Loud plummy parents showing off in public. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

19Likes
  • 5 Post By PaulR
  • 2 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By PaulR
  • 2 Post By Verbout
  • 1 Post By keithyboy
  • 4 Post By FredDibnah
  • 3 Post By Paddy OPlastic
  • 1 Post By alfabeat

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 20-02-16 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Loud plummy parents showing off in public.

We went to the see the Cutty Sark in Greenwich today - hadn't seen it since the restoration (the ship not the historical period, even I am not that old) - well worth it.

Afterwards we went to the Pepys exhibition at the National Maritime Museum and herein lies the basis for my rant.

A number of parents take their 4-6 year olds with them. Nothing wrong with that I say - until they decide to make the visit a "valuable educational experience".

One such pair were taking 5 year old Emily around and they would stop in front of every exhibit whilst pater would loudly give a detailed explanation whilst poor Emily (polite as befits her profoundly middle class upbringing) pretends to listen through open ears but with giveaway glazed eyes. Pater was in fact performing - speaking very loudly in best plummy voice and it was obviously aimed at those surrounding him whilst he proved what a devastatingly good father he is.

This next bit is true and I will quote verbatim. They came to a picture of Tangier being bombarded by the British Navy.

Pater - See the walls Emily? That is called a citadel.

Emily (she had finally cracked) - When do we get out of here?

I could have cheered - Good on you Emily I say.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Highlands
Garage
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I like Emily.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
We take our children to galleries and they seem to enjoy them as there's no pressure . This week we wandered round Rome for the week and our nine year old really wanted to go to the Colliseum and the Forum as did our daughter but he didn't enjoy the shops as much Yesterday afternoon!
PaulR and alfaoxon like this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 20-02-16 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
We take our children to galleries and they seem to enjoy them as there's no pressure . This week we wandered round Rome for the week and our nine year old really wanted to go to the Colliseum and the Forum as did our daughter but he didn't enjoy the shops as much Yesterday afternoon!
Don't get me wrong - I took my children and now take my grandchildren to museums and galleries. As long as they enjoy then it is a wonderful thing.
I just don't believe in making it a boring lecture tour whilst appearing to others as an insufferably pompous git.
duemila likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
I live across the road from a kids play park and today was typical, I saw 28 Adults and 8 ,kids in the play park at one time. When I was a kid in the very same play park, my mum was busy at home doing housework and my dad was busy at work. We were busy being kids without adult interference ......... not today ....sadly
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Sunday mornings in our local park and play area is the same. When we take the grandson it's full of yummy mummies, all clutching a paper cup of Starbucks coffee and a croissant, stood in small groups talking over each other and ignoring their children.
EauRouge and shiny boy like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Taking your kids to museums and galleries is important and I remain grateful to Mr Blair for making it free and therefore accessible in many cases (whatever his other sins might be). However, it should be an opportunity for them to learn rather than for me to be an arse.
Alfamack likes this.
AO Platinum Member

We paid twenty something quid to go to see MC Escher at Dulwich and the same for the Bicycle exhibit at the Design Museum. Some stuff is free.
AO Silver Member

Hilarious!
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Nice rant Paul....gave me a little smile on a grey Sunday morning
AO Silver Member

I'd send my footman out and give them a stern ticking orf! Love a museum and gallery but not a huge fan of the red trouser brigade...hence why I moved to the countryside.. No neighbours.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Excellent observation.

We took our 3 to Windsor Castle last summer when we were in the UK. I caved in to the cost and purchased all 3 of them the portable headset for the tour. I did it because my oldest boy actually wanted to listen to it, and the two younger girls thought they looked fun. I just wanted a quiet life.

We walked around the castle with our 3 kids all earphoned up and got several approving nods from the pompous parents who clearly approved of us educating our kids from such a young age.

They failed to stick closely enough to us to actually see that the youngest didn't have hers switched on, the middle one thought it was a phone and spent her time trying to engage it in conversation, and the oldest- while looking engaged and nodding - turned out to having had his set to French Language the entire time so had no idea what was going on.

We were a credit to the nation.....
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Quite often take the kids to museums, but let them decide what to see! Whethers its the natural history or the science. If we want really cultural stuff, we split up and offer the kids the chance to go and see it.

Best place we've been, Glasgow with Kelvingrove and the Science Centre. Going to the Natural History museum at Easter with the boy to see the bones!
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

My boy often complains that I turn everything into a lesson. I tell him to put his hand up first.
PaulR, jurdy1 and TheGrimJeeper like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
It's usually because Mummy & Daddy haven't seen the little darlings all week, so feel they have to make up for it at the weekend with over the top parenting skills.

We limit our kids education to castles, so they can run wild, shouting, pretending to kill each other.
EauRouge likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page