Slowcoach speeders - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 07-12-07 Thread Starter

Slowcoach speeders

Why is it my spider attracts slowcoach speeders? These are usually old men in 200 series Rovers who drive on the country lanes where I live at a constant 40mph. 40mph through the lanes where the national speed limit is 60mph and 40mph going through villages where the speed limit is 30mph. Dangerous driving style in both areas with other drivers trying to overtake on blind corners through the lanes, and pedestrians jumping off crossings in the villages. "Never had an accident in my life"! NO BUT LOOK AT THE CARNAGE LEFT BEHIND YOU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: Slowcoach speeders

Buddy, this is performance-related ratio that's beyond your control. I used to have a very fast, 2.0 Clio 172. Naturally, I was always at the end of the queue. Now, I have an uber-slow Polo 1.4 auto. And where is it? That's right, at the start of the queue, ****ing everyone off.

As someone who loves cars, the irony is not lost on me; I am proof that the slower the car, the greater the odds of it heading up the traffic. The faster the car, the greater the odds of it being stuck behind a Polo struggling to move...

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

I always think people that drive like that are just as bad if not worse than speeding. They are in there own little world and havn't got a clue what is going on around them They always appear when your late aswell

These 'speeders' are certainly in Dorset and what I have read on other threads they are all over the country.

It also appears that they are attracked to all makes of cars and not just Spiders
AO Silver Member

Garage

I followed a old guy in a rover for about 6 miles the other day doing 28 mph, thinking no it's not safe to overtake and I don't want to look like a loon. the first set of lights we get to he just rolls through about 5 seconds after they turn RED. STUPID T**T.

Then you get the slowcoach with another slowcoach behind who wont overtake and of course leaves no room so you have to do both of them at the same time
emgee

...and the ones in these dark winter times obviously with night blindness who slow right down when something comes the other way

(Post Link) post #8 of 21 Old 07-12-07 Thread Starter

Glad its not just Devon. I was following another old g** last week and he even put his brakes on when a pushbike was coming the other way. I wouldn't have minded as I am quite a thoughtful driver myself, having my own kids and being in my forties, but there were white lines in the middle of the [email protected]%dy road. Absolute danger to other drivers.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Apart from Chief Constables those are the worst type of speeding motorists to me, drive at 45MPH every where oblivious of the speed limits and the poor buggers behind them.

I'm not sure I agree with G this time though, any modern car is capable of keeping up with the traffic, if it's a slow one, you just don't slow down for corners
I quite like driving slow cars, it's a challenge to get the best out of them.
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Followed someone in a large Volvo saloon the other day. Whoever it was was so small, I couldn't see their head over the headrest through the rear window. Anyway, the driver braked for EVERY bend, however slight, AND every time something came the other way. These people must get through more brake pads/discs/brake light bulbs than the rest of us put together, surely???
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

I hate these kind off drivers.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Me too.
As you say, it's always a Rover. 200, 400, cityrover (wtf?) etc

or a Daihatsu

Grrr

Had one tonight coming home from work doing 40mph in 60mph zone. When I overtook he started flashing me as though I was doing something wrong It was a straight road, nothing coming the other way, I wasn't tailgating him, I didn't flash my lights or blow my horn at him so what's his problem
Darren156

I get this ALL THE TIME mate coming back from work on these really exciting B road lanes that soon cut into villages. The old guffers will do 40MPH no matter what the limit is for some reason, I think it's their happy medium,

AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANKMAN104C View Post
Had one tonight coming home from work doing 40mph in 60mph zone. When I overtook he started flashing me as though I was doing something wrong It was a straight road, nothing coming the other way, I wasn't tailgating him, I didn't flash my lights or blow my horn at him so what's his problem
I had this turning onto a totally straight mile long+ road very near me that I know well at night recently.

Accelerated straight past the Focus without really trying, had only got up to about 50mph (NSL road) as I just came past her, and then the main beams went on WTF????
robk147

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabw View Post
I had this turning onto a totally straight mile long+ road very near me that I know well at night recently.

Accelerated straight past the Focus without really trying, had only got up to about 50mph (NSL road) as I just came past her, and then the main beams went on WTF????
Don't worry about it, it's just a signal to thankyou for waking them up. That's what I tell myself when it happens to me

AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood79 View Post
Followed someone in a large Volvo saloon the other day. Whoever it was was so small, I couldn't see their head over the headrest through the rear window. Anyway, the driver braked for EVERY bend, however slight, AND every time something came the other way. These people must get through more brake pads/discs/brake light bulbs than the rest of us put together, surely???
i really HATE those kind of drivers,makes you wonder how some of those imbociles passed their test..
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

You should of tried the M1 in '59/'60 what a hell of a place that was with 'dawdlers' blocking it up Motoring ever backwards I am, never seen so much gridlock, where have all these cars been born? Are they illegal entrants?
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabw View Post

I find a quick dab of the brakelights or the fog lights let's these flashers know what you think.
Perversly, what they are doing, ie blinding you in your rear view mirror, is a lot more dangerous than your original overtaking move that annoyed them so much.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Quote:
Similar thing the other evening, followed a Fiesta at speeds varying between 25 and 35 (in a 40 limit) and when there was a safe place to overtake I did....to be near blinded by the mad flashing of lights behind....

Quote:
You didn't slip with the trigger and catch him in the tail pipe with a depleted uranium one, did you?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page