The almighty 'Best in Class' Ford Fiesta - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Firstcaralfa
  • 2 Post By jaypeebee
  • 3 Post By Ber Tony GT

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 12-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
The almighty 'Best in Class' Ford Fiesta

Recently some joyrider decided that he wanted to drive into the work Qashqai in the middle of the night, splendid. I the mean time I get a 2015 1.25 zetec fiesta.

Oh, they're meant to be a nice little motor, I thought. Will be fun to drive one, I thought.

Everyone gives them a great review, and they get best in class in a fair few magazines. So there I was relatively curious at having the Fiesta for a couple of weeks.

What a big steaming pile of ****.

How can SO many people choose to buy one of these? The engine/gearbox are useless at anything over 40mph. The build quality is shocking, indicator stalks feel like they're going to snap off every time you use them! Don't get me started on the lights, I thought GT lights were bad, this is a whole new level!

Comfort.. Okay I know they're a city car as such but they should deal with a motorway journey with ease. Drive to High Wycombe, couple of hours each way, and my back was in tatters afterwards. On a slight incline at 70 in 5th, with my foot to the floor the car actually started to lose speed!!!

I thought I would check the prices of these new. £14,000. Who in their right mind would spend so much money on such a horrible car.

Don't even get me started on the journalists, do they actually believe what they are writing?! They could not have been driving the same car that I am at the moment.

Best In Class? Not a chance.

I'd prefer a Suzuki Alto, at least they don't claim to be the dogs danglies.

Oh and the best bit, my average mpg considering it's mostly motorways.. 38.8.
shiny boy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Perhaps they do get best in class. But what is the competition in that particular class? Maybe it is just better rubbish than the rest

38.8 mpg on motorways? I get more than that out of the Giulietta 1.4MA
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 12-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Fair point, but I can't accept that it's better than the Mazda 2, Honda Jazz, VW Polo, Mito, Peugeot 208, Hyundai i10 and the rest I've missed out.

A car THAT bad cannot be best in class and better than everything else.

The mpg is a joke, I get low 30s from the GT at 65-70.
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
I've never seen much from ford to warrant their reputation, the girlfriends parents had a current fiesta as a courtesy car last year and couldn't believe how cramped it was in the drivers seat, the steering wheel is in your lap and I'm in no way a tall person. Their c max is ok but generally they don't feel very well put together. This is all from an observational point of view though, haven't driven a Ford since one of the original ka's

Sent from my D5103 using Tapatalk
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
My dad has a 2014 Fiesta ST

It is a great car, pretty quick does 35-40mpg without trying, handles well and the build quality is a step ahead of the Giuliettas.

It is a shame that it is only 2 doors, and has little room in it.

I would imagine a small engined one with cooking suspension would be a different beast though.

I have had a few fords, a Mk2 Fiesta 1.3 Ghia, my first car, it was a pile of junk.

Mk4 XR3i, same as above, it was awful. I don't get the attraction that they seem to have these days.

1.7 puma, brilliant car, had to sell it because of lack of space.

Mrs currently has Mk1 (Facelift)1.6 Ford Focus Ghia, it has 130,000 miles on the clock and just keeps going. We have been offered nearly the same price for it that we paid 2 years ago, but it just keeps going and never needs anything doing to it.

Oh and it rides and handles better than my Giulietta.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 12-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

See I would expect the ST to be a completely different beast. Would like to drive one of those at some point.

Would they use different parts in an ST interior? I would hope so.

I expected much more than it is I think. Mk1 focus is a cracking car. Good friend of mine had one at around 160k, estate and a 'lovely' burgundy colour. Thing is though it was nice to drive.
AO Platinum Member

I think the main parts of the ST interior such as the dash etc are the same, only with a few extra goodies, bits of silver trim, leather steering wheel etc.

The seats are half leather Recaros with orange inserts.

He hasn't let me drive it yet, but he reckons it is just as good to drive as his previous BMW 335i Convertible.

Nearly as quick in everyday use, and much more agile.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcaralfa View Post
Fair point, but I can't accept that it's better than the Mazda 2, Honda Jazz, VW Polo, Mito, Peugeot 208, Hyundai i10 and the rest I've missed out.

A car THAT bad cannot be best in class and better than everything else.

The mpg is a joke, I get low 30s from the GT at 65-70.
It's related to the Mazda 2. It's amazing how you can hate a car if you want to !
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 12-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
It's related to the Mazda 2. It's amazing how you can hate a car if you want to !

Yeah I did some reading and saw that it shared a fair amount with the Mazda.

I honestly thought I would like it but from what I was expecting, it came in well below expectation.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I think the main parts of the ST interior such as the dash etc are the same, only with a few extra goodies, bits of silver trim, leather steering wheel etc.

The seats are half leather Recaros with orange inserts.

He hasn't let me drive it yet, but he reckons it is just as good to drive as his previous BMW 335i Convertible.

Nearly as quick in everyday use, and much more agile.
A colleague replaced his AMG CLK 63 ,which he got new, with an ST just before the warranty ran out and he's delighted with the Fiesta. Not just because he hundreds of quid better of every month either.
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 12-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

In all fairness I would expect the ST to be leaps and bounds ahead of a 1.25 with 80bhp.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Depends on peoples perception here,

I've driven several new Fiesta's and they seem very refined and taut handling for a small car
Try a Chevrolet Aveo and then you know what the word "appalling" was coined for
Dave Brand, symon and cue2 like this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 16 Old 15-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber Tony GT View Post
Depends on peoples perception here,

I've driven several new Fiesta's and they seem very refined and taut handling for a small car

Try a Chevrolet Aveo and then you know what the word "appalling" was coined for

Fair point. Perception is key I guess, and this, apart from the picanto I learnt to drive in, is probably the smallest car I have driven for a prolonged period of time.

My mum has a Megane convertible which is also a truly hateful car.
AO Platinum Member

The last Ford I drove was a Transit back in the 90s. I find it difficult to see where Ford gets this stellar reputation from. My neighbour had a Mk1 Focus and loved it, he now has a 60 reg Focus and he hates it, says it built cheaply and handles like a cow on ice!

I know I'm biased but the Fabia is a better car for the money than the Fiesta. *Takes cover*
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
The last Ford I drove was a Transit back in the 90s. I find it difficult to see where Ford gets this stellar reputation from. My neighbour had a Mk1 Focus and loved it, he now has a 60 reg Focus and he hates it, says it built cheaply and handles like a cow on ice!

I know I'm biased but the Fabia is a better car for the money than the Fiesta. *Takes cover*
Not driven a Fabia, but I did have use of a new Rapid 1.6 diesel a couple of years ago. Same car with a boot?

It was ok don't get me wrong, but very uninspiring to drive, and the interior was cheap.

Fuel economy was ridiculous, I managed to get 65mpg without even trying.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber Tony GT View Post
Agreed. Precise steering, good gearchange, smooth and responsive engine, light controls generally. I'm tallish but very comfortable in one. And they're not bad looking.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page