Business proposal??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 26-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
Business proposal???

My wife is a department manager at a large retail company and works 30 hours a week set shifts since having our boy,
The then manager bent over backwards to keep her as she is a very hard worker.

The manager has since left and new manager tried to change her hours and shifts without success because of childcare,

now 2yrs later the whole management team had been invited in to have 1to1 meeting regarding a business proposal.

In the meeting the store manager explained the company was changing structure and there jobs roles no longer exists and they have changed the management structure, so there are two roles that they have to apply for

A whole shop floor manager or team leader

Both rolls full time, both roles a pay cut for my wife

My wife asked if this is a redundancy situation and told no? Wife has 1 meeting a week for the next 4 weeks talking her in to applying for a role and the reason she can't.

She explains, both are full time so have issues with childcare (we don't have any family to help out etc)

Plus one role is a promotion yet 50p less a hour, other a demotion £1.50 less a hour but really same job I'm doing just different title.

The two other managers apply for the shop floor role and both don't get it and settle for team leader role. One of the other managers over heard a conversation between the manager and area manager about not having any redundancies but descression pay?

My wife hasn't applied for any roles because non are a suitable alternative job role and requested to have a meeting with hr and told in her last meeting she will/ 5th meeting.

The 5th/ last meeting is next week and today she has been told hr won't be there just on the phone for advise for the store manager.

Today my wife checked the rota's and all her sifts for next weeks are covered/ another member of management is mirroring her shifts, so she is now very worried this will be her last meeting and told to leave!

How can big company's screw just over the staff so easily!!

Last edited by jonalfaspider; 26-03-16 at 21:36.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Sounds a bit ****ty to me.

Is she a member of a union? If so, I'd get onto them ASAP.

If not, citizen's advice might be a good place to start.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wo...ights-at-work/
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
HR and management are not there to protect employees.
They are there to protect the company's interests and
see that all the employment rule are followed and
the minimum amount of money is paid out.

It's the modern fully liberalised working market.
Able to chew people up and spit them out with
very little comeback.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
My wife , who's an HR manager, suggests you need to participate in the meetings in this kind of situation or it may be interpreted as a resignation. The info given suggests that the suitable alternative employment is not suitable so it would be good to discuss with the employer after taking advice.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
HR and management are not there to protect employees.
They are there to protect the company's interests and
see that all the employment rule are followed and
the minimum amount of money is paid out.

It's the modern fully liberalised working market.
Able to chew people up and spit them out with
very little comeback.
Agreed 100%.....caring for staff is long dead
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
My wife , who's an HR manager, suggests you need to participate in the meetings in this kind of situation or it may be interpreted as a resignation. The info given suggests that the suitable alternative employment is not suitable so it would be good to discuss with the employer after taking advice.
Mrs. V is also management and she agrees with Cues wife. There are always new brooms coming in every few years putting into place new practices that they've just read about. You have to positively participate or you're sending out the wrong signals.

Even I seem to have swallowed a management handbook
(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 28-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks guys the final meeting is tomorrow so will let u know how she gets on, she really down about it, not that it could be a redundancy or business change the fact no one is being straight and saying what will happen next.

She will no resign no matter what she enjoys her job to much.

Both positions aren't suitable alternative job roles.

So if redundancy is to be offered she will have to take it. (12/13yrs service)

I called Acas they said it sound like a redundancy situation (only option if your current job role no longer exists?)

They won't let let me in on the meeting as only a employee or a trade union rep so it seems official.

Finger crossed for tomorrow, will just see what happens. I think the worst big jabot knowing what to expect or what might happen.
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 28-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Just thinking about it now, why would the store manager have another department manager in on the exact same shifts as my wife, surly they think she is going to leave on need support

Surly they can't just get rid of you like that
(Post Link) post #9 of 17 Old 02-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thought I would update this might help someone else

Wife went for her meeting on the Tuesday and was dismissed and her last day was Thursday! Two days notice! Shocked is a understatement she had 12 years "clean" service

She will get £3000 discretion payment and dismissed under "SOSR"

Meaning some other substantial reason!

We have wrote a appeal to head of hr
AO Platinum Member

Move to France.

It would have cost them a year's salary if they
treated a worker here like that.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Hence the way the French work "chez" their employer and we work "at" a workplace.
AO Platinum Member

You also visit chez le dentiste, but
you don't make youself at home there....
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

My sympathies Jon....hope she can get another job quickly
AO Member

County: Teesside
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonalfaspider View Post
My wife is a department manager at a large retail company and works 30 hours a week set shifts since having our boy,
The then manager bent over backwards to keep her as she is a very hard worker.

The manager has since left and new manager tried to change her hours and shifts without success because of childcare,

now 2yrs later the whole management team had been invited in to have 1to1 meeting regarding a business proposal.

In the meeting the store manager explained the company was changing structure and there jobs roles no longer exists and they have changed the management structure, so there are two roles that they have to apply for

A whole shop floor manager or team leader

Both rolls full time, both roles a pay cut for my wife

My wife asked if this is a redundancy situation and told no? Wife has 1 meeting a week for the next 4 weeks talking her in to applying for a role and the reason she can't.

She explains, both are full time so have issues with childcare (we don't have any family to help out etc)

Plus one role is a promotion yet 50p less a hour, other a demotion £1.50 less a hour but really same job I'm doing just different title.

The two other managers apply for the shop floor role and both don't get it and settle for team leader role. One of the other managers over heard a conversation between the manager and area manager about not having any redundancies but descression pay?

My wife hasn't applied for any roles because non are a suitable alternative job role and requested to have a meeting with hr and told in her last meeting she will/ 5th meeting.

The 5th/ last meeting is next week and today she has been told hr won't be there just on the phone for advise for the store manager.

Today my wife checked the rota's and all her sifts for next weeks are covered/ another member of management is mirroring her shifts, so she is now very worried this will be her last meeting and told to leave!

How can big company's screw just over the staff so easily!!
This would not be allowed to happen in France or Germany where workers are valued and not abused as slave labour "lucky to have a job". Some mugs voted the tories in and boy !, are we stuck with them, they don't give a rats ars* for workers rights. My step son went to UNI and now 'flips burgers' in Subway for less than minimum wage.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonalfaspider View Post
Thought I would update this might help someone else

Wife went for her meeting on the Tuesday and was dismissed and her last day was Thursday! Two days notice! Shocked is a understatement she had 12 years "clean" service

She will get £3000 discretion payment and dismissed under "SOSR"

Meaning some other substantial reason!

We have wrote a appeal to head of hr
https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/reasons...n-be-dismissed

If you haven't seen it, have a look at the above website.

I've always worked for large companies and have lost count of the numbers of restructures that's been done. I've made a conscious descion not to go down a management route as they are usually the main victims, although I may have to change that as a result of a reorganisation currently taking place.

They ones that I've seen often appear to me to be a disguise to get rid of faces that no longer fit or promote those that do.

Good luck to your missus and yourself.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Take the money and move on.
Spacecadet

Consult a solicitor about lodging proceedings under constructive dismissal or even better constructive dismissal via sexism. Should be worth it financially, especially if she is in a union. They should offer the legal costs to fight it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page