Driving in Britain... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

HSTDriver

Driving in Britain...

I had to drive into work this morening because my shift started too early to catch a train.
I finished at just afer 1500, and had to brave the traffic from London PAddington to my home in Essex. It's a 33 mile trip. This morning with no traffic about it took me about 50mins.

The journy home took 3 and a quarter hours.

Our town and city roads are inefficiant, overcrowded, and full of the most idiotic drivers in the world.

Cutting people up for no reason, sitting across yellow boxes at junctions, running through red lights, refusing to let people into gaps ahead of them. Using mobiles whilst driving, the list is endless.

I'm not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but I at least try to be a good, thoughtful driver. These people think they're the on;y ones on the road.

Rush hour driving is a complete nightmare, the most frustrating thing about living and working in the south east.

People constantly have a pop at public transport, but IMO (certainly during rush hour) the train is far easier, more relaxing, less stressful, and far, far quicker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Driving in Britain...

I could almost drive to London in that time and I'm up in Glasgow!!! I think I would crack up if I lived down there.
AO Member

People constantly have a pop at public transport, but IMO (certainly during rush hour) the train is far easier, more relaxing, less stressful, and far, far quicker.

And also bloody expensive.
AlfaLincs

I'm one of the few on this forum old enough to remember when we had a fantastic rail network that went almost everywhere..trouble is it was losing millions and it was worn out, but there are times when I think i'd like it back, but we didn't know what to do with it then, and we all want our cars now.

It also took all day to do journeys we do in three or four hours. I do think we should use rail more and subsidise it somehow.

Buses i've never been keen on, but they are a vital link for millions of people who do not have cars. We just have to stop idiots/criminals from making them no go areas.

AlfaLincs

emgee

What we should do is link 12 or so cars together, and just have the engine going in the front one.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee View Post
What we should do is link 12 or so cars together, and just have the engine going in the front one.
Ot maybe just ensure there is a full 4 or 5 people in every car maybe?
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Ot maybe just ensure there is a full 4 or 5 people in every car maybe?
The day that happens I'll happily make my journey to work on a luminous pink pushbike, whilst wearing my birthday suit.......

AO Member

Trains are inflexible, unreliable and way too expensive. Buses aren't much better, the only reason I use them because they're alot cheaper than the train and don't suffer from landslides!

EDIT: and because it cost's £10+ to park in the city everyday
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntomatt View Post
Trains are inflexible, unreliable and way too expensive.
The train company who get me to work have reliability figures of around 98%, the trains I drive every day have reliablity figures of around 95%

Now imagine the mileage covered by the average train, and compare it to a car, and tell me which is more reliable?

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
The train company who get me to work have reliability figures of around 98%, the trains I drive every day have reliablity figures of around 95%

Now imagine the mileage covered by the average train, and compare it to a car, and tell me which is more reliable?
I'm basing my opinion on experience, I don't care how many miles a train has travelled I just wanna get to work on time. I live at the end of a line and (when I used to use the train) there were constant problems along the line. Besides I was comparing it to the bus...not the car. At least if a bus breaks down they can send another one, if a train breaks down they send a bus...if we're lucky.
Nev

Instead of bus lanes and driving on the hard shoulder
they should have car pool lanes.

AO Member

Quote:

That depends on which make of car you're talking about.
AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Instead of bus lanes and driving on the hard shoulder
they should have car pool lanes.
In bristol we have 2+ car sharing lanes, between certain times (usually rush hours), only cars with two or more spersons inside may travel down them. Good idea IMHO.
AO Member

County: Scottish Borders

Not wanting to appear smug.... but I have a 60 mile commute to Edinburgh that at early start times (for 6 or 7.30) takes around 1 hour. a wee bit more at 7.30. Even at peak times (starting at 9) it will only take 1 hour 30 mins. same on the way back

I get narked enough at it - I would explode if I lived in the south east.

I really don't advise moving here though, can't have too many people spoiling it!!!!!!! Hence why no amount of cash could persuade me to work in London.

We have no plan, therefore nothing can go wrong (much)

And i Have finally put piccies of the silver one on!!
AO Member

I think that the active traffic management system as used on the M42 has been proven to be a good idea. I think that peoples concerns are usually based on the good old British attitude, that trying something different should be treated with mistrust, and therefore a big fuss should be made about it. The Germans have had this sort of system for years; and they know all about running an effective transport system.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebabtank View Post
I think that the active traffic management system as used on the M42 has been proven to be a good idea. I think that peoples concerns are usually based on the good old British attitude, that trying something different should be treated with mistrust, and therefore a big fuss should be made about it. The Germans have had this sort of system for years; and they know all about running an effective transport system.
That they do, they also have a much larger budget and do the job right
alfafamily

My 3 mile trip to work regularly takes 25 minutes. When the schools are on holiday it takes less than 10. Thats no criticism of parents taking kids to school, if Britain was a safer place we wouldn't need the safety of our cars. Kids could walk to school, adults could catch trains and buses and get off safely at the other end. As it is now, how many of us would get on a train if it contained just 3 youths wearing hoodies, not me.

AO Member

I think that the privatisation of our transport systems has'nt helped, as strict budgets can mean a poorer service. Some sort of long term strategy is the way forward, using government cash. I'd happily pay a couple more pence in the pound if it was diverted to upgrading our transport services.
Nev

i get well stressed if my 10 km journey
to or from work takes more than 20 mins.

(Which thankfully isn't often. )

Darren156

I could never work or live in London. I don't see its appeal whatsoever, it looks too hectic for my liking. Everythings more expensive too. Sod that for a game of soldiers! I'll stick with my luvverly babbers over this way!!!

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
I could never work or live in London. I don't see its appeal whatsoever, it looks too hectic for my liking. Everythings more expensive too. Sod that for a game of soldiers! I'll stick with my luvverly babbers over this way!!!
Nice one me babber!! Ow bist?
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Quote:

I am sure the figures you quote are true.

Being naive I thought that 98% and 95% meant that those figures applied to ALL trains run by that company.

NO NO NO - they measure about 10% of the services run on any particular day and extrapolate. 90% could be cancelled but if they were not the ones measured on that day then 98% efficiency would still be achieved.

What a load of nonsense.

Paul.
Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy156 View Post
Nice one me babber!! Ow bist?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Oller Ryer My Luvver?!' = 'Are you okay?'

AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
My 3 mile trip to work regularly takes 25 minutes. When the schools are on holiday it takes less than 10.
My girlfriend used to have the same problem, except it went from 45 minutes in term time to 20 minutes in the holidays.

Quote:
Thats no criticism of parents taking kids to school,
It should be! Why can't they walk or take the bus?

Quote:
if Britain was a safer place we wouldn't need the safety of our cars. Kids could walk to school, adults could catch trains and buses and get off safely at the other end. As it is now, how many of us would get on a train if it contained just 3 youths wearing hoodies, not me.
Don't fall for the newspapers' hype, it's not that bad!
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

As a former competitive cyclist....there was no faster way around London and even out to the burbs in the 80/90s...
Id [email protected] myself if I had to ride on the roads now, as the standard of driving is just skary these days.

My pet hates are

- v slow drivers constantly blocking up the middle and esp overtaking lane when the inside is clear & never checking their mirrors.
- Driving in the wrong lane on roundabouts for their exit
- Driving half in your lane
- Drivers who clearly have never passed a test, drive illegal death traps and couldnt give a **** about UK laws, others and road manners.
- Drivers who cant be arsed to say thanks after you have let them pull out etc

Im far from perfect but I would class myself as a good courteous driver, if a bit on the quick but safe side.

To those living up North or overseas with no congestion...I envy you )
Driving in Tenerife was just a joy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page