Nice car, shame about the driving... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 20-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Madness Nice car, shame about the driving...

If the driver of the blue facelift 147 that pulled out of Westridge Road in B13 right in front of me this evening is reading this, may I suggest that you try looking through your side windows at junctions in future and remember that us two wheeled vehicles are traffic too. ******
Fortunately my brakes and emergency stop skills were up to job so matey-boy could continue his journey oblivious to our near miss.
All in a day's riding for a cycle commuter, but I expect better from an Alfa driver
Think Bike!
Simon_S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rayq81

Re: Nice car, shame about the driving...

Sorry mate i never saw you

Rayq81

No it was not me some people just cant drive mate....is that thomas the tank engines mate diesel in your avatar ??

AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_S View Post
All in a day's riding for a cycle commuter
Think Bike!
Simon_S
personally from a long term cyclist, and motorcyclist point of view, unfortunatly i have to say....
some of my fellow 2 wheeled riders really don't help themselves!
Iam NOT deffending anybody, but this subject REALLY ****'s me off!
"Think Bike" ???? clean up your act and we might! that is dirrectly aimed at pedal cyclists!
Oh, and for information purposes, i,ve ridden pushbikes since i was a toldler, held a FULL m/cycle liscence for 10 years now with over 40k miles under my belt, and a car for just over 3!

Rant over :shame:
emgee

I knew Simon S's avatar was a class 50 just by looking.

Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
I knew Simon S's avatar was a class 50 just by looking.
.................................................. ....

emgee

Sorry, I felt a need to confess.

Anyway, what was Simon doing on the road? Should have been hurtling down the pavement.

Last edited by emgee; 21-11-07 at 08:39.

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaspence View Post
personally from a long term cyclist, and motorcyclist point of view, unfortunatly i have to say....
some of my fellow 2 wheeled riders really don't help themselves!
Iam NOT deffending anybody, but this subject REALLY ****'s me off!
"Think Bike" ???? clean up your act and we might! that is dirrectly aimed at pedal cyclists!
Oh, and for information purposes, i,ve ridden pushbikes since i was a toldler, held a FULL m/cycle liscence for 10 years now with over 40k miles under my belt, and a car for just over 3!

Rant over :shame:
By all means, slag off bad habits by idiots on bikes, because yes, idiots drive cars, ride bikes and motorcycles and they jaywalk, too!
But make responsible driving, considerate of those on bikes 'conditional on cyclists as a whole' riding correctly? Maybe that's not what you meant, but it's what you said.
I could reel off how many years I've been driving on 4 wheels and riding on two, but it's not that meaningful (and anyway, I'd beat you by a country mile ). But I can tell you this: 9/10 accidents involving (push)bikes and cars are the fault of the driver. Maybe that is a statistic that will put something like this in true perspective.

AO Platinum Member

To be honest with you though, with the dark evenings and bad weather it can be easy to miss a cyclist/motor bike. We all need to pay a bit more attention to the road, and also drive more defensively too, whether or not we are on 2 or 4 wheels...
VO2Max

Indeed Gary. Cyclists gotta wear hi-vis vests and have LED lights which emit a piercing light and make batteries last for ages. Don't do stuff that other road users don't expect (like going through red lights!) And motorists gotta THINK BIKE!

emgee

Lots of bikes only have a light on the back. Overtook one at about 5 am a week or 2 back, and when I looked in the mirror, he'd effectively disappeared.

VO2Max

That's just not good enough. That guy will be the 1st to complain when a car pulls out of a side-turning in front of him too of course . Lights are so cheap and reliable these days, there really is no excuse for not using them.

AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

My sister's boyfriend had a Daytona 675, it was gorgeous. He's just sold it after losing his license for doing 140 though.
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

There are numpty push-bike riders, car drivers and motorcycle riders and its frightening how stupid some of these can be

There is a lack of responsibility placed on cyclists, like no insurance, no tax, no licence, but their actions can and do injure/kill people just like cars and motorbikes.

How many of them don't use lights (or adequate lights), hi-viz wear, break road laws etc?? The answer is a high proportion, but its always the motorists fault

I knew a guy that went to prison for 18mths because of a cyclists' own stupidity that resulted in the cyclist's death. To long and intricate a story to relay, but suffice to say that the conviction was eventually quashed but not before the guy had done his time for the cyclists' own stupidity. A living nightmare for him and his young family because some clown on a push-bike thought he had the right to be on the road doing what he wanted, when he wanted

By all means drive carefully and considerately towards all road users, but many cyclists need to take a good hard look at themselves, and their safety, and realise they are a road user like all the road users, but they don't have any more rights than any other road user.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
True Alfisti never question why

We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? Lee Iacocca
emgee

And cyclists appear to get away with stunts that car drivers go down for...

Cyclist spared jail over fatal crash | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

Rayq81

Thumbs Up Re: Nice car, shame about the driving...

Quote:

Emgee how many times....im not reading the Guardian actually good article

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcosseOz View Post
There is a lack of responsibility placed on cyclists, like no insurance, no tax, no licence, but their actions can and do injure/kill people just like cars and motorbikes.

How many of them don't use lights (or adequate lights), hi-viz wear, break road laws etc?? The answer is a high proportion, but its always the motorists fault

I knew a guy that went to prison for 18mths because of a cyclists' own stupidity that resulted in the cyclist's death. To long and intricate a story to relay, but suffice to say that the conviction was eventually quashed but not before the guy had done his time for the cyclists' own stupidity. A living nightmare for him and his young family because some clown on a push-bike thought he had the right to be on the road doing what he wanted, when he wanted

By all means drive carefully and considerately towards all road users, but many cyclists need to take a good hard look at themselves, and their safety, and realise they are a road user like all the road users, but they don't have any more rights than any other road user.
I couldn't agree more with your sentiments re: cyclists acting responsibly and indeed, having insurance, I have often stated here before that I feel anyone over 17 and on a bike should take out insurance.
But I can and will restate the official figures, 9/10 accidents involving cars and bikes are the motorist's fault.

In all seriousness, I would like to know the details of your story involving the guy you know and the cyclist, if you have time?

emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
Emgee how many times....im not reading the Guardian
It's the same principle as rhythmic reading - perhaps best just to risk the one eye.

VO2Max

Quote:

You're quite right, the guy on the bike was stupid and should have received a custodial sentence for that. But you're being unfair when you say that cyclists get away with more than motorists. I've cycled for many years and ridden 100,000's miles and I can tell you, there have been many horror stories where blameless cyclists have been maimed and killed and the perpetrator (driver) has gone free, much to the disgust of the families.
If you're p*ssed off at the attitude of a lot of people on bikes, going through red lights and the rest, I am too, probably more than you, and I bloody well tell them so when I see them acting like ********s! The 'lycra lout' will always receive more coverage than joe average driver who 'overcooked' it or who 'unfortunately took it too far while having fun on a country lane'.

(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 21-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire

Quote:
Lots of bikes only have a light on the back. Overtook one at about 5 am a week or 2 back, and when I looked in the mirror, he'd effectively disappeared.
Not me though, my ride includes a stretch of canal towpath so I have twin 10W headlights to see where I'm going as well as be seen. I switch one off on the road so that I'm not mistaken for a car a long way away! I agree that many cyclists are idiots - riding on the pavements, no lights, dark clothing - but evolutionary forces should weed them out. All road users, even pedestrians, need to take responsibility for their actions.
Yes, my avatar is a class 50, I think Diseasel in Thomas is a 28!
And the 675 is great, thanks to badgers_nadgers for the reminder to clear the max speed in my trip computer
Cheers,
Simon_S

"Diesel - Green Fuel of the Future" - Lucas Diesel Systems slogan circa 1992
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcosseOz View Post
There are numpty push-bike riders, car drivers and motorcycle riders and its frightening how stupid some of these can be

thats what i was trying to say but it didn't come out right

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page