Pulled by PLOD today - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

vantastic

Pulled by PLOD today

Maybe because his T5 could not get past me

So I went to the NW meet (see Image lounge for meercat meet) then me and Dxe left to head home up the M6....... I notice 3 tripods on top of a bridge so slow down as you do (not that we was pushing it anyway) a mile later we pass a T5 jam sandwich (show's my age) there more lemon curd now........ so we slow again! then plod pulls out and pulls in between me a Dxe........10 seconds later it's blue light time pull over

Nice Police man (on his own) come's up and open's my near side door
"afternoon sir is this your car"
yes it is
"do you have any documents on you to prove that"
no
"please turn it off and join me in my car"

so I do.........

"your car is not insured and if you cant prove it is I will take it away"

I just laughed and said "yer right" he got abit ........ I told him the plate's had been changed a few months ago so maybe the PNC was not reading correct.........anyway 20 Mins later he is starting to write tickets and stuff and trying to reach my insurance company..............gets told Im insured and PNC not been updated but he was nice and said sorry which is good so my rant is not at him but the system!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Re: Pulled by PLOD today

At least it looks like they are doing something to crack down on uninsured drivers which is a good thing
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

this month, I renewed my tax disc. In a rare moment of efficiency, I got all my docs together and I noticed that on my insurance certificate, the reg number was wrong (it was R**; should be S**).

I had already taxed and MOT'd the car once with the wrong number plate prior to recognising the error. How can it be that with all these systems (log book, tax, insurance, MOT) don't all talk? Why didn't one of them flag up the plate discrepency?

I'm chilled about this (now got a new insurance certificate with the right number plate), but had the Police stopped me, their system would have shown my number plate up - and thus my car - as uninsured, and all the resulting palaver that goes with it, with me arguing with the Police that I know it's insured.

Automated systems and processes. Not good.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
happy man

Like you say mate only doing his job but if we have to rely on automated systems they could at least keep em bang up to date

Hope it didn't spoil the day Nice to see Mrs V liked the meerkat you smuggled out under your coat

Rayq81

Police training = 1 week catching criminals and 9 weeks on the road traffic act

vantastic

I uphold the law, I dont mind being stopped as it show's something is being done, what I dont like is the system that stopped me was not upto date there for wasted my time and an officer who could have been on the 4 call's that came on his radio while i was sat in his car!

Nev

Just wait till you have to
carry ID "smart" cards....

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

just doing their job i suppose, but if they're going to start relying on automated systems they should make sure they're at least up to date what a waste of their and your time.
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
just doing their job i suppose, but if they're going to start relying on automated systems they should make sure they're at least up to date what a waste of their and your time.
What he said.
AlfaLincs

I suppose we should all now consider carrying photo copies of all our documentation as Vantastic was only released as they were able to confirm it with the insurance co. What if they couldn't, or it was out of hours or they got hold of a numskull at the insurance co, or the ins.co computer was down.

Any of these could have turned the whole thing into a nightmare..car confiscated..make your own way home..trip back with documents, car in pound..possibly fees. And all because you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Don't get me wrong I hate and despise uninsured drivers as much as the next guy.

It could happen to any of us, no matter how law abiding. I shudder to think of the times in the past when I have only just got the car retaxed on time..or even a few days late. Thats not good enough now.

AlfaLincs

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Having had to wait three hours for a response to a 999 call.... which was miraculously answered... after I had phoned again.....

I have absolutely no faith in the Police....

Typical that they have the time to waste on something as trivial as this
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

A couple of years ago I had my insurance through Liverpool Victoria. They issued a copy of your insurance certificate on a credit card to keep in your wallet for such occasions...

Which was nice.
Nev

You have to carry all your (original)
documentation here. And have an
insurance disc on the car.
And carry ID and your drivers licence
as the licence is not considered ID.

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

Was u in the 75.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire

Just try having a trade policy....insured to drive anything "in your care or custody for motor trade purposes, for Social domestic and pleasure, and by the policyholder in connection with his business" - great, eh?

But in reality it means that to fully comply with the Motor Insurance Database I have to notify my insurers every time I drive a different vehicle....or risk getting stopped. Yes, I do now carry around a copy of my insurance certificate, although some bobbies want to see the original..... A royal PITA.....

And I have been stopped in the past for having an untaxed vehicle - the copper was fairly P155ed off when I pointed out the disc in my windscreen that had been issued 3 weeks earlier.......muttered something about "b8888y computers!"

Don't ever imagine that we have joined-up government

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 cloverleaf

Like HM said hope it didn't spoil your day yesterday and at lest you kept him bissy and off the lovely quiet B road I found on my way home
vantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin dack View Post
Was u in the 75.
Yes I was in the 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian145 View Post
Like HM said hope it didn't spoil your day yesterday and at lest you kept him bissy and off the lovely quiet B road I found on my way home
did not spoil my day apart from a 147 passing me (dxe) and getting home first and putting pics up before me glad you had a plod free B road

AO Platinum Member

Saw some TV programme the other night - some woman in an A series Mercedes in Liverpool got pulled for having no insurance, couldn[t remember her insurance companies name (her husband had arranged it), and so the car got towed (it later transpired she was insured).

Some good samaritan stopped to give her a lift, only to be pulled by the police for the same offence. This time it turned out that not only did the good samaritan have no insurance, she only had a provisional license and had been banned a few months ago for the same offence!!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

I got pulled once like that in my cherished Thema, after her winter layup.: Reckon it had not cleared DVLC, on the re-tax or summat? But the two traffic guys had a good look at her, and said, " Nice machine, Sir, drive carefully." In the sixties, regular 'pulling' for me and my Inter' Norton, with it' Brooklands Can, reverse megaphone silencer?with it's chicken wire baffles. Then in the seventies, with my 'customised' motors, often stopped and inspected by SD1 Rovers traffic, and checked out under the Constructions and Use act, as it was then. You have never had it so good, Smile!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 cloverleaf

did not spoil my day apart from a 147 passing me (dxe) and getting home first and putting pics up before me glad you had a plod free B road [/QUOTE]

Is this a case of its not the size its how you use it
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
this month, I renewed my tax disc. In a rare moment of efficiency, I got all my docs together and I noticed that on my insurance certificate, the reg number was wrong (it was R**; should be S**).

I had already taxed and MOT'd the car once with the wrong number plate prior to recognising the error. How can it be that with all these systems (log book, tax, insurance, MOT) don't all talk? Why didn't one of them flag up the plate discrepency?

I'm chilled about this (now got a new insurance certificate with the right number plate), but had the Police stopped me, their system would have shown my number plate up - and thus my car - as uninsured, and all the resulting palaver that goes with it, with me arguing with the Police that I know it's insured.

Automated systems and processes. Not good.

g
That reminds me, I still need to sort out my cars V5. It was an import from Germany, and on the first MOT it was found that the chassis number had been misread by one number.

So much for all this computerised security making it harder to fiddle things, what did they do? They added my car to system manually, no checks or anything deeper. Just said contact DVLA, which I erm forgot until now... two years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaGJ View Post
Having had to wait three hours for a response to a 999 call.... which was miraculously answered... after I had phoned again.....

I have absolutely no faith in the Police....

Typical that they have the time to waste on something as trivial as this
-- Supose you would not mind being hit by a car with no insurance ! - it is not a waste of time and it works - we get loads off the road every day - yes somtimes the insurance companys are slow to update but 99.9 of the time it is correct
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Well said that man.: Unenviable front line you have to contend with in this day and age, and as far as our area goes, they do a great job, IMO.:
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

I've been pulled twice because of a computer error, but true to their word I have not been pulled in the last 6 months. Birmingham is the uninsured car capital of England so I am glad they are doing something about it, if the odd hiccup happens, just accept it with good grace.
Plod is only trying to do his bit, after all most low-lifes do not insure/tax/MOT/pay for fuel etc etc so I'm all for clearing the streets and having them strung up high.
Spacecadet

Several years ago, about 1996 ish) I worked night shifts, I did 9am, to 5 am. I car shared with 3 other lads at the place I worked, all of us had battered, old, relatively high performance cars for our ages

I drove a very battered Ford Onion 1600i Ghia which probably pulled about 110-115hp. A pretty fruity little number. Over four nights in one week, at about 5.15am we got pulled by the same copper, at the same point because it looked dodgy to have 4 large lads in a quick car.

By the Thursday he was very miffed. Fourth car in a week, same crew inside it. He did at least see the funny side. Looked at the tax disc, kicked the tyres, giggled and walked off!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page