Only 2 Years - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 19-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Only 2 Years

Only 2 years for causing a death

I would have thought a gang of 20 throwing stones at someone who was 65 were intending to cause grievous bodily harm.

Should have been murder IMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -
Re: Only 2 Years

Who what where
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

was there a link somewhere
AO Gold Member

County: -

I think it's the kids who threw stones at a chap and his son playing cricket. They fractured the chap's cheekbone and he subsequently died of a heart attack. IIRC, the kids were aged 10 and 12 when it happened two years ago!

I have mixed views on this - they need to be punished and should be taken away from their parents and home environment, but what do you do with them? What a sad society we live in where such young kids have so little respect for other people that they end up causing the death of someone

I think we need to look at whether the parents have some responsibility for this - my dad would have caned me if he thought I was even being rude to an adult, let alone physically abusing them!! I sometimes think society and some parents today are far too concerned about children's rights and forget that they should be teaching them the responsibility that goes with those rights!

Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your Heart...pursue those
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn GT View Post
I think we need to look at whether the parents have some responsibility for this - my dad would have caned me if he thought I was even being rude to an adult, let alone physically abusing them!! I sometimes think society and some parents today are far too concerned about children's rights and forget that they should be teaching them the responsibility that goes with those rights!
What She Said!

Last edited by Nev; 19-10-07 at 16:48. Reason: Inappropriate smiley

VO2Max

What Nev said about what Lynn said! Truly appalling that a large bunch of kids are lobbing large stones at 2 people, somebody is bound to get badly hurt. The tragic fact that a death came out of it was, I guess, a freak occurrence, coming about from the unruly behaviour of stupid youngsters. What can you do, put a 10 yr old in jail for 10 years for throwing stones? Of course, that doesn't make it any easier for the family of the guy . Truly horrific.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

I reckon the re-instatement of public corporal punishment for young offenders is the way forward. You can't put kids in jails for years, and financially punishing their parent's won't help if they can't control the kids in the first place. Stringing them up and whipping them in public, however brutal, would probably work.
VO2Max

For some extreme cases of persistent violent or antisocial behaviour, this probably wouldn't be a bad thing, but I fear the European Court of Human Rights would have other ideas.

(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 20-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Ooops; sorry here was the link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7052267.stm
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I honestly feel the English court system is completely mad. You are drunk when committing a crime? Oh come on, not really your fault is it?

You run over someone with your car but don't have a license and insurance? We'll just take your license away (!!!) and send you to do some community work.

Sorry chaps, above statements come from vague recollections of facts, but when I lived in London, I read way too often of super lenient sentences for whatever silly reason. Judges really have it up their butt.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
For some extreme cases of persistent violent or antisocial behaviour, this probably wouldn't be a bad thing, but I fear the European Court of Human Rights would have other ideas.
I think the European court of human rights should ****** off and let us sort our own problems out..
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I reckon the re-instatement of public corporal punishment for young offenders is the way forward. You can't put kids in jails for years, and financially punishing their parent's won't help if they can't control the kids in the first place. Stringing them up and whipping them in public, however brutal, would probably work.
Yup, I think that would be slightly barbaric,
but then we live in barbaric times, so flog away!

Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Yup, I think that would be slightly barbaric,
but then we live in barbaric times, so flog away!
If I had kids and they were running amok I'd be happy to whip 'em meself, but chances are I'd get locked up for that
Nev

I'm sure most people over 30 used to get thwacked.
Not only by parents but also at school.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

They should have got a far greater sentence. Something that was heavy enough to make other yobs think twice about their actions.

What a wonderful country we live in.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page