Roads in the UK - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Nev

Roads in the UK

Look guys, sorry for this one, I know I take
the p!ss a lot about things back in the UK,
but this has to be said.

I spent a couple of hours driving around
all the old backroad around where I grew-up.
Just your normal countryside A & B roads.

WTF is going on!?
After ~12 years this is the first time I've driven
around here in my own car.
The roads are ****ing shocking!

I've driven in 3rd world banana republics with
better maintained roads!!

I feel for you all. (Esp any Gloucestershire residents!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

Re: Roads in the UK

Your not wrong Nev. Compared to the French country Road system ours is a shambles. That said, for some reason our Urban roads seem to be better than the French ones, some of the Roads we encountered in the Villages around Provence were appaling and don't get me started on the French signage systems

One thing UK does do well is road signs

Most of the UK car magazines will only really comment on the way a Car drives when they have tried it on UK roads and it's easy to see why, it's not just the potholes and roadwork scars, but the type of Tarmac we use and our Cambering principles which are vastly differant to the continental road network.

Mind you, if you think ours are bad, try Irelands road system
AO Platinum Member

County: Bunkerton

We know.

But what are we supposed to do about it...
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch View Post
One thing UK does do well is road signs
...except in Yorkshire which is generally cack.

Funny but there is always more money to paint pointless red boxes on the roads for bus stops, build traffic humps but not to fill holes and for the ubiquitous Gatso/Truvelo cameras.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

I agree, when we went to France last year I couldn't believe how good the roads were, even the back roads connecting little farms together were near perfect.

Granted I only drove down from Calais to Tours via Le Mans then over to Descartes but they were VERY good. Really show's up our crappy roads

We navigated there using mostly signs we hardly had to look at a map. Same when we went to La Plagne in the winter.

See I always said France had the best country, we should steal it while their not looking
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

As a Gloucester resident I know what you mean. We have some very good bits of recent road surface, but a lot of the old stuff is in a bad state. the occasional freeze up gets under the patches and loose surfaces. My GT sometimes feels a bit hard for these roads. Next time try the A46 from Dunkirk to the next traffic lights before Nailsworth, about 7 miles. Thats the best bit I can find.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

thats why we pay 205 large ones A YEAR to keep our roads maintained...NOT
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

Try living in Lincolnshire.

Yje you get stupid farmers leaving wet mud everywere
VO2Max

What annoys me about country roads here is that the surface can be absolutely appalling and falling apart, yet they will 'dress' the road by spraying wet tar all over it and then dropping 15 tons of granite chippings down. Wrecks your paintwork, makes it hazardous on 2 wheels, and then after one winter you're back to exactly where you were again!
Whatever happened to fixing the potholes and resurfacing properly?

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Yup the roads here are sh1te in general and as Gavin said covered in mud in rural farming areas
(I thought there was some legislation introduced to get farmers to install wheel washes to stop that happening BTW )
Nev... if you think the roads are bad in Gloucestershire... just wait til you get to Acton and Park Royal near AD mate !!

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

On my drive to work the roads are pretty bad. Luckily I usually remember where the pot holes are so I can drive around them.

When I was out in the Philippines the roads there were better..
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
What annoys me about country roads here is that the surface can be absolutely appalling and falling apart, yet they will 'dress' the road by spraying wet tar all over it and then dropping 15 tons of granite chippings down. Wrecks your paintwork, makes it hazardous on 2 wheels, and then after one winter you're back to exactly where you were again!
Whatever happened to fixing the potholes and resurfacing properly?
i echo this. in the summer, warning signs appeared that said one of our worst roads was about to be resurfaced. And that's precisely what they did; they added a different coloured grit atop of the original road. did they smooth the rough road to prevent skidding? nope. did they reduce the undulations on the cambers to stop your car kangarooing along mid bend? nope. they closed the road for a week and, literally, chucked a few new stones on it. Stones that we, the motorist, had to bed in, at the expense of our paintwork. Have they painted on the road markings? nope. we have to guess.

if this isn't - and pleases pardon my French - the shi55iest and laziest road improvement ever, then i don't know what is.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
AO Member

tell you what guys ive only seriously discovered how bad our roads are after buying my GT, which feels all the potholes, road humps etc.... i cring when approaching a pothole at 40=mph where its too late to move out of the way of the thing....its true if you drive over the continent you appriciate how gr8 their roads are compared to our dirttracks!! as for sleeping policemen...thats another debate!!
AlfaLincs

Hang on a darn cotton pickin minute....Which country traditionally builds cars with big long travel bouncy suspensions or even air suspension to soak up the bumpiness of their roads. Begins with F and they eat croissants and drink wine. They also have lots of toll motorways too.

Though I have to agree ours are pretty awful now, but then Alfa suspension are not best renowned for handling bumps..never have been..but I understand the 159 is a massive improvement in this regard.

AlfaLincs

VO2Max

In my (recent) experience, France has better maintained roads than us. This wasn't true before and after the 2nd WW (when the traditional bouncy suspension was developed and widespread in France) but it is now! Same old story as with our health, education and rail systems, decades of underfunding coming home to roost, big time.

Too right Nev, and I have a theory about how it has arisen - certainly round here.

You see the local authority always complain they don't have enough money for road improvements but feel compelled to go around looking for roads in excellent condition and then put speed bumps on them.

But because they're short of dosh for material they simply dig potholes wherever they feel like and create speed bumps with the material!!

And yeah, a GT with 18" sure let's you know whre they are!
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin dack View Post

I have to disagree with that. Yes it's annoying, but if you live in a rural area you've got to expect that. They're only making a living and they were there before you.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
they will 'dress' the road by spraying wet tar all over it and then dropping 15 tons of granite chippings down. Wrecks your paintwork, makes it hazardous on 2 wheels,
Too right. And the sunken manhole covers etc get more sunken each time they do that as another 1" is added to the height of the road above the manhole cover, causing even more spine jarring rides.
They just spent £800,000 in the Weybridge area doing exactly that, and the roads are worse than before a mere 2 months later.

Are the Highways Engineers proud of their handiwork? I would be embarrassed.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
i echo this. in the summer, warning signs appeared that said one of our worst roads was about to be resurfaced. And that's precisely what they did; they added a different coloured grit atop of the original road. did they smooth the rough road to prevent skidding? nope. did they reduce the undulations on the cambers to stop your car kangarooing along mid bend? nope. they closed the road for a week and, literally, chucked a few new stones on it. Stones that we, the motorist, had to bed in, at the expense of our paintwork. Have they painted on the road markings? nope. we have to guess.

if this isn't - and pleases pardon my French - the shi55iest and laziest road improvement ever, then i don't know what is.
g
Same crap was done around me to a road that, save the undulations was very smooth and for the most part great fun to drive. Now it's loud as hell and has 0 grip. Maybe this was cheaper than adding a speed camera.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie155 View Post
Too right. And the sunken manhole covers etc get more sunken each time they do that as another 1" is added to the height of the road above the manhole cover, causing even more spine jarring rides.
T.
sunken iron works of any kind are just plain evil on my suspension

Last edited by boneman147; 12-11-07 at 13:37. Reason: typo
AlfaLincs

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin dack

I have to disagree with that. Yes it's annoying, but if you live in a rural area you've got to expect that. They're only making a living and they were there before you.

Haha..my mate who used to be the copper in Pateley Bridge used to get snooty incomers complaining about the mud on the roads..his reply. "Exactly what did you expect when you moved to a farming area in the countryside..just drive a bit slower and wash your car more often" he was ever the diplomat

AlfaLincs

AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
I feel for you all. (Esp any Gloucestershire residents!)

I've only just seen this thread!!

The roads around here are pretty bad, typical country roads/lanes... recently they did some resurfacing work ( ) and just did random patches here and there it looks awful and there's still alot of potholes and random bumps in the road everywhere!
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

Was out delivering around the Dursley and Sharpness areas today, ot was pretty shocking! Good job I was in the work van and not the bella!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloceMitch View Post

Mind you, if you think ours are bad, try Irelands road system
Sorry Mitch, but when was the last time you drove on the roads in ireland? I commute North to South everyday and without doubt the ROI roads beat the pants off any roads in the North.
cul

Irelands roads are much better than in the UK now.
Come to think of it... I cant think of anywhere worse
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I agree, when I went to Ireland I thought the roads were better than here as well.

Apparently there as a road in a very remote part of Siberia that is (allegely) worse than the average road in britain.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page