Speeding?! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

2Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 22-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
Speeding?!

22:50 at night, clear road, dry, low traffic, 81mph on the M4 (J19/J20). £100 fine/3 points or the dreaded Speed awareness course...sigh...

I've had a clean licence for years now, so will probably go on the course...

Not sure what device it was, didn't see it. The Notice says "Automatic Camera Device". So beware if you are in the area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I got a letter on Friday 61 in a 50. Did a course 5 years ago. Would the option be open to me or should the awareness of speed last a few years?
(Post Link) post #3 of 28 Old 22-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Yes you should be given the option. My last course was I think about 4 years ago. Still suffering from the tedium of it... I was the youngest there by about 20 years....it was full of the older generation who really had not much idea why they were there. I think pretty much everyone (including me) was caught out at Pencraig on the A40 where they have a particularly zealous clamp down every few weeks.

Still we all had a nice day out and tea and biscuits.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeat View Post
22:50 at night, clear road, dry, low traffic, 81mph on the M4 (J19/J20). £100 fine/3 points or the dreaded Speed awareness course...sigh...

Not sure what device it was, didn't see it. The Notice says "Automatic Camera Device". So beware if you are in the area.

I know technically that is still speeding, but even so... Is 81 mph on a near empty motorway all that dangerous?

No wonder motorists are seen as cash cows.
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Quote:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...s/censored.gif
That will be the variable speed limit section. Even when the signs say national limit (i.e. Normal motorway speeds) those cameras remain active and are always flashing. Always go through there at 70.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Just gonna have to take it on the chin.....if i am not mistaken the course usually costs the same as the fine....is it the 3 penalty points that worries you the most ?

Read here : Why a speed awareness course could hike up your insurance premiums | Money | The Guardian
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
Just gonna have to take it on the chin.....if i am not mistaken the course usually costs the same as the fine....is it the 3 penalty points that worries you the most ?

Read here : Why a speed awareness course could hike up your insurance premiums | Money | The Guardian
That is total and utter b*ll*cks what the insurer is saying.

How they can say that those who speed are more likely to have a crash is ridiculous, when you consider that pretty much everyone speeds from time to time whether intentional or not.

Unless being caught makes you more likely to crash?
Mitch916 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:

If you had been going 2 or 3 mph slower you might have got away with it. 10% + 2mph is what the allow or at least used to allow. Maybe its only 10% these days.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
I have been on two speed awareness courses (over three years apart) and have had a total of 12 points over the years - all for speeding in 70 mph limits. I am neither proud nor ashamed. Currently I have three points on my licence (two months ago).

My point? Regardless of my thoughts on the matter I was fully aware of what I was doing each time and the consequences if caught. The speed awareness courses are heavily biased towards not speeding in 30mph areas (which I wasn't) but were managed well despite some people showing a rude contempt for them.

Despite declaring each offence to my insurance company it has not affected my premiums.
duemila likes this.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post

How they can say that those who speed are more likely to have a crash is ridiculous, when you consider that pretty much everyone speeds from time to time whether intentional or not.

Agree with you 100% but when is anything common sense anymore nowadays ?? ;(
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

81 on the motorway, what a joke
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Quote:

Total scam. Only in th UK #RipoffBritain
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Total scam. Only in the UK #RipoffBritain
What would the fine be for exceeding the motorway limit by 17% (a speed of 152kph) in France Tata?

I'll be honest I don't have a great deal of sympathy for people who deliberately break the speed limit by such a margin. I wish you all the best alfabeat but slowing down by 5 -10 mph would have saved you 3 points and £100 or a speed awareness course.

Last edited by AlfaDrivingFan; 22-05-16 at 09:20.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
It's still €90 I think. €130 if you don't pay in 28 days.

1 point.

And **** all to do with your insurance company.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:

The speed awareness course taught me that the rural A roads are where the safety/ speeding issue is at its worst. I'm pretty convinced that the QE2 bridge where I am accused of committing my offence used to be a 60 limit but was reduced when they went to 'plate recognition for charging the toll. The bridge is technically a B road but it's perceived as part of the M25.
(Post Link) post #16 of 28 Old 22-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post

The course is £90, fine was £100, but it is the 3 points I don't want. I know I don't have any at the moment, but it is all too easy to get a few "silly" 3 pointers (like this one!).

A course or points have never affected my insurance policy in the past. Mind you the maximum I have ever had is 6 at any one time.

And speaking of insurance, just got our renewal through from Admiral - 4 cars (Alfa GTA, Defender, XC90 and Yeti) on a multi car policy for £790. Not too bad!
(Post Link) post #17 of 28 Old 22-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
What would the fine be for exceeding the motorway limit by 17% (a speed of 152kph) in France Tata?

I'll be honest I don't have a great deal of sympathy for people who deliberately break the speed limit by such a margin. I wish you all the best alfabeat but slowing down by 5 -10 mph would have saved you 3 points and £100 or a speed awareness course.
Not looking for sympathy or a way out.

It's just there is no joined up thinking or discussion about motorway speed limits. Last time I heard they were talking about increasing the limit to 80mph, as the experts felt it was safe to do so and cars have moved on a bit since the 70mph limit was set, now they are enforcing the 70mph limit stricter than ever before.

Thankfully I don't do many miles on motorways anymore. If I did, I think I would go insane. 70mph for hour on hour is more dangerous than going faster - I switch off and doze..... Thankfully we have the M50 nearby and some great A roads.

Looking forward to the tea and biscuits and the one old git full of contempt for the course and not learning to just shut it and do the time.

Silver 156 GTA SW, Q2, Koni FSD's, Eibach springs and anti-roll bars, CDA induction, re-map, Wizard/Pud exhaust - fantastic!
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
4 cars (Alfa GTA, Defender, XC90 and Yeti) on a multi car policy for £790. Not too bad!
A Defender, XC90 and a Yeti!

Go free my son, you've more than paid your motoring pennance.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Not looking for sympathy or a way out.

It's just there is no joined up thinking or discussion about motorway speed limits. Last time I heard they were talking about increasing the limit to 80mph, as the experts felt it was safe to do so and cars have moved on a bit since the 70mph limit was set, now they are enforcing the 70mph limit stricter than ever before.

Thankfully I don't do many miles on motorways anymore. If I did, I think I would go insane. 70mph for hour on hour is more dangerous than going faster - I switch off and doze..... Thankfully we have the M50 nearby and some great A roads.

Looking forward to the tea and biscuits and the one old git full of contempt for the course and not learning to just shut it and do the time.
I live almost 2 hours away from roads I can legally travel at ~70 mph on. When I get to those roads, believe me, 70 mph seems fast and that's because I'm generally unused to that speed. If the motorway limit is raised to 80 mph you'll just get used to it and then you'll get bored and switch off again.
(Post Link) post #20 of 28 Old 22-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post
A Defender, XC90 and a Yeti!

Go free my son, you've more than paid your motoring pennance.
Too true!!!
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Damn straight. I swear I must be 400% more likely to crash (or have a PE) following some oaf at 26mph through town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
I live almost 2 hours away from roads I can legally travel at ~70 mph on. When I get to those roads, believe me, 70 mph seems fast and that's because I'm generally unused to that speed.
Yokel!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Damn straight. I swear I must be 400% more likely to crash (or have a PE) following some oaf at 26mph through town.
I do 28mph through town and the hand gesture was not funny!

AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

GT 3.2

I've always wondered about the variable speed limit sections (not roadworks) on the M1 and M6... are the displayed speed limits enforced with the cameras or are they just asking nicely? I often I've driven through them at ~80 mph when they say national, and sometimes if they're at say 60 I'll cruise through at 65-70. Never had any points. Maybe I've just been really lucky so far.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
81 on a motorway. Oh, you absolute menace, you!
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6soundsgood View Post
I've always wondered about the variable speed limit sections (not roadworks) on the M1 and M6... are the displayed speed limits enforced with the cameras or are they just asking nicely? I often I've driven through them at ~80 mph when they say national, and sometimes if they're at say 60 I'll cruise through at 65-70. Never had any points. Maybe I've just been really lucky so far.
I was lead to believe that the overhead camera were only operational when the reduced speed limit was in place. I have seen them flash at cars when the reduced speed limit has been in place.

But they are now adding a second set of cameras on the road side stanchion that are permanently operational

So far I have only seen them in the sections of "Managed Motorway" as they call them. Seen them on the M25, M6, M1, M3, M42 and probably coming soon to a motorway near you!!

They are not painted a bright colour, just a dull grey to match the stanchion steelwork.

Julian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam01.jpg (69.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by jparkin486; 25-05-16 at 12:16. Reason: added picture of camera and spelling mistake

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page