What ever happened to drivers leaving their details? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 01-11-07 Thread Starter

What ever happened to drivers leaving their details?

I've been living in London for several years now, and have owned 2 different cars in the process. As of this week, both have been driven in to and scratched whilst parked outside my flat.

Why oh why do people not stop and have the common decency to leave their details under the wiper, or at least some sort of apologetic note! It's not so much the money I'll have to spend having the latest ding taken out of my pride and joy (Blue 156) that irks me - that's par for the course. What really winds me up is that drivers in town (and I'm looking at delivery drivers here...) seem to have absolutely no regard for other peoples' property, and have no qualms about damaging someone else's car as a result of their bad driving.

It's not too much to ask for these numbnuts to leave just a small note apologising for what they've done. Even if they don't leave any details, the act of apologising means far, far more.

I was brought up to be honest and considerate, and would have no issue whatsoever with leaving my details under the wiper of any car I may inadvertently damage.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just grumpy?What happened to good old-fashioned guilt?

Any ideas how to take this ding out of my o/s rear bumper? It's not on the wing, just the body-coloured bumper bit...

Last edited by barny_156; 01-11-07 at 14:39.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VO2Max

Re: What ever happened to drivers leaving their details?

Part of an all-pervading attitude now sadly. It probably doesn't help that seemingly in all areas of public life (from the govt down), no one seems willing to admit to wrong doing, apologise, fall on their sword or anything else for that matter.

(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 01-11-07 Thread Starter

I'm inclined to agree with you VO2. It certainly seems like there is no sense of responsibility anymore. No-one has the moral fortitude to stand up and admit their mistakes or to take charge. It's obviously far easier to put one's hands over one's ears and eyes and pretend none of it is happening, it's all down to someone else.

I fear that the adage "the buck stops here" may never be applicable again. The buck will never stop, instead it will forever be passed from pillar to post as the world shrugs off it's last vestiges of decency and sense of duty...
AlfaLincs

Its not at all new. Way back in 1979 a bloke (pub landlord) slid into my car on ice/snow in a car park. My office was about 50 yds away and someone came and told me. When I got there he was revving like mad trying to get away..claimed he was not liable..tried to intimidate me cos I was only 24 and he was 45ish and quite big, said as it was a car park it wasn't the highway so it didn't count....All crap of course.

I got £50 cash out of him in the end. My ancient rusty Peugeot 204 was not worth a lot more than that.

I have had people be both honest and dishonest. I was honest when i nudged a VW with a woman in it (and I mean nudged),,then she tried to claim for whiplash....dishonest *******s. I sent a photo of the damage to the car to the insurance co saying she could not possibly get whiplash from such a tiny nudge (size of a thumbnail). Norwich Union said I was 'interfering'..they'd rather pay out than tell them to go and f&ck themselves it would seem.

I saw the whiplash victim digging her garden not long after...

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

All that stuff in life, that the majority aspire to, corrupts the individuals, so they are selfish, and greedy, without an inkling of courtesy or respect for others. We, possibly have not set the correct example, and money being King, over all else, is still, and will always be no doubt, the real evil. Strange how a war cements society toward true values. I suppose we are all in it together then, rich and poor alike. So we smile at one another?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
Its not at all new. Way back in 1979 a bloke (pub landlord) slid into my car on ice/snow in a car park. My office was about 50 yds away and someone came and told me. When I got there he was revving like mad trying to get away..claimed he was not liable..tried to intimidate me cos I was only 24 and he was 45ish and quite big, said as it was a car park it wasn't the highway so it didn't count....All crap of course.

I got £50 cash out of him in the end. My ancient rusty Peugeot 204 was not worth a lot more than that.

I have had people be both honest and dishonest. I was honest when i nudged a VW with a woman in it (and I mean nudged),,then she tried to claim for whiplash....dishonest *******s. I sent a photo of the damage to the car to the insurance co saying she could not possibly get whiplash from such a tiny nudge (size of a thumbnail). Norwich Union said I was 'interfering'..they'd rather pay out than tell them to go and f&ck themselves it would seem.

I saw the whiplash victim digging her garden not long after...

AlfaLincs
The pub landlord was right- the fact that the accident happended in a public car park would have exempted him from any obligation. Did the whiplash victim normally hold the shovel in her teeth ?

I have never found myself in the position of damaging a car and having to leave a note on the windscreen of the damaged car, but if I did it would only be to leave false details. One has to leave something or else you'll get some bloody busybody take your number and leave a note, but if one does it oneself that should keep the busybody at bay. It is advisable to make the details (car reg.number) nearly correct, just in case the busybody comes over and checks them - if they do and the numbers are similar, the busybody will just think that they wrote them down incorrectly. As for the telephone number that you leave, well, any old mobile number will do as long as that, too, is partly incorrect ! The other party will soon get fed up with ringing a wrong/incorrect number. Why do I take this attitude ? Because too many buggers have done it to me over the years !
EddieGTA

It is simple, fear of losing no claims bonus and paying more in insurance.

I had thames water hit my car the other week, I know it was them as my car is parked at home in my allocated space all week while at work, my neighbours wouldn't be stupid enough and their mirror didn't line up anyway. Funny how thames water were working there the last month or so and taking peoples parking spaces without asking.

It didn't do much I just noticed the mirror turned round, and then when I cleaned it a scrath in the wing.

It's a sad case these days that a majority of people do 'NOT' have common decency nor do they have any compulsion of guilt, this country over the last 2 decades has gone through a complete change in attitude to ones fellow humans and neighbours, it has become all about the 'ME' factor..
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve lyden brown View Post
The pub landlord was right- the fact that the accident happended in a public car park would have exempted him from any obligation. Did the whiplash victim normally hold the shovel in her teeth ?

I have never found myself in the position of damaging a car and having to leave a note on the windscreen of the damaged car, but if I did it would only be to leave false details. One has to leave something or else you'll get some bloody busybody take your number and leave a note, but if one does it oneself that should keep the busybody at bay. It is advisable to make the details (car reg.number) nearly correct, just in case the busybody comes over and checks them - if they do and the numbers are similar, the busybody will just think that they wrote them down incorrectly. As for the telephone number that you leave, well, any old mobile number will do as long as that, too, is partly incorrect ! The other party will soon get fed up with ringing a wrong/incorrect number. Why do I take this attitude ? Because too many buggers have done it to me over the years !
I find this sad
If you do something wrong take the correct path and admit it. If we don't, then what good is left in the world, will completely disappear.
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 02-11-07 Thread Starter

It pains me also.
Of course, don't assume I'm some nostalgist, living in the past and dreaming of a bygone era. I'm not, and am proud to be a child of the 80's. However, simple things like due care, consideration, compassion and plain old politeness should be timeless. There is no logical reason for these traits to become redundant, but redundant they are.

Spikey's right...the 'me' factor is the status quo. And as alluded to by V02 above, it's a 'top-down' disease that has pervaded all aspects of our daily lives.

It's strange - I actually wouldn't necessarily mind if someone left false details on my windscreen. I would at least know that they had taken the time to stop and register what they've done, even if they didn't have the conscience to offer remuneration. It's a case of crocodile tears being better than no tears at all. At least the crocodile knows it should be crying...
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve lyden brown View Post

What a socially-responsible attitude! No doubt the next time someone hits one of your awfully expensive cars, you will be on here like a shot complaining about it, because you do like to complain, don't you? It's not even worth trying to explain the error in your logic because you don't give a sh*t. Are you for real? No wonder most level-headed people here have a very low opinion of you .

AlfaLincs

SLB says

"The pub landlord was right- the fact that the accident happended in a public car park would have exempted him from any obligation"

I don't think that is so. Lets say he skidded and ran over your daughter in a public car park. There is no way he would be exempted from liability. The simple fact of my car being inanimate does not alter the principal of liability, and IMHO the location is irrelevant.

On what principle of law would he be exempted from being liable for his actions because it was a car park? A car park is not 'out of bounds' legally. Thats nonsense.

AlfaLincs

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page