email Christmas "cards" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

22Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 15-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
email Christmas "cards"

Especially corporate ones. Please. You shouldn't have bothered.

Just stop clogging my inbox with your pathetic, insincere cack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Alas I view all cards in pretty much the same light. I had got to the stage where a box of cards was stashed in a drawer ready for return cards for people who sent/gave you one who you had forgotten. WTF?!?

There are very few cards that are selected with the recipient in mind and in 95% of cases it's not a case of thinking about the person, just following the protocol.

Don't bother on my account.

I sent your card/stamp money to India to buy a cow to prove what a great humanitarian I am - Lovely, but I don't really need to know how altruistic you are.

No 2 on the Git list

Are you folding?

(Post Link) post #3 of 26 Old 15-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

That's another one. "Amber and Callum aren't sending cards this year, but will be making a contribution to our favourite charity instead".

Yeah, right. Charity begins at home?
alfacool likes this.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

I made my own email card this year. I also gave the money I saved (and some) to a charity
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

VW Tiguan smoker

I didn't send any cards/junk mail this year and the money I saved will be spent down the pub!
duemila and Scortho like this.
AO Platinum Member

AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by punt14 View Post
I didn't send any cards/junk mail this year and the money I saved will be spent down the pub!
Me neither, your round!
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
WHAT? Not even a card to family & close friends? You miserable bunch of tight wad, grumpy old gits!! They're only 2 or 3 quid each and a stamp is only 60p...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

I ordered some stuff on one of the crowd funding websites, and as is the norm for these it's late. In case somebody wanted them for Christmas presents, they sent people electronic cards to send to people with a bit of a bully phrase "this is what you could have had for Christmas".
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headgasket14 View Post
WHAT? Not even a card to family & close friends? You miserable bunch of tight wad, grumpy old gits!! They're only 2 or 3 quid each and a stamp is only 60p...
£2 or £3 . You must shop at Waitrose.
duemila and stan laurel like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

£2 or £3, I can get several dozen for that.

I used to find stashes of cards, my wife had given me, in my locker at work that I had forgotten to hand out. OK for next year you may think.

The next year I used to find stashes of cards, my wife had given me, in my locker at work that I had forgotten to hand out. OK for next year you may think.

The next year I used to find stashes of cards, my wife had given me, in my locker at work that I had forgotten to hand out. OK for next year you may think.

MalcQV likes this.

Garry

DISCLAIMER
Apologies for spelling mistakes, bad grammar and misplaced, or even lack of apostrophes.

TSR 2 Test Flight
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
I love an e card, especially ones that have a 'corporate game' attached. The game usually involves snow ball throwing, office conga, or my all time favourite, mince pie throwing. I usually play the game once, it tells me my score is pathetic and then shows me the score of some nerd in IT who's spent at least two weeks solidly playing it and alerted his management that he's got nothing to do.

I only take exception to people who put pictures of their kids dressed up as elves on the front cover with some smug statement underneath.
chrishendrix likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
£2 or £3, I can get several dozen for that.

I used to find stashes of cards, my wife had given me, in my locker at work that I had forgotten to hand out. OK for next year you may think.

It's the lack of thought that counts!
AO Platinum Member

The true meaning of Christmas;

Late December/Early January - Mrs Pat buys sh** loads of cards in the sales for everyone we have ever met.

<Time passes>

Mid November, Mrs Pat flaps about the house going "I haven't written my cards yet!". Yours truly takes over all food preparation duties for the foreseeable while present are wrapped and cards are written.

3rd Week in November, Mrs Pat bemoans her lack of stamps. Yours truly schleps to the Post office to spend at least a weeks worth of beer on sticky stamps.

Last few days of November, Mrs Pat starts the "are we going to see them, will your Mum see them, can we drop those off, are we passing their house?" game with the stack of envelopes. A quantity of envelopes are passed to my Mum for onward transmissions to relatives who I don't know and would not recognise if I parked on their foot. Some of these are to be found next October on the passenger seat of her car.

First week of December, Mrs Pat starts to receive a handful of cards, mainly from neighbours whose card is in the "we will deliver it" pile that we have not delivered "They'll think we forgot about them now, it's just not the same !" preemptive strike fail.

Second week in December, Mrs Pat further bemoans more cards arriving from neighbours who have delivered by hand and who will think we have forgotten them. Yous truly gives up and goes and delivers the feckin' things. I go out and buy herself a proper card, with writing in it and sh*t, and forget where I have put it because I have to hide everything.

Third week in December, Mrs Pat checks once more to see if the random relatives will be miraculously hand delivered by elves. Yours truly confirms they won't, asks (for the fourth time in four years) that "we" don't send cards to my relations again, sticks more stamps on and dump the balance in the post box.

22nd/23rd/24th December, Mrs Pat receives at least 2 cards from people she has not sent one to and one from someone whose name we do not recognise, triggering a wildfire of panic, scrabbling through address books and card boxes etc.

26th December, check local shop sales for cards for next year and Holiday adverts.
(Post Link) post #15 of 26 Old 16-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headgasket14 View Post
I was originally ranting at the growth of e-chrimbo cards from suppliers or customers whom you don't really know or care about.

I can't say I enjoy writing Christmas cards for relatives and close friends but, like Keithy, I have delegated that task to MrsJim but with only marginally less peripheral panic. We long ago binned the pointless exercise of writing dozens and dozens of cards for colleagues in every department in each other's place of work.
MalcQV likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
I was originally ranting at the growth of e-chrimbo cards from suppliers or customers whom you don't really know or care about.
Well justified.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

VW Tiguan smoker

It's very middle class British/old tradition sending Christmas cards out.
These days no body cares about Christmas cards. A phone call is sufficient. I get a few mainly off the older members of me and my wife's family. What do I do with them?? It's the equivalent to sending me toolstation catalogs I want to keep them but I feel the recycling bin is the best option.
Sending them via email 'e-cards' those are worse than professor Charles soludo emailing me offering me 10 million USD from the bank of Nigeria at least the professor has entertained me with his ridiculous use of the English language, some one has actually went to some effort to write that email out. Plus those chaps respond if you mail them back

I just spent all morning watching a VH1 special on Gwen Stefani. I don't know what a Hollaback girl is. All I know is that I want her dead.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
Reading some of this thread reminds me that my mum and dad always had the Christmas card ritual and it was always a disaster of forgotten cards, wrong addresses, frantic evenings of card writing and general mayhem too.

I'm guessing that those memories are the subconscious reasons behind why none of us kids inherited the desire to repeat it and haven't ever been into the exchange of Christmas cards since.

All I recall is my mums ancient and disintegrating address book, with hundreds of addresses overwritten, corrected, scribbled out and randomly filed under the alphabet tags that guaranteed you couldn't find anyone's address.....

My Auntie Rose and Uncle Bill could be found under "R" for Rosie and Bill, "B" for Bill & Rose, "A" for Aunty Rose, "U" for Uncle Bill and "V" for their surname. None of those would have the same address as they would have been added over the years as they moved. None of them had a "new fangled" post code either. The lottery of selecting the right current address and deciphering the many-times-corrected house number (55?... what did the question mark mean? then the 5 rounded up to a 6 in biro, then scribbled over and replaced by 55 again, but under it a hastily scribble of 56 with two exclamation marks after it....) meant that most cards didn't actually end up at the right house anyway.

Family gatherings at Christmas would always start with the obligatory "Did you not get my card Rose?" followed by a quick cross check of details and then hoots of laughter as Bill confirmed that they hadn't lived in Acacia Avenue since 1967.... and anyway it was number 155...

In fact I know my mum still has that sacred address book and I will insist that when she finally shuffles off this mortal coil that I will grab it and treasure it. It caused more Christmas hilarity than 1,000 cracker jokes.

I can picture as clear as anything my mum sitting at the dining table furiously writing the same greeting on a hundred cards while my dad sat next to her with a stack of envelopes staring at that address book and saying "who the **** are Mable and George!?! - We don't know anyone who lives in Lowestoft do we? And how am I supposed to read that!!"
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

I've written one card to date. To my Mum, Mrs Wezley has written the rest. I need to buy hers and my daughter's yet. Must remember, must remember...
73GTVJim likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Wrong rhyme, that's bonfire night.
MalcQV likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

at work, i send a miserable e-mail telling everyone that i wont be sending them a card, choosing instead to donate a tenner to charity.

i then forget to put the tenner in the charity envelope.

*joking*
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Ive written loads of family cards, but I'm forced to do so because I apparently have "nice hand-writing".

It's amazing how quickly my wife suddenly loses the ability to write in a legible fashion!
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Cards are 100% pointless
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
Cards are 100% pointless
So they have many points??????
AO Silver Member

Member car:

VW Tiguan smoker

I must say I do like cards that contain the queens portrait preferably painted with the colour purple. I don't get many of them these days

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Tags
card , christmas , email

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page