on and was so hot that they were in shirt sleeve order.....didn;t even acknowledge us....Then a taxi driver stopped...enquired where we were going and siad jump in..i said we had no cash on us he said its a freeby..so we jumped in...Turns out he was a taxi driver that I had booked weeks earlier for leaving his taxi running while unattended outside alocal night club....The taxi would have been stolen but for our presence.I told him the amount of cars stolen in the area with no keys in them never mind with the keys in them and the engine alreadty running...I was surprised when he said ..No you were right son..for the sake of a few seconds switching the engine off and taking the keys with me I could have lost my car for months and escalated insurance.

But I then felt sore about not just letting off with a warning.as he was obviously a decent individual ...but you make a decision knowing what you do at the time.

Another rant over But you are correct silversalver I met quite a few lazy sods too as well as real good genuine cops .A few minute by the cop at the scene could save a lot of time with another unit to have to attend where he alraedy was.

"Don't follow me,Follow the Highway Code "
Pomeo is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 18-12-07 Thread Starter
Status: In the red...
AO Silver Member
 
silvervalver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: East Sussex
Posts: 2,140
Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeo View Post
Perhaps the 2 of you are each y correct.

BUT

He was at the scene...a couple of minutes to check the driver was ok and they could have radioed to see if another unit was more appropriate to deal with any incident they were despatched to...I take it they were not blue lighting it or you would have mentioned it.

So not an urgent matter of life or death call.


I recall many years ago as a young beat cop...walking back to the police station after being on foot patrol....The snow and rain was wild and running down the sheough of my neck and that of my colleague.
A passing traffic car..top of the range granada drove past and they had the heater on and was so hot that they were in shirt sleeve order.....didn;t even acknowledge us....Then a taxi driver stopped...enquired where we were going and siad jump in..i said we had no cash on us he said its a freeby..so we jumped in...Turns out he was a taxi driver that I had booked weeks earlier for leaving his taxi running while unattended outside alocal night club....The taxi would have been stolen but for our presence.I told him the amount of cars stolen in the area with no keys in them never mind with the keys in them and the engine alreadty running...I was surprised when he said ..No you were right son..for the sake of a few seconds switching the engine off and taking the keys with me I could have lost my car for months and escalated insurance.

But I then felt sore about not just letting off with a warning.as he was obviously a decent individual ...but you make a decision knowing what you do at the time.

Another rant over But you are correct silversalver I met quite a few lazy sods too as well as real good genuine cops .A few minute by the cop at the scene could save a lot of time with another unit to have to attend where he alraedy was.
quite true. In know some good cops too which is why i was careful to say "some"

I guess this just stems from my dislike for traffic policing. I always get the feeling they are out there to "catch you out", on the prowl to ruin your day.

I just feel there is a real imbalance with modern policing. They seem to have to deal with all sorts of time wasting stuff (eg paper work) and it detracts from there original purpose.

I think police should be re branded. They should be a friend of the public. Not someone you end up hateing. There to look out for you. You get whole communities who work against the police in the Cities because they all hate them. Granted it is because they are mostly up to no good but it all stems from a lack of trust. I think I'm getting a bit to political here now so i'll leave it at that!
silvervalver is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 27
Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

If it was a fast road network and the patrol car was just a town type car with out rear reds then if he stopped and any one hit his car - he would be in the **** - so it might be a lazy cop but i would think the wrong car to stop in - it must be a traffic car or a car with rear reds and at least 10 cones in
999Kent is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Mr T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Up North
Posts: 993

Member car:

GTV Cup, GT

Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Don't know the circumstances behind them not stopping so I'm not going to comment. However

Quite a number of years ago I was driving back to university with all my belongings when I was wiped out on a roundabout leaving my car as a write-off. The police attended and sorted out getting the car uplifted. They then told me to remove my belongings. Then promptly told me that they couldn't give me a lift 2 miles up the road as they were being called back to the station, the other party disappeared in an ambulance. They told me they would go to the taxi rank on the way back to the police station and send a taxi down for me. I had no option but to stay were I was on the side of a busy junction with all my stuff until I managed to flag down the only taxi that would stop over an hour later. This was at the start of January in Scotland! On the plus side I had lots of clothes with me.

The next day when I had to get the bus to get police station to show my details, I asked what time the night befores shift had finished. Low and behold it was around the same time as my accident. I'm not bitter, but I certainly wouldn't have treated anyone like that. I do believe that if any police officer is wanting to be treated with respect they should at least go out there and earn it.
Mr T is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
bigredshaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,411

Member car:

A big black car.

Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeo View Post

I recall many years ago as a young beat cop...walking back to the police station after being on foot patrol....The snow and rain was wild and running down the sheough of my neck and that of my colleague.
A passing traffic car..top of the range granada drove past and they had the heater on and was so hot that they were in shirt sleeve order.....didn;t even acknowledge us....
.
Foot Patrol? Granada?

You are Dixon of Dock Green and I claim my prize.

I remember those days, everything was in Black and White wasn't it?
bigredshaza is offline  
Status: "My other car'sa 166 TWO twice"
AO Gold Member
 
Pomeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 10,880
Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Sure wasBigredshaza.

999kent BIG RED 10 cones..wow health an safety...must be a new thing....My day hazards and a HEARTBEAT blue light on the roof.(Gosh when I think of what me and the real polis did then we'd get the jail for it now)


I recall the popes visit to Glasgow Bellahouston Park many years ago.I wasn't even there.(But BigRedShazza I got a prize)

All the stops were pulled out and the police got orange tabards with a wee bit of relective tape on it.A bus driver handed in a box of them which wasleft on his bus at a police station .My mate got me one....In those days the attitude of the buyers was we would rather have 7,000 raincoats that leaked and evryone got one than 3,000 that didn't and some cops stayed dry.
In the dead of winter and on a stormy day I was wearing my Popes Orange Tabard over my leaky raincoat directing traffic away from a dangerous building in a state of collapse when this car stopped and enquired what the score was...Turned out it was my Chief Inspector on his way to the office.I aadvised him and he went on his way.At the next junction was a colleague without the "stolen" Popes tabard and what a gutting he got for not having the safety gear that I had.....What a laugh we had afterwards.

Pomeo
Pomeo is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
bigredshaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,411

Member car:

A big black car.

Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeo View Post
999kent BIG RED 10 cones..wow health an safety...must be a new thing....My day hazards and a HEARTBEAT blue light on the roof.(Gosh when I think of what me and the real polis did then we'd get the jail for it now)

Pomeo
If they only have nine cones they just get back in the car.
bigredshaza is offline  
emgee
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeo View Post
Popes Orange
Now there's two words you don't often see next to each other in Glasgow.
 
Status: "My other car'sa 166 TWO twice"
AO Gold Member
 
Pomeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 10,880
Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredshaza View Post
Foot Patrol? Granada?

You are Dixon of Dock Green and I claim my prize.

I remember those days, everything was in Black and White wasn't it?

Soory Bigred...I'll need to reclaim your prize....Dont think Granadas were out when Dixon was on patrol.Very few people had cars then not like today.People walked and people talked.


Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Now there's two words you don't often see next to each other in Glasgow.
Emgee you nit picker you

Ok then....Pope's Orange

But as you can clearly see the blunder was actually forward planning and the start of PC and integration they just didn't know it then.

But the left over peat which was disposed of after the ven made the strawberres taste so succulent.

P me

Last edited by Pomeo; 19-12-07 at 09:02.
Pomeo is offline  
emgee
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

I wasn't after the apostrophe by the way (though your spontaneous correction is admirable). I just thought the Pope had a kinda greenish tinge.
 
Status: "My other car'sa 166 TWO twice"
AO Gold Member
 
Pomeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 10,880
Re: Why are the police (or at least some of them) so lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
I wasn't after the apostrophe by the way (though your spontaneous correction is admirable). I just thought the Pope had a kinda greenish tinge.
Can't help you there > I just don't know any more.It a mixed up world since evrything went into the great big melting pot.
Pomeo is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome