Police - you lost, show some dignity - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

emgee

Police - you lost, show some dignity

The tendency of the police to make almost slanderous statements after being hammered in court really boils my bladder. The latest was this race-fixing malarkey. The judge threw the whole case out as being non-existent, then you have some CID type telling the Beeb that they had a compelling case and it was a shame the jury didnt get to see all the evidence.

Well I think that's crap. They had their day in court, such as it was, and the small horsey people are now innocent under the law. These statements amount to "well, he's got away with it, hasn't he", which is an unjustified slur on their character. This was just the latest example, I'm sure I've seen it before.

Anyway, I find the concept of fiddling horse racing hilarious. Is this different from the "horse racing" where they go up to the horse they think is fastest and hang weights on it to slow it down? They should give that Paula Radcliffe a rucksack full of King Edwards to even it up a bit. Or make Phil "Not Bad For A Port Vale Fan" Taylor throw with his other hand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VO2Max

Re: Police - you lost, show some dignity

What makes me laugh is, they allow people to bet on a horse to lose. Fixing races? What do they bloody expect?

AlfaLincs

Episode 2...Apparently its not just the horses that have been doing the snorting. Fallon has failed a drug test for cocaine...for the second time. This is nothing to do with the Police.

As for race fixing..well there are always funny goings on in racing. Proving it is a different matter, and clearly there was not enough proof.

I can enjoy a day at the races...about once a decade. I used to quite enjoy points to points when I was younger, but I was looking at different sorts of fillies then say no more

AlfaLincs

emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
Fallon has failed a drug test for cocaine...AlfaLincs

Yes - on a horse called "My boy Charlie" or similar.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Police? Dignitty Yes they do a tough job but in the eyes of joe public, they need to earn dignity & defo can't afford to loose it!
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

To balance it out a bit, I couldn't help but laugh at Fallons lawyer, who followed the statement:

"This was a horrible waste of the taxpayers money"

with the statement

"We intend to demand that several inquiries are run"

That'll help then
mikebrown

in my experience you have to be a "certain type of person" to join the police force....usually a power crazed, attention seeking individual who would sell his own mother to get a result....no time for coppers at all..they do the job by choice, get well paid for doing it....but only seem to moan....

AO Member

wow mike thats a bit harsh my partner is a copper and she works so so hard and does not get well paid, pretty terribly paid for the amount of hours she does and really badly timed shifts - she is overrun with jobs to go to and then paperwork. The horseracing saga is not the polices fault, they investigate and get all the information they can together. It is the cps who then decide if they have a case and who will ultimately prosecute on that not the actual police. They just get the evidence and then let them decide so its unfair to blame it on the normal coppers. My girl does a hard job very well and she cares about helping people and making a difference although that sounds cheesy she really does. She is definitely not powercrazed but cares about the people she can help
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrown View Post
in my experience you have to be a "certain type of person" to join the police force....usually a power crazed, attention seeking individual who would sell his own mother to get a result....no time for coppers at all..they do the job by choice, get well paid for doing it....but only seem to moan....
Hi, Mike,
Gosh you really have had some bad times ,with the boys/girls in blue.
I trust that you never have to call on them,in the same situation,has my friend was in ,distressed,out of his mind wishing to end it all.
Young lad in blue did a great job. Mate still able to pay for his round, and give our group a good laugh.
John the luddite.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

In my experience you have to be a "certain type of person" to hate the police force....usually a casual criminal, thinking they're something special, but whine like a child when they get rightfully caught for what they've done...

Now Mike, I don't believe what I've just written at all, but it's about as accurate as what you've written.
You think the country would be a better place without a police force? It'd be utter anarchy. Yes there's the odd bad apple in the police, like any other profession, but in the main they do a bloody hard job, never knowing when they might be in danger of severe physical harm, and all they get is grief from people because - no matter what crime they focus on - there'll always be some whinger saying "I'm not the real criminal, why don't they go out and catch ... instead".

I certainly wouldn't want to be a policeman in this society.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
emgee

Woah, i'm not trying to start a copper bashing thing here. They can prosecute who they like within reason*, if they think they've got a case. But if they're acquitted, they shouldn't go around doing the "nudge, wink, we know they done it really" stuff. Much less if their case has just been lauhed out of court.

*i.e. not me.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

You might argue why should the police show any more dignity than the rest of society?
emgee

Because they should maintain their credibility in the eyes of the public in order to do the job we pay them to do. Especially the senior ones that get to do press conferences.

AO Platinum Member

I was on a jury once.. and quite often you do just know the scally in the dock did it... so it's frustrating when the evidence presented by the CPS compels you to let them go.

CPS ought to sort themselves out, then the rozzers would chill out a bit.

Ralf S.

Last edited by Ralf S.; 11-12-07 at 07:15.
AO Silver Member

Speaking as a policeman people who are guilty of crimes get off with it all the time through a technicality or some point of law. It does not mean they never committed the crime simply that they were not convicted of it.

I am not saying that is what happened in this case as I don't know the facts but I have seen it happen plenty of times and the only people who I feel sorry for are the victims of the crime who never see justice done.
AO Gold Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Well said Alfaguy..Many years ago I was involved in an incident and the best medicine for me was the "boys" from the RUC as it was known then whom I met while convalescing at the Northern Police Convalescent Home at Harrogate.

Emgee has a point as you also said win or lose or draw (Not proven) they should accept the verdict with some decorum...Whether the verdict is right or wrong it is the process.

As MB says yes there are some like he states.I didn't like them either.

The police are paid to do a job which the public should do for free.IE uphold and enforce the law.

We have a police force which polices by consent .If that is lost so are we all.

A police force is also representative of the community it polices.
There is a group from all walks of life in the police including gay,ethnic and religion.All to do a common job .

BUT It takes a thief to catch a thief and that is where the system fails.
I could give numerous incidents too many to divulge here but it is a system doomed to fail from the start.The court system depends on the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Can anyone honestly expect a muderer,housebreaker or thief to tell the truth?
A police officers house had to be in a certain area,on a bus route so he could esasily get to work and a few other irrelevent relevant conditions.

BUT they never checked who your next door neighbour was and you could have a mojor criminal next door to you and unless you stumbled on to it you would never know.

People forget with the passage of time that the Ripper was caught by an old fashioned coppers nose and a PNC check which showed a discrepancy.Nowadays with all the palaver to do this simple check if the Ripper was on the go he would not be caught the way he was .Right or wrong I dont have the answer.

Until they are replaced with a better system then that is what we have ...the good the bad and the ugly.....Just like society.

Rant over ..coffee time

Pomeo

"Don't follow me,Follow the Highway Code "

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page