Persecuting the motorist..again - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

AlfaLincs

Persecuting the motorist..again

One of my younger colleagues is going to court next week to answer a summons. What happened is as follows.

Driving into Grantham he got confused by road markings and ended up in the wrong lane at a junction. He indicated and when the lights changed he changed lane to go the way he intended. He was pulled up by a following police car who said "You were in the wrong lane and pulled across traffic. You can either accept three points and a sixty pound penalty, or you can go on a speed awareness course or you can be summonsed" Our man said "Well I wasn't speeding and I indicated I was changing lane and the traffic let me in, I've done nothing wrong so I'm not accepting any penalty" and they part.

A couple of weeks later he gets a summons for "Driving without due care and attention, breaking the speed limit and passing a light at red"

He is going to court to argue that he is being stitched up, and I told him to write a very strongly worded letter to the chief constable as well regardless of the outcome in court..where frankly I think he will be fried alive.

Thats the modern world of motoring for you.

AlfaLincs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Re: Persecuting the motorist..again

That sounds most unfair
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
One of my younger colleagues is going to court next week to answer a summons. What happened is as follows.

Driving into Grantham he got confused by road markings and ended up in the wrong lane at a junction. He indicated and when the lights changed he changed lane to go the way he intended. He was pulled up by a following police car who said "You were in the wrong lane and pulled across traffic. You can either accept three points and a sixty pound penalty, or you can go on a speed awareness course or you can be summonsed" Our man said "Well I wasn't speeding and I indicated I was changing lane and the traffic let me in, I've done nothing wrong so I'm not accepting any penalty" and they part.

A couple of weeks later he gets a summons for "Driving without due care and attention, breaking the speed limit and passing a light at red"

He is going to court to argue that he is being stitched up, and I told him to write a very strongly worded letter to the chief constable as well regardless of the outcome in court..where frankly I think he will be fried alive.

Thats the modern world of motoring for you.

AlfaLincs
Thats an absolute disgrace ! And they are a disgrace to the uniform, they are B------S
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Not good

Dont hold out much hope for him in the court either.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Jaguar XF3.0DS

Without defending the B******s I suspect the decision and prosecution rests on the manner in which the manoevure was carried out i.e. 'nice, sensible, I'll wait till the road is clear and then reposition myself' or 'if I floor it now I can get to the junction I want before they've moved'.

Presumably there's some video evidence in which case it should be an open and shut case
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Typical lets pick on the motorist
AlfaLincs

I think its got more to do with quotas personally.Officers are under pressure to 'produce', and he is a soft target. No mention was made at the scene of passing a red light, neither was he accused of breaking the speed limit. If there is video evidence well thats another thing altogether, but I thought they were supposed to tell him if they had video evidence under the disclosure rules.

AlfaLincs

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

On the surface it appears outrageous.

However we have only heard one side of it third hand. Like most of us it is likely that the person this happened to only told the facts that were convenient to his cause. As has been said did he pull away too soon (red light) and too fast? Was his "mistake" to go down an empty lane and intend to cut into the right one at the last minute to save time? What was his attitude when stopped?

I don't know the answer to any of the above and it may have happened just as originally described but, as I say, there are always two sides.

Paul.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Not surprised 'Lincs. My last fine and points deduction here in Japan was to have changed lane (a yellow marked lane) whilst waiting at a red light. Fair enough. I did that as I wanted to change direction. Should have been penalised.

The fact that I did that when there was no car in front, next or behind me (I was alone) and at a speed of 2mph, whilst waiting for the red light to turn green (ie. without impeding any traffic) didn't matter at all

Ultimately, they can always use the letter of the law to nab you, and yes, they certainly have quotes and budgets to meet.

And then the people who kill pedestrians, whilst driving witout license or insurance, get a gentle slap on the hand.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.

1934 - 1938 - 1982 - 2006
AlfaLincs

If he felt he was guilty of anything he'd have gone on the speed awareness course don't you think..no points on License. You have to pretty incenced and sure you have done nothing wrong to turn that one down I would suggest. He's not completely stupid.

Alfalincs

Nev

If a cop decides to stitch you up, you're screwed.
(Believe me, I know.)

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Wrong lane? You're committed, your mistake, follow it through and address that mistake when you are able. Inconvenient, but if you 'bulldoze' in the law will, and does pounce, if you are observed.:

We've all done it, and got away with it, until that occasion when you are 'nabbed':
emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
You can either accept three points and a sixty pound penalty, or you can go on a speed awareness course or you can be summonsed
AlfaLincs
So he could have agreed to go on a little course and it would all have gone away?

I'm sure he feels his little stand is well worth it.

All together now...I fought the law and the law......

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

What happened to discretion

I got muddled going to Croydon on Wednesday. There is a new bypass that's not on the SATNAV. I ended up driving like Maureen off driving school for a few hundred yards at the junction that takes to either to central London or Croydon

The point is, even experienced drivers can make an error when confused and discretion on the part of the law is a must!
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
discretion on the part of the law is a must!
Afraid not SR

I am sure we can all tell a tale or two or why not as well, I know I can
emgee

Being offered three options after a traffic offence (even three separate ones in this particular case) sounds like quite reasonable discretion on the part of the copper to me.

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
Being offered three options after a traffic offence (even three separate ones in this particular case) sounds like quite reasonable discretion on the part of the copper to me.
Fair point but what SR probably meant is discretion as to whether to impose a penalty at all.
AO Silver Member

What happened to the old saying.
Rules are for the guidance of the wise,
And adherence of fools?
No doubt , life could be a little better if this were to be applied more often by those with the power, I`m embracing alot of gov;depts here.
John the ludite.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Fair point but what SR probably meant is discretion as to whether to impose a penalty at all.
Exactly
Dibby

That's harsh of the police to contemplate 3 points and sixty squid, but he was in the wrong lane, he indicated and pulled across the traffic by the sound of it.

If that had been me, I'd have gone down the wrong turning, found somewhere to turn round and had another go at the junction in the right lane. It's one of my pet hates when people sit there at roundabouts and junctions after realising they've get it wrong waiting for someone to let them in whilst holding up everyone else for their mistake. In a busy city with motorbike couriers and cyclists everywhere those manouvres can be pretty dangerous.

emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpat View Post
Exactly
"Driving without due care and attention, breaking the speed limit and passing a light at red."

Come on, it's commonplace to get no more than a bllocking for a minor transgression. I'm sure the copper involved in this case considered all his options. For the life of me, I can't see why they should include letting this guy off. I'd say he was lucky to get the choices he did.

Nev

Funny how these rules differ from country to country.

UK: Stay in lane.
US: Don't cross more than one lane at a time.
FRANCE: What frikkin road markings!?!

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
"Driving without due care and attention, breaking the speed limit and passing a light at red."

Come on, it's commonplace to get no more than a bllocking for a minor transgression. I'm sure the copper involved in this case considered all his options. For the life of me, I can't see why they should include letting this guy off. I'd say he was lucky to get the choices he did.
According to the OP, the driver didn't actually break the speed limit or go through a red light
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
We've all done it, and got away with it, until that occasion when you are 'nabbed':
Quite - far more succinct than my sad effort.

Paul.
emgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave View Post
According to the OP, the driver didn't actually break the speed limit or go through a red light
So, one says he didn't and one (the one with the hat with the badge on) says he did.

Of course I wasn't there. I guess it's up to the court as to who they believe. Certainly the copper said he observed three reasonably important offences. And he still apparently gave him a chance to get off with next to nothing.

Still, hardly seems to add up to persecution, I'd say.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page