Travelodge TV advert - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Scudetto
  • 1 Post By TheGrimJeeper

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 30-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Travelodge TV advert

I can’t quite get angry enough about this to make it really qualify for the rant room, but by jimny the Travelodge TV advert really annoys me. If you haven’t seen it, I can only apologise for what the next 30 seconds is about to do to your life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S_R0dQ26ng

Someone decided it would be a good idea to show what you can do in a Travelodge, like getting up and out of bed. Therefore, the advert shows an actor...getting up and out of bed. All quite sensible. We get the idea. But, for reasons beyond me, someone decided that watching an actor doing this wasn’t enough for the viewing public to grasp, so luckily there’s a muppet in his bed mirroring his actions. Now there’s no doubt it about - yes, it is possible to get up and out of bed in a Travelodge.

In fact, they seem to have so little faith in your ability to comprehend what other marvellous treats you can enjoy while there - like the joys of checking in and then checking out - that the actors doing just that are mirrored by muppets, too.

Now here’s where it gets really weird. The dialogue comes not from the actors, but is delivered by the puppets via the medium of song. If you think there’s nothing wrong with singing muppets, wait until you see their facial features. So, we have actors that don’t talk, sleeping with weird-looking muppets who mimic their actions while blaring out a tune so musically offensive it would be banned immediately by the local panto.

To make it worse, the muppet-led song and dance acts concludes by cheerfully reminding us that staying in a Travelodge is - I can’t believe I’m going to type this - ‘Travel-logical’. You can see what they’ve done there. I just wish they hadn’t. As puns go, it’s not just terrible, but nonsensical. If you were accosted in the street by someone conducting a marketing survey and they asked you to complete this sentence: ‘I like hotels to be...’, who, in a million years, is going to answer with ‘Logical’?

And there you have it. Travel-logical. Just like the ad.
stan laurel likes this.

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.

Last edited by Scudetto; 31-03-16 at 17:07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
In the next room there will be a couple shagging like there is no tomorrow - also shadowed by muppets?
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
They stole the idea.

I first saw it in Smile Time but it might have been done before that too.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Stayed in a travelodge for 4 nights 3 weeks ago.

Pretty dead half-way house, especially the ones just off the motorways (we stayed in the Enfield one). Nice enough rooms but costly, about 60 a night for 2 single beds. And you have to pay for wi-fi seperate.

TV was awful, only 4 channels.

Worse part was after 10pm-ish you get the dodgy looking people turn up in the car parks, hanging around the doors in their puffa jackets looking incredibly shady. Literally each corner of the car park had someone hanging around there. Couple of cars would turn up, a bloke would be waiting, exchange and then they would disappear. And always in Range Rovers or Audis.

So yeah.......

Interesting experience.

I'd say go for a premier Inn if you want a better stay.

2007 159 1.9 JTDM - Argento - Black Leather
Wheels: 18" Multi-spoke in Dark Anthracite
Chassis Mods: Powerflexed front-lower wishbones
Engine Mods: EGR Delete/De-Swirled
Exhaust: Wizard Dual Backboxes Conversion
Lighting Mods: 6500K HID's & Fogs, Osram LED Conversion, Tri-Halo Conversion
Aesthetics: Ti Sideskirts, De-Chromed Grille, Brera Nose, EZ Lip, Biscione plate badge, Decals, B/Silver Giulia badges, gloss black interior / exterior trim
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Live commercial TV? Why are you watching it, G?
It's just there to annoy people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJoe92 View Post
And always in Range Rovers or Audis.
What are you implying...?
shiny boy likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Excellent quality ranting, 9 out of 10!
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Well, on the grand scale of commercials I thought it was actually one of the more imaginative and memorable. I had the trope as being stolen from the excellent Jason Segel Muppet Movie (with the memorable Oscar winning song 'Am I am a man, or am I a Muppet'). Ad agencies and creatives have a long history of stealing ideas from proper artists and this would appear to be one of those cases.

Which takes us logically on to the Excellent current Warburtons Crumpet ad which is essentially a Muppet tribute show in 30 seconds and the only ad for a long time which properly creates a warm glow of pleasure - even my daughters with no Muppet show history enjoy that.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Getting a bit cynical,cantankerous, as time passes Scud?

We found the logic in using the Travel Lodge for 3 months at 19 a daily pop, rather than going for rented when we were after a new house?

The manager allowed us to use the kitchen facilities, and even allocated us the Honeymoon Suite, this had been part of the former hotel, so was quite luxurious by comparison to the 'plebs' dossers?

Never had to share it with a Muppet, (self regard aside? ) and had an enjoyable stay from one October through to December.

Would we use the same again in the future? Probably not if we could get a similar deal from Premier Inns. :

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page