Dirt tracks of Scotland - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Rayq81

Not Happy Dirt tracks of Scotland

I have just returned from three days in Scotland (Paisley near Glasgow) I cannot believe the state of the pothole ridden dirt tracks they call roads, i will never drive my car in the Glasgow area again its disgusting if i lived there i would refuse to pay road tax, so come on Scottish Alfisti why the hell do you put up with it ? i have driven on some poor roads in very poor countries but never seen anything like these in my life- Scotlands drivers you have my sympathy !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

paintergirl

Re: Dirt tracks of Scotland

I totally, totally agree with you on this one! I buckled a wheel dropping it into a pothole in the dark just outside Dumfries a few months ago. Cost me a new alloy.

I photographed it the next day and it was 18 inches by 12 inches and 4 inches deep!

There is a Pothole Hotline number to ring here and they're meant to fix them so long after the holes are reported but if no-one calls....

Nev

Are you sure you're not just driving down
RUPPs or BOATs ?

Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Are you sure you're not just driving down
RUPPs or BOATs ?

Whats a rupp or boat Nev (i know im going to regret asking this )

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

TBH I don't think they are as bad as in England. I love driving along the A71 to Livingston.
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
TBH I don't think they are as bad as in England. I love driving along the A71 to Livingston.
Treat yourself to a drive through Paisley Jim, i kid you not i live in deepest darkest Somerset our farm tracks are better surfaced !!

Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
Whats a rupp or boat Nev (i know im going to regret asking this )
Road Used as a Public Path
and
Byway Open to All Traffic.

Mostly old, unsurfaced roads.

"LET'S OFF-ROAD!!!"

Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Road Used as a Public Path
and
Byway Open to All Traffic.

Mostly old, unsurfaced roads.

"LET'S OFF-ROAD!!!"
you dont need to go off road where i was !! and it seemed every road i was on was unsurfaced (actually surfaced but majorly defective)

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

No RUPS, BOATS or Bridleways in Scotland I'm afraid,just badly maintained roads (particularly in Central Scotland). There are some fantastic roads to be found in the quieter areas up north and in the Borders.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Don't you think all our roads are in a state they just don't seem to maintain them anymore. Where does the money go from our road tax
Rayq81

Not Happy Re: Dirt tracks of Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelread View Post
Don't you think all our roads are in a state they just don't seem to maintain them anymore. Where does the money go from our road tax
Nigel you have not seen bad roads until you drive in Paisley lol i cant stress enough how these are not roads they are holes with some tar round the edges !! i challenge anyone to find a worse county for bad roads

AO Member

Paisley is nothing compared to the roads in Bearsden/Milngavie, they must think we can't feel the holes cause we all drive big Jags with air suspension...ar$eholes!!

The last couple of years have been infuriating as the council have been spending the roads budget on some funky pedestrian crossing at EVERY junction in the towns, problem is with most of them you need to sit over them to see if there is traffic coming...absolutely pointless!!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

The roads in central Scotland are appauling. One of the main roads where I live was dug up for a new sewer to be laid. When they filled it in you'd swear they got the local kids to surface it. So, they were told to dig it up again and re do it, they've made just as big an ar$e of it than the first time, but, it's OK 'cause they re laid it
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntomatt View Post
Paisley is nothing compared to the roads in Bearsden/Milngavie, they must think we can't feel the holes cause we all drive big Jags with air suspension...ar$eholes!!

The last couple of years have been infuriating as the council have been spending the roads budget on some funky pedestrian crossing at EVERY junction in the towns, problem is with most of them you need to sit over them to see if there is traffic coming...absolutely pointless!!
yes Bearsden !! thats to keep the rich folks happy every child has his own pedestrian crossing and all the women drive 4x4s thats why they cant feel the potholes

try driving through johnstone to howwood that will do ur back
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaman1967 View Post
try driving through johnstone to howwood that will do ur back
if the sheep dont get you the potholes will
lol

what you mean, if the sheep don't get you, i got three sheep

literally
Rayq81

i hope your not saying that you are with sheep in a biblical sense lol

AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Stupid nunts at our local council resurfaced 3 miles (not very well, but a massive improvement) of the A road at the top of our street just over 2 years ago.

Its now been dug up, in various places, by the utility companies about 10 times and is back to being a complete mess and probably worse than it was, in places, than before the resurface.

Do our council Quality Control the resurfacing done by the cowboys from the utility companies?? They do, so when I asked the man responsible what standard constitutes 'reinstatement to original condition', I was met with silence, feckin imbocile

They just waste our money left, right and centre

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
True Alfisti never question why

We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? Lee Iacocca
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcosseOz View Post
Stupid nunts at our local council resurfaced 3 miles (not very well, but a massive improvement) of the A road at the top of our street just over 2 years ago.

Its now been dug up, in various places, by the utility companies about 10 times and is back to being a complete mess and probably worse than it was, in places, than before the resurface.

Do our council Quality Control the resurfacing done by the cowboys from the utility companies?? They do, so when I asked the man responsible what standard constitutes 'reinstatement to original condition', I was met with silence, feckin imbocile

They just waste our money left, right and centre
Same thing happens here in British Columbia, we wait years for a new road and the next thing you know holes are being dug and 'sort of patched' so you shake and rattle in your car as you go over it. Lots of construction around here and new houses require the road to be torn apart. My spider does not like the dips in the road.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Doesn't one of the AOS guys work for the roads or summit? Why cant they use some sort of conduit system for the utilities, then they'd never need to dig up the road again :loony:
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast frank View Post
Doesn't one of the AOS guys work for the roads or summit? Why cant they use some sort of conduit system for the utilities, then they'd never need to dig up the road again :loony:
That's not the roads guys, that's the utilities people. P17 SUT works for Roads dept in Fife Council. I'm sure he'll be along in a minute
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
That's not the roads guys, that's the utilities people. P17 SUT works for Roads dept in Fife Council. I'm sure he'll be along in a minute
Well, maybe not
Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Well, maybe not
no one would admit to working for the roads department lol they are almost as popular as the Police

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page