Windows Vista - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 69 Old 21-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Windows Vista

God! What a waste of 70! I only bought Vista Home Premium because I couldn't find my copy ox XP Pro anywhere when I bought a new hard drive and thought I'd keep up with the times. My god what a pain in the arse though. I've had it on my PC for a few months and even though I rarely use it (I'm normally on XP Pro on my laptop) it infuriates me every time I do!

Everything is hidden so that idiots can "understand" how to use their computer, and don't change things they shouldn't change. It keeps trying to second-guess me, like Office does. It keeps asking me to find solutions to computer problems and send error reports. Programs keep stopping responding. It eats all my memory. ARGH!!

I currently have iTunes, Solidworks and MS word open, and combined with Vista that uses up 830MB of my 1GB of memory. It's so painfully slow.

It may look nice but other than that it has nothing going for it!

Avoid until you have no other choice, I say! XP works just fine thank you!

My Flickr Photos | Leave late, drive fast
2002 147 2.0 Twin Spark Lusso . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 156 2.5 V6 SP3 Q2 - Gone but not forgotten

For Sale - Pair of 156 headlights. PM if interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Re: Windows Vista

My post from an older thread:

-----
Its the clunkyness of it, just too slow - we have the 2Gb RAM option, and it just doesn't respond like XP does on a 512Mb system. Office 2007 is also very memory hungry. Boot up, you could go and make a cup of tea and drink some of it by the time the HDD has settled after loading it all. Have switched off the sidebar and transparency which helps a little. Even resuming from sleep takes ages - with my Mac you open the lid, it connects the the wireless and have Firefox open within about 5 seconds - Vista must be well over a minute! Sounds petie all this but it doesn't feel like 5 years of progress!

(Post Link) post #3 of 69 Old 21-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Grr! My second rant of the day I know but it really grinds my gears! Maybe I'll start using Linux...

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex

I have Vista on my laptop and havent had any problems with it as of yet but i only really use my laptop for pictures and the internet. I know what mean about everything being hidden, everything is a pain in the a$$ to find once its on my laptop tho.

I rather XP but all our work computers are bein Vista soon
emgee

Office 2007 is a real pain in the arse as well. You have to do 3 times as much clicking to do the same things compared with Office 2002/3, and all the common menu options are carefully hidden. Not to mention the new placeholder system that ensures lines are never level, and it can stick its Calibri all the way up to its ileum.

And you always end up saving in Office 1997-2003 format anyway, 'cos nobody else has it. Don't upgrade your MS Office package until you absolutely have to.

PS: I was messing about with W98SE the other day. Let's not forget what a complete bag of wnk the DOS-based Windows systems were.

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Gtv 2.0 ts

I use Vista @ work, it's not too bad for general use but i use some specific programmes that just cannot operate along with Vista, which means i have to switch to another terminal to use XP which worked fine.
Nev

It's pants. bin it.

AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

GTV 3.0 "Gina"

Sorry Nicky
There's only one thing to do - dump the whole kit, go a and but a Mac, and live in fast moving, no quittin, works every time utopia! Best thing you can do with Vista is join up with every other poor soul who has bought it, get every copy together, suspend them by giant cable from an airship then fly over Microsoft HQ and drop the whole lot on the roof. Of course Bill won't mind because he's already grabbed the wonga.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Office 2007 is a real pain in the arse as well. You have to do 3 times as much clicking to do the same things compared with Office 2002/3, and all the common menu options are carefully hidden. Not to mention the new placeholder system that ensures lines are never level, and it can stick its Calibri all the way up to its ileum.

And you always end up saving in Office 1997-2003 format anyway, 'cos nobody else has it. Don't upgrade your MS Office package until you absolutely have to.

PS: I was messing about with W98SE the other day. Let's not forget what a complete bag of wnk the DOS-based Windows systems were.
I actually get on with Office 2007 much better than I do with Vista. I find the menu's very logically laid out, no extra clicking really - now I am used to it, its easy. The quick PDF maker saves a lot of time compared to all the 3rd party additions on previous versions.
emgee

PowerPoint 2007, especially, is the work of Satan. You have to click about three things just to open the toolbar, rather than having your fave ones all visible all the time. And if you're working with charts, you have to select the marker option, then the marker border, then the marker fill, then the line style, then the line colour....all separately, when they used to be laid out much more in one place. I have to do a lot of slides and it takes me lots longer now. Also, you used to be able to ungroup an automatic chart easily. Not any more. I hate it.

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Go for a Mac next time
emgee

I couldn't face the sock/sandal combo. and I'd still have to use Office, 'cos its thestandard fro the insustry I work in.

AO Member

Member car:

147 GTA

bring back windows 3.1
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboyuk View Post
bring back windows 3.1
Tsk, too new-fangled.

CP/M is what you'll be wanting.

emgee

You knew where you stood with 3.1. Mainly in front of the window slinging the PC out.

To be fair though, it was better than 95. At least 3.1. wasn't really supposed to do sod all, and did it very well. W95 and 98, on the other hand...

Apple stopped promoting their hippy items as 'easier to use' when the W2000 came out. No advantage any more. They started making them look silly instead.

AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

The apple stuff is nice BUT for me it's really for the OS than anything else, and you can only really have the OS if you want to be ripped off for the hardware and not have the hardware you want (I say really because I had OSX running natively on my IBM T series Laptop for a while - oh the days of being a student).

For me Vista is not bad, but as soon as I installed it I turned off all the indexing and rollback rubbish and removed all those annoying "are you really an administrator?" prompts you get to do even the most minor things. It's much more useable and responsive after that.

I'll use Linux again when someone makes a driver for my Soundblaster XFI and there's a slick looking media centre.
ode
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

A Fiat

We still won't touch Vista at work as it slows our processing machines down too much.

At home, however, I have a new gaming PC running Vista and it's sweeeeet, no hiccups, no crashes, no probs, and it's so fast
Nev

What galls me is that we have all these big
multi-core processors, the greatest technology
ever available, and it all gets bogged down
running the OS and the plethora of anti-virus,
spyware and other gubbins that corp ITs
have/like to install.

5 minutes to boot a 2GHz laptop with 1GB
of RAM. They're having a giraffe!

Next PC I'm dual booting Solaris.

Last edited by Nev; 22-11-07 at 08:34.

Dibby

You really should have done some research first before you shelled out £70 an a new OS. Who buys Microsoft products when we have the internet anyways? Yes, Vista is power, memory and CPU hungry but what do you expect, every version of Windows gets slower, more bloated and you need more processing power and memory to get it running smoothly.

Dual and quad cores only make a difference when you're running spftware that supports multi-core processing - big video & photo editing applications and the latest games. It makes no difference (very little difference) to Windows, Office and Internet Explorer.

Nev - Big IT corps HAVE to install antivirus, firewall and all that malarkey because Windows is so full of holes, it's not a 'like' thing, it's because people bring in memory sticks, CDs, use the internet and email and Windows is hopeless on its own without all those extra background programs to protect it - all sucking performance from where it shoudl be going.

If you're looking for something light, quick, stable and un-clunky - Linux is the way. And being open-source it doesn't cost a penny.

AO Gold Member

Vista needs a minimum of 2 gig of ram to run well. It caches a lot of information and therefore needs the memory
AO Gold Member

And for those who thinks OSX is the bees knees, well I have updated Tiger to the latest version on my 12" powerbook. Safari now crashes and I have has several OS crashes and sent numerous reports to apple using their automatic crash reporting software......
Dibby

There's a lot of bugs in the new version of OSX, well documented throughout the internet

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Yep apple users are even experiencing BlackScreenOfDeath crashes and are beginning to sound like Windows users
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

I'm running vista at home and XP at work.

I prefer vista, but it is a little slower IMO.

Backwards compatability has been an issue for me too. Especially with some peripherals I was using fine before I upgraded!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 33 1.7 QV

Oh and this little story is about the 'safe' and stable XP
Microsoft confirms that XP contains random number generator bug

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page