Parking... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

16Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 11-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Not Happy Parking...

OK, so I might be a bit @[email protected] about this, but I HATE people who carelessly open their doors into your car in car parks. Careless, or wantonly evil, its all the same, they are disrespectful scum.

So, when I go out, I often park far from the shop. You know, far, far, away - like at the beginning of Star Wars. Carefully trying to find an area where you can get a space with a bit more room, or where there are no other cars so the risk from the aforementioned dregs of humanity slamming the doors of their banal bland-wagons into my much cherished (even my daily drive Punto) car is diminished.

Why then when I park in the abandoned wastelands of the retail park, with acres of countless free spaces all around me, does the one other bugger who comes to that area park right next to me?!?!

I should have taken a photo, but I was too incredulous and busy checking my panels for any marks

AND just to make it worse, the sheep who cannot park alone and HAVE to park next to you ALWAYS drive a complete pile of

There. Feel better now.

Ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

The exact same thing happened to me in Lancaster a few weeks ago. The only difference was that I was sat in the car when the ****ing dozy ****s got out and rattled their doors against mine. Then left the doors open resting against mine whilst they went and got something out of the boot. Words were exchanged, not all of them polite.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Annoys me as well, I had it happen the other day at a service station.

Not sure they actually banged my door, but why park next to me when i am so far away from the rest?

Another thing that annoys me is those super narrow parking places you sometimes get, especially as shopping centres and supermarkets. If everyone parks within the middle of a bay there is about a 1 foot gap between each car.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Baffling and annoying phenomenon.
Just happened to me; parked miles from shop, no other cars near. Returned to car to find girt big filthy transit parked six inches from my driver's door - still no other cars around!!??? Massive twaaat!!
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

05 156v6 veloce

When my 156 was new to me (approx 3 yrs old at the time) i did my best to keep it spotless even buying a old volvo t5 to smoke around in doing the tip runs,shopping,dog trips etc and managed to keep my 156 spotless just using it for enjoyable driving..

The first time i took it shopping (volvo laid up in garage) some **** left a shopping trolley up against the door and a small dent breaking the paint...wtf is wrong with people.Now ive picked up a few scratches here and their im not so bothered but i was livid at the time..

Rubber paint is the answer here

“If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.”

Mario Andretti
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Annoys me as well, I had it happen the other day at a service station.

Not sure they actually banged my door, but why park next to me when i am so far away from the rest?

Another thing that annoys me is those super narrow parking places you sometimes get, especially as shopping centres and supermarkets. If everyone parks within the middle of a bay there is about a 1 foot gap between each car.
It's a good reason to have a young child. Unfortunately mine has been big enough for quite a while so that I can't in all conscience park in the parents and children section to get a bit of extra door room. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm infirm.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
The exact same thing happened to me in Lancaster a few weeks ago. The only difference was that I was sat in the car when the ****ing dozy ****s got out and rattled their doors against mine. Then left the doors open resting against mine whilst they went and got something out of the boot. Words were exchanged, not all of them polite.
How's the Jaaaaag's boot working out for space and awkwardly shaped loads?
Paddy OPlastic likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
Yes, and easy to clean?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
You are William Woollard and I claim my five pounds prize money.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

In answer to the question, it's working out brilliantly because anything large, awkwardly shaped, dirty, smelly or resembling a border collie goes in the CRV.
AO Platinum Member

So you called for back-up ...?

AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
This is part of the reason why i enjoy taking the old Leon to do the shopping run

Same at work, leave the car out the way and come back hours later to find a great massive Sprinter taking every inch and more of its space next to me, boils my blood why many have no respect whatsoever for other peoples P & J
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
When I had my old battered Series 111 Landrover I would deliberately seek out cars carefully parked away from others in car parks and park right next to them.

There was never any danger of doors (either mine or theirs) bumping even if fully opened but I liked to imagine the apoplexy of the owners as they approached from a distance and saw what looked a pile of junk parked cheek by jowl to their precious.
symon and average joe like this.
(Post Link) post #14 of 38 Old 12-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
When I had my old battered Series 111 Landrover I would deliberately seek out cars carefully parked away from others in car parks and park right next to them.

There was never any danger of doors (either mine or theirs) bumping even if fully opened but I liked to imagine the apoplexy of the owners as they approached from a distance and saw what looked a pile of junk parked cheek by jowl to their precious.
You Sir, have a sick sense of humour!!!

Sadly I do not think the usual offenders are employing intelligent, and respectful, irony when they do it.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
This baffles me as well.

I deliberately park far away from anything whenever I can, but countless times I get back to the car with someone parked right next to my car with ten or twenty other open spaces next to me.

A few days ago I parked far away from any other cars or the entrance to the building and while I was still in my car two other cars came and parked on either side of me virtually simultaneously. It was so shortly after I parked that they must have seen me in the act of parking there. I shot each of the drivers a dirty look, started my engine again, revved it angrily, reversed out of the spot and parked four spots over. I saw the one driver shaking his head, baffled.

We share this world with idiots, people, beware!

Another time I parked in an underground parking garage and deliberately chose a spot between two pillars so nobody could park very close to me. Got back to my car to see a 159 was parked in the next spot, but my joy was short-lived when I saw that it was diagonally reversed into the spot, and the person who had opened the rear door of the 159 had left a nice little dent in my car It took a LOT of willpower not to go around kicking dents into every panel on that 159!
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

There is fix or two for this.
  1. Park the car with all the others. You can guarantee you will get it whacked and as such not be surprised
  2. Leave the good car at home.

Good rantage and a well established phenomena.
Or 3, see below.
AO Platinum Member

3. Lease car. Job jobbed.
MalcQV likes this.
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

05 156v6 veloce

Quote:
3. Lease car. Job jobbed.

Private lease or company lease..??

My mate got hit for a 2 grand touch up respray before he returned his private leased merc c class,to be fair it was a state and if the lease company had billed him im sure they would of charged him a lot more..
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezley View Post
There is fix or two for this.
  1. Park the car with all the others. You can guarantee you will get it whacked and as such not be surprised
  2. Leave the good car at home.

Good rantage and a well established phenomena.
Or 3, see below.

Nope, I think fix 4 is the ultimate solution:

4. Get two autonomous cars to follow you around and program them to park in the spaces to either side of your car.

The only remaining problem of note with that solution is to make sure some inconsiderate fool doesn't decide to drag his shopping trolley or pram or wide behind through the space between the car and the robotic entourage cars, leaving nice long streaks down the sides.
TheGrimJeeper and MalcQV like this.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam bailey View Post
Private lease or company lease..??

My mate got hit for a 2 grand touch up respray before he returned his private leased merc c class,to be fair it was a state and if the lease company had billed him im sure they would of charged him a lot more..
Mines a company lease. So even better.

But it has opened my eyes to the leasecar world.

It's not I don't care any more about damage, It's that I only stress about it for a couple of minutes per incident.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
It's a good reason to have a young child. Unfortunately mine has been big enough for quite a while so that I can't in all conscience park in the parents and children section to get a bit of extra door room. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm infirm.
Conscience didn't bother my somwhat infirm late 80s father and 60-something sister using the parent and child spaces so that my father had more room to struggle into and out of the car!

Someone in an ancient Golf put a noticeable dent in the back door of my G. I found the culprit who admitted the offence when the back door of her car fitted the dent exactly. I don't know the total cost of the repair but as I am VAT-registered her insurers said I had to pay the VAT which was over £100.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

2005 GT 3.2 V6

Same. Next one leaving a mark will get it. Also, when they park right next to you even though your parked all alone they leave mere inches to open the door, I mean, cammon, are you )*(&% stuupid?
AO Member

Its not too bad if you can park next to some supermarket shrubbery at the edge of the car park

Only 50% chance of damage then...
Aramis likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I hate this also.
On the rare occasions that I've taken the GTA to a shop/supermarket I've been know to turn around, drive home and jump into Maud (the 18 yr old Mondeo) when there hasn't been a suitable space to leave the Alfa in. I even like to park Maud a good distance from others because she is in such good, original condition (or used to be before she began to suffer the wear and tear at the hands of less considerate parkers/drivers). The doors on the Mondeo (mark 2) have a pretty thick outer skin in comparison to most 'modern' cars, but even so they have picked up various parking dents over the last 6 years.

Unimpressed by cars with less than 4 cylinders or below 1600cc.....and don't get me started on hybrids
AO Member

Problem is with alot of modern cars, they have no side rubbing strips so no protection from the cretins

Try to go in midweek evening, less people there then
Its when you see the state of some cars that you realise the odd dent is the least of their problems when the interior is ankle deep in rubbish, and looks like its never seen a car wash
Shouldn't mean our cars have to suffer but thats careless, selfish britain today..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page