Not enough ethnic senior police - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

EddieGTA

Not enough ethnic senior police

OK I have to be careful here, I am not racist. But I read today that someone reckoned there was not enough black/ethnic senior level police. So as a result it should be made easier to get promotion and they should be given preference.

Now personally I don't care what colour or what backround a policeman has, but as their job/duty is to ensure public and MY safety I want to know that they got that position through their ability and not just the colour of their skin.

Is it just me or does that just sound ludicrous???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rayq81

Re: Not enough ethnic senior police

Its bloody stupid, its bad enough our police are useless as it is without fast tracking ethnics, where will it end, lets just fast track a takeover of the country that will save us all the slow take over we are facing just now !! Britain is officially [email protected]

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

No, you are correct mate! With the population explosion that's forecast, it's going to be even more important that they are totally competent at policing, in the upper echelons.:
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

One thought here: policing is a very sensitive matter, more so when dealing across different groups (ethnic, religious, whatever). Therefore, I think it's wise to ensure the police force is well equipped to have the right people in the right places.

Having said that, it is tough to swallow for those who are not part of the fast track programme, seeing their colleagues make more money and get promoted (I assume) simply because of that. But that's life.
AO Member

Member car:

156 Veloce

What about Livingston's brainstorm that there aren't enough ethnics driving London black cabs? So what does he do? - say that they don't need to pass "The knowledge" test that everyone else has to, to give them an advantage! Sigh.
Nev

I heard today that the Welsh are starting to discriminate against
English-only speakers and your job and career prospects in the
Welsh public sector are curtailed if you deemed "not Welsh enough".

Terrible.

()

EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
One thought here: policing is a very sensitive matter, more so when dealing across different groups (ethnic, religious, whatever). Therefore, I think it's wise to ensure the police force is well equipped to have the right people in the right places.

Having said that, it is tough to swallow for those who are not part of the fast track programme, seeing their colleagues make more money and get promoted (I assume) simply because of that. But that's life.
I totally agree with that, but if anyone wants to join the police and get to a senior level. They should have to put a degree of effort in, and go through the same rigorous training as anyone else, at the end of the day the decision you are making in that position affect the safety of the general public.

You shouldn't effectively have a job handed to you on the basis of your ethnic backround, that in itself is discrimination. Equal opportunity needs to be that, eqaul. And not biased to any particular group of people.

mudhut

Trouble is that one person's positive discrimination (no matter how well-intentioned) is another's negative discrimination.

There's no way round it: if the police or anybody else want to increase representation from any groups who they feel are currently inadequately so-represented they must improve recruitment and retention and wait while these sections of the staff rise to suitable levels of seniority.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhut View Post
Trouble is that one person's positive discrimination (no matter how well-intentioned) is another's negative discrimination.

There's no way round it: if the police or anybody else want to increase representation from any groups who they feel are currently inadequately so-represented they must improve recruitment and retention and wait while these sections of the staff rise to suitable levels of seniority.
I think that is the only fair thing to do.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
OK I have to be careful here, I am not racist. But I read today that someone reckoned there was not enough black/ethnic senior level police. So as a result it should be made easier to get promotion and they should be given preference.

Now personally I don't care what colour or what backround a policeman has, but as their job/duty is to ensure public and MY safety I want to know that they got that position through their ability and not just the colour of their skin.

Is it just me or does that just sound ludicrous???
I read this in the paper this morning too. it really angered me. I don't believe anyone should be promoted regardless of ability just because they are of a minority.

Granted it is nice to have a multicultural police force, providing their is no discrimination to anyone else.

The guy that made these statements is a fool.
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1
What about Livingston's brainstorm that there aren't enough ethnics driving London black cabs? So what does he do? - say that they don't need to pass "The knowledge" test that everyone else has to, to give them an advantage! Sigh.

Clearly a bad idea but I thought it was motivated by the fact there are too few black cabs?
Nev

Quote:
Clearly a bad idea but I thought it was motivated by the fact there are too few black cabs?
Or that black people have trouble hailing a London
cab. As being black seems to make you invisible to them

Be fair Nev - your natural instinct would be to rob the poor driver at knifepoint

Chris
AO Platinum Member

This little island is likely to be washed away, according to rising global sea-level predictions. So if you live 'atop of Snowdon or Ben Nevis, you should be ok's?: Of course that is if it doesn't sink first, with the sheer weight of numbers? Me, long gone bone meal for the Rhodedendrons at the Crem! Cheers.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd_b View Post
Be fair Nev - your natural instinct would be to rob the poor driver at knifepoint
Or sell him drugs.

(Being of fairer skin, I used to hail cabs
for mates when I was in London. But that was
about 15 years ago, maybe it's all changed... )

AO Platinum Member

Oi! Nev, stop pushin' in the posting queue, will Ya! please?Manners an' all that.
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Or that black people have trouble hailing a London
cab. As being black seems to make you invisible to them
Try being white in Bradford and hailing a cab.......

Dibby

Quote:
Where'd you hear that? Girlie works in the Welsh public sector part of a team that (also) promotes the use of Welsh language and that sounds like complete rubbish. They have to make sure everything produced is translated into Welsh so people who's first language is Welsh don't struggle understanding things.

AO Platinum Member

Wales is alright, was when we kipped' at the TA centre back in the '50's anyway, at Llanberis? was it? Did notice some spoke welsh in the boozers though, so what, invading 'sarf' troopers on an initiative test. Gave us a 'kip' though, those territorials, so no complaints really.:
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Quote:

Terrible.

()
it's always been like that in wales. the local authorities & education system have long been hijacked by nationalists and their insular rubbish views. the school i went to had some shockingly bad teachers who got their jobs purely cos they were welsh nationalist and made all the right noises. non welsh-speaking teachers on the other hand were treated as 2nd class citizens regardless of their teaching ability. the school i went to had maybe 5% of kids who were welsh 1st language yet the whole system seemed set up to be biased toward them, even though every single one of them was also fluent in english and most preferred to speak english anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhut View Post

Nail on head

- Keepin' it moist -
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
Where'd you hear that? Girlie works in the Welsh public sector part of a team that (also) promotes the use of Welsh language and that sounds like complete rubbish. They have to make sure everything produced is translated into Welsh so people who's first language is Welsh don't struggle understanding things.

It was on Radio 4 last night:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/programmes/analysis/default.stm

It's nothing to do with catering for Welsh speakers.
It's a concerted effort to promote Welsh and
save it as a language. Which is fine, so
long as it's all above board and you're not using it
as a method to exclude people.

The programme was quite interesting. Some good insight came
from a Catalonian professor when talking about the difference
between a language and an identity.

In the end, making Wales bi-lingual even with a language
no one else uses (except some Argentinians ) is still a benefit
to the principality in general, as once you've two languages
under you belt as a youngster, it easier to pick up others.
So I'm told.

Last edited by Nev; 26-10-07 at 11:45.

Global Mod Team

What do Argentines have anything to do with Welshies?

Long lost bunch rugby players stranded back in the centuries???
Dibby

I didn't hear the prorgam but I suspect that was opinion and wasn't backed up by solid proof. One or 2 bad eggs doesn't mean "The Welsh" are discriminating against people who don't speak their language. I'm English and have lived in Wales for almost 10 years now and never seen or heard anything like this.

And to be honest, I'm really losing confidence in the BBCs reporting after the stories about the shutdown of a music sharing website a few days ago, I couldn't believe the BBC was capable of such inaccurate journalism but it was as if the report was made up on the spot without any research at all. Got me thinking how many other articles are completely made up ... anyway, heading wildly off topic here.

mudhut

Quote:
What do Argentines have anything to do with Welshies?

Long lost bunch rugby players stranded back in the centuries???

Here BF. Surpised you've never heard of this!

Global Mod Team

Thanks mate, first time I hear it. Very interesting.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page