Disabled, walk a mile in their shoes......... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

3Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGrimJeeper
  • 1 Post By Dave Brand
  • 1 Post By BuonGiorno

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 25-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Disabled, walk a mile in their shoes.........

You find out how difficult it is for disabled people getting out and about when you become disabled yourself, or are with some one who is, although temporary.

There are more people that will open the door for you, get out of your way, offer help than there are people that won’t. It’s very pleasing.

But, we are in the 7th week of her indoors being in plaster. She is either walking very short distances on crutches or I’m pushing her around in a cheap wheelchair we bought.

Get to the point man, two points actually:

Public houses/restaurants lock their disabled toilets, for reasons one manager could not explain. Wifey sets off to the toilet, a fare trek for a novice disabled person, only to come back saying the toilets are locked. I went over to the manager and was told you have to ask for the key.

I don’t know what disabled people get up to in the toilets that we able bodied don’t that warrants their toilets being locked. The manager had no idea either. It’s policy apparently.

Q….“What policy is that”?

A….”Company policy”?

Q…”No, I mean"……."never mind”

So a disabled person has to do double the journey, when they are less able to do so, to go for a piddle!!!!!

And now the good old car drivers who have no consideration, they abandon their cars in all sorts of places, making it difficult for access for the disabled, they take up the disabled spaces when they are not entitled blah, blah, blah.

I took my wife to work this morning, pulled onto the car park and noticed three disabled and staff car parking spaces available next to the back door. An old bloke in a large Volvo SUV looking through his CD collection was parked across all three bays.

I sounded my horn, politely, no response, sounded it again, he looked up and then back down to his CD’s.

Out of the car, with wifey giving me advice on how to deal with the gentleman.

I knocked on his window and he gently stirred, looked around for the window switch and pressed it, nothing. When he finally opened the window I asked him if he could move so I could park my car. He did without saying a word.

I helped my wife out of the car, glued her to her crutches and opened the door to the premises.

The old bloke found the window switch for his passenger side window and decided to apologise. It was my turn to say nothing.

I will look at disabled people differently now, I was considerate towards them before, but I feel if you walk a mile in some one else shoes you understand their predicament better.

Garry

DISCLAIMER
Apologies for spelling mistakes, bad grammar and misplaced, or even lack of apostrophes.

TSR 2 Test Flight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

EddieGTA

In terms of disabled loos, the reason for locking is a reflection on society at large, but a disabled person can obtain a key and they should work on most loos.

Disabled toilets: What is a Radar key? - BBC News

(Post Link) post #3 of 19 Old 27-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Never heard of a radar key until quite recently, but not all disabled toilets use the radar key system. The one in the restaurant didn't.

I do understand why some establishments have them locked for the reasons mentioned in the article.
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
Never heard of a radar key until quite recently, but not all disabled toilets use the radar key system. The one in the restaurant didn't.

I do understand why some establishments have them locked for the reasons mentioned in the article.
Yeah, I can understand with toilets in say a big shopping centre, but not so much a small establishment like a restaurant. Also not using the radar key system could become more of a problem as more and more local authorities are closing public toilets and relying on local businesses to provide toilet facilities.

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
I am disabled myself and as time goes on I find myself using a wheelchair more and more.
As the councils are cutting the money they put aside for public toilets every time they make amendments to their budgets, I thought it would be a good idea to buy one of them radar keys.
I was surprised at the number of disabled toilets that don't use the radar system, they tend to use their own locks in my area. Infact I remember going to a village on the Devon coast that is quite a tourist attraction, the village consists of a number of small gift shops, small businesses like glass blowers and wood carvers, tea rooms that kind of thing and a very nice manor house. The day I was there was mothers day, so the place was heaving. I went to use the public disabled toilet to find the door was locked, I had my radar key on me, but that was no use as the door was locked, not only with the radar lock, but with an ordinary padlock too. My wheelchair is a light weight sporty type thing, but even that would not go in the mens toilet as the entrance was just too tight. I made my way to the restaurant in the village thinking they might let me use their toilet but they said no, it is for patrons only. I explained about the public ones and I was told they couldn't let me use theirs as it would be against company policy, and if he let me use it he would have to let everyone use it (bit of a jobsworth, but that is the attitude some people have).

People are usually very considerate towards disabled people but we still struggle sometimes, as you say Verbout, walk a mile ......

Mick

if things don't change they will stay as they are.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Aren't disabled bays for Blue Badge holders only?

We can't have non-holders deciding, willy-nilly, that their temporary ailment, however insignificant or severe, allows them take up a blue badge space.

Still the Ovlov driver shouldn't be blocking them.
(Post Link) post #7 of 19 Old 03-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

The Volvo man was blocking the disabled and the staff parking bays.

The disabled bay wasn't designated as a blue badge space, not all disabled bays are. Most rely on people's morals coming into play. That's a

Last edited by Verbout; 03-02-16 at 19:45.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Don't worry.

There'll be plenty more spaces now:

Nearly 14,000 disabled people have mobility cars taken away - BBC News

Gotta love the Nasty Party solution.
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick.p. View Post
... I made my way to the restaurant in the village thinking they might let me use their toilet but they said no, it is for patrons only. I explained about the public ones and I was told they couldn't let me use theirs as it would be against company policy, and if he let me use it he would have to let everyone use it (bit of a jobsworth, but that is the attitude some people have)...
What an utter knob. Repeatedly being punched in the face is too good for some people.
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick.p. View Post
I am disabled myself and as time goes on I find myself using a wheelchair more and more.
As the councils are cutting the money they put aside for public toilets every time they make amendments to their budgets, I thought it would be a good idea to buy one of them radar keys.
I was surprised at the number of disabled toilets that don't use the radar system, they tend to use their own locks in my area. Infact I remember going to a village on the Devon coast that is quite a tourist attraction, the village consists of a number of small gift shops, small businesses like glass blowers and wood carvers, tea rooms that kind of thing and a very nice manor house. The day I was there was mothers day, so the place was heaving. I went to use the public disabled toilet to find the door was locked, I had my radar key on me, but that was no use as the door was locked, not only with the radar lock, but with an ordinary padlock too. My wheelchair is a light weight sporty type thing, but even that would not go in the mens toilet as the entrance was just too tight. I made my way to the restaurant in the village thinking they might let me use their toilet but they said no, it is for patrons only. I explained about the public ones and I was told they couldn't let me use theirs as it would be against company policy, and if he let me use it he would have to let everyone use it (bit of a jobsworth, but that is the attitude some people have).

People are usually very considerate towards disabled people but we still struggle sometimes, as you say Verbout, walk a mile ......

Mick
That's disgusting! I would contact your council as I am sure local business are obligated to provide toilet access, particularly where councils have cut back on facilities.

(Post Link) post #11 of 19 Old 04-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

@Mick.p......Or do a wheelchair protest outside the shop with a placard

The wife has had the pot off her leg today and had her first physio session, all looks good, but quite obviously she cannot walk unaided, she's been in pot for eight weeks and the screws and plates need time to heal. So she's still temporary disabled.

I contacted O2 Academy in Leeds where we are going tonight to ask about access for her. Its a standing gig but she will still be in the wheelchair, we have to walk about 3/4 of a mile from the car park to the venue and she can't do that on her crutchs.

The girl I spoke to was really accommodating and gave us a point of contact at the venue, a reference number to quote and reserved a spot for us on the balcony.

The other end of the spectrum to your issue Mick.

Last edited by Verbout; 04-02-16 at 14:16.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Verbout, I trust you had a good night at the Academy.

I must say, the response and help you recieved from the woman at the Academy is not only very good, but it is the more normal type of response from other people.

The guy I spoke to at the restaurant might just of been having a bad day or maybe they had helped a disabled person before and been taken advantage by them in some way. Not all disabled people are "nice" people. Infact some of them are quite rude (bitter?).

Mick.
(Post Link) post #13 of 19 Old 05-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Utterly excellent night, Huey and the boys were on form.

We were very well looked after by the staff, not fussed over, which I like, just shown to the balcony and given a briefing on evacuation procedures and left to it.

A thank you e-mail is on its way.

Your last paragraph sums up people in general not just disabled.
Unregistered

County: St. Petersburg
Toilets are rather specific area of human thinking.
I have a good sample personally faced with. It is not concerns disabled people in particular but still...
I have filled my car with fuel at filling station.
Next I gone to shop to pay for.
At cash desk lady told me wait a bit. She took the plate ( Sorry, WC are out of operation ) and put on WC door.
I did not pay much attention to it since I did not need use it.
I did understood why she did this later.
Gone outside I notice big tourist bus arrived there.
Funny and sadly...
(Post Link) post #15 of 19 Old 05-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

You're written English is getting really good BG

It's wrong of her go do that, but I partly understand why she did it.
Unregistered

Quote:

It's wrong of her go do that, but I partly understand why she did it.
Thanks.
If you wanna catch Russian spy in GB because of language, watch for tenses sequence.
It is the most problematic rule for Russians. I have being tried to watch for.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Hmmm...
TheGrimJeeper likes this.
(Post Link) post #18 of 19 Old 05-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Hmmm...
Sorry I blame the frigging iPad spillchucker
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Hmmm...
I'm not written... I write myself to improve my written...
TheGrimJeeper likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page