TV licence - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 130 Old 18-10-07 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
col748's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Manchester
Posts: 125
Not Happy TV licence

With whats going on lately with BBC making cuts, isnt it about time they scrapped the TV licence and made it pay as you go TV? Most people have Sky, Free view, Cable etc. Its going to switch over to digital soon away, so that way people who want BBC can pay for it and others that don't.....don't have to waste money on that rubbish.
col748 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Molto felice
AO Rosso Alfa Member
 
Gibbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bristol
Posts: 54,872
Re: TV licence

I don't agree



Gibbo is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Gary Slegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Wales
Posts: 16,710
Re: TV licence

I don't agree either. People will pay £20-£30 permonth for Sky, and then comaplin about paying £120 or whatever it is per year for the BBC, and yet the BBC is by far the best TV company in Britain, if not the world
Gary Slegg is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 130 Old 18-10-07 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
col748's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Manchester
Posts: 125
Re: TV licence

Whats your reason?

Why should i pay for channels i don't want, i could understand when you only had 5 channels, but now surely people should have option?

If i don't pay for BBC channels then turn them off.
col748 is offline  
Status: adds
AO Member
 
derek155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: sale
County: cheshire
Posts: 438
Re: TV licence

i'm with you col748 you don't have to subscribe to channels you don't want to, so why should everyone with a TV have to buy a license...
derek155 is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,872
Re: TV licence

I don't have a TV purely because I refuse to by a license. The BBC is biased, it should open up the license fee to proper debate, instead of harrassing me perpetually with mail regardless of how many I times I call them telling them I don't have a TV, and no you're not coming in to inspect my house, and anymore letters will be treated as harrasment. TV licensing "officers" have come to my door regularly to try and get in the house to inspect it!!

This is where you're license fee's are going folks, wasted on the wages on some of the most rudest people I know, they even put traffic wardens to shame! Wasted on sending me letters, sending "officers" to try and gain access to my propery, when I refuse to even acknowledge who I am to them. I'm just waiting for the court order which they have to pay good money to get, and a police officer's hourly rate to accompany them on the search of the house, when in actual fact they will find I never had a TV all along! I'm going to laugh so hard at how many thousands of pounds they have wasted harrassing me, and then write it all down and send it to Ofcom as a dirty great big long complaint.

Hate the TV license, I won't EVER buy one.
Pud237 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
alfanano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 782

Member car:

.

Re: TV licence

You guys must agree with road pricing then - only paying for the roads you actually use!
alfanano is offline  
Status: -
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 171
Re: TV licence

im with col on this one, pay as you veiw! thats the way forward!
popey7676 is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,872
Re: TV licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfanano View Post
You guys must agree with road pricing then - only paying for the roads you actually use!
The thing is, road-pricing is far too complicated a system to implement, much to say needless.

We all know a TV channel subscription service is not hard to implement, SKY have been doing it for years.

These two debates are not linked IMO.
Pud237 is offline  
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek155 View Post
i'm with you col748 you don't have to subscribe to channels you don't want to, so why should everyone with a TV have to buy a license...
Oh dear. Do you work for Mr Murdoch by any chance?


Won't bother repeating myself:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/rant-...ht=BBC+licence

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/way-o...ht=BBC+licence

 
VO2Max
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

Well guys, here's the deal. If you think the BBC is biased, by and large, you're wrong. Biased to what? Every Political Party says it's biased against them (especially when in power), so what to make of that? The only News you get that's relatively unbiased in this country is TV/Radio News, because it is required by law to be. Your newspapers, of whatever persuasion, are NOT required to be, and with about ONE exception I can think of, aren't. OK, so whose TV News is the most biased? ITV? BBC? Sky? Well I'll give you 2 examples of bias or non-bias. Sky News is actually a very good News programme, but when the News of the World Political editor got done for tapping phones of the rich and Royalty, what was the channel that barely covered it and swept it under the carpet? Sky (owned by Murdoch). Second example: during the Falklands conflict the Tory Govt screamed long and loud about the biased BBC coverage. When the Belgrano got sunk ('GOTCHA!!' - Murdoch response ) the Govt initiated a Public Enquiry into the BBC's coverage on the 9 o/c News. They compared it second by second, to ITN's coverage the same night. The amount of time spent on te story, the slot in the programme, the tone of the report, the style of the report and the language of the report, were found to be identical. Who had the balls (later kicked into a pulp by a lying govt) to expose the sexed up dossier to invade Iraq? And the subsequent treatment of the BBC was total disgrace but did anyone have any sympathy? Well very few of the National Papers, they rubbed their hands with glee. Those in the TV industry watched on in disbelief.

Open the BBC up to proper debate? Don't you ever watch the News/read the papers? The BBC (and funding thereof) gets debated all the time, it gets kicked around like a football by the govt of the day, and every year when it's time to set the licence fee, the Newspaper Press stick the boot in.

You think the BBC is irrelevant? If there were no BBC, especially now with the squeeze on terrestrial advertising for ITV, you would have virtually nothing British to watch except football and cricket (which cost you a bloody fortune on Sky). What would your kids watch? CBBC, produced here, or American cartoons interspersed with adverts for McDonalds. How would you find out or know about your country? Do the Yanks make programmes about us? I don't think so! We already know a lot about the US but they know diddly squat about us and they ain't bovvered! Even the most hardened and cunning Politician knows that the BBC is a very large part of the cultural heritage of this country and is an invaluable asset. They will kick it around and whinge and moan about it, but they know it is necessary. You think things are bad here now, with violence, gang culture, obesity, don't-give-a-sh*t attitude? Try having a future of pay per view!

If you don't like paying the licence fee, fair enough, but please don't trot out a load of propaganda that you read in the Sun, or indeed the Times, the Daily Mail, the News of the World...I could go on. And be prepared for some real bias, because come Election time, who is Sky going to tell you to vote for? Probably the same Party as the Sun, funnily enough.

And yes, I think Jonathan Ross is an overpaid git!
 
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

VO2, there's no point explaining it
when you've get Murdoch press/media
pumping out: "Why are you paying the TV tax?"
(When you can be wasting you money on
Sly TV instead. )

I've been Sly TV free for months now.
It's liberating!

Do not regret it one bit and have saved
a packet.

The Beeb needs to move up market and
pull the public with it.

Anyone catch "Spooks"? Love it!

 
EddieGTA
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

I debated getting sky, and haven't. Ooooh hundreds of channels of ****e to pay for. Sorry but you're willing to pay for sky a massive commercialy run media company who also gets money from ridiculous amounts of advertising, but the license fee is unreasonable???
 
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Gary Slegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Wales
Posts: 16,710
Re: TV licence

Well said V02Max. I agree that some of the wages they pay are a bit high, but lets face it, if the BBC disapeared then what would Sky show - they repeat BBC programmes, but just charge folk more to watch it

Pud, I understand your annoyance about being hassled all the time, but you don't have to respond to those letters, in actual fact it would be better not too. When I first moved to Wrexham I rented a bedsit and didn't have a TV - but got loads of letters asking me to confirm that fact - I just binned them. The fact is though, some people do have TV's and don't pay their license (the other people in the flats next to me for starters) - so unfortunately the officers are needed

In every step, I hear your sobbing
Dare I break the shade with one caress
Dare I trespass to lift the veil
To touch the lips so soft and frail

It may be that love comes once and once only, preceded by rehersal, followed by regret.

Know well that however right a man may be they always find the fallen one guilty.

All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Gary Slegg is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Gary Slegg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Wales
Posts: 16,710
Re: TV licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Anyone catch "Spooks"? Love it!

Yes, it was very good
Gary Slegg is offline  
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

And to prove it's the same elsewhere,
I got my equivalent of the council tax
today. (The TV licence is tagged onto
that in France)

The TV licence is 116Euros that I have to
pay even though I never even watch French
TV. (Because it is so *****.)
 
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,872
Re: TV licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
VO2, there's no point explaining it
when you've get Murdoch press/media
pumping out: "Why are you paying the TV tax?"
(When you can be wasting you money on
Sly TV instead. )

I've been Sly TV free for months now.
It's liberating!

Do not regret it one bit and have saved
a packet.

The Beeb needs to move up market and
pull the public with it.

Anyone catch "Spooks"? Love it!

The BBC are good compared to Murdoch, but its still about time they scrapped the license fee. If the BBC can't survive without it, so be it. I'm sure they could find a way though, to the benefit of everyone. It is just plain unfair that you have to pay a license to use a TV, even if its not to watch BBC channels. Why shouldn't the BBC have to compete with SKY? I don't watch either, but if it was legal for me to own a TV without paying I would do (I'd probably just stick to Freeview), but if I had to choose SKY or BBC it'd be BBC everytime.

Its just a shame they have to harrass me and send me threateningly worded letters and have their rude-beyond-belief employees come knocking on my door, trying to look past me in the doorway to see if they can "snoop out" an unlicensed TV. I bet there's plenty of old people in this country who just pay for a license to stop the harrassment the BBC seem happy to hand out to people who choose not to have a TV.

Autolusso Penrith - UK's leading independent Alfa Romeo specialist with branches in Bedfordshire, Cumbria & Dorset

Wizard Exhaust systems available here

Tel: 01768 879 171
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,872
Re: TV licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slegg View Post
Pud, I understand your annoyance about being hassled all the time, but you don't have to respond to those letters, in actual fact it would be better not too. When I first moved to Wrexham I rented a bedsit and didn't have a TV - but got loads of letters asking me to confirm that fact - I just binned them. The fact is though, some people do have TV's and don't pay their license (the other people in the flats next to me for starters) - so unfortunately the officers are needed
I guess you didn't have the "officers" come round knocking then. They will bang and bang and bang on the door all day long until you answer it. For God's sake its 11am, I'm a student and you're interrupting my sleep!

Did you ever read how threatening the letters are? If SKY ever spoke to its customers like that they'd have non left.

By the way, I'm not an apologist for SKY, I hate them with a passion. I don't watch TV full-stop.
Pud237 is offline  
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

Pud, it the same everywhere else in the world.

Everyone pays with a direct payment or
the government pays from it's coffers. (Public money too!)
Because TV and radio are seen as something
that can help knit the threads of society.

Except in the US. Where it's controlled
by big business. Have you experienced the
horror of an hour of TV in the US?
That's 20-30 minutes of adverts for
crap you have no need of. And you'll have
paid a hefty cable subscription for the privilage.

Believe me Publicly funded BBC TV and radio
is something that is relatively cheap and of
relatively high quality.

If it were to be lost.... well just check out
the U S of A to see that future.
 
Rayq81
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

i will happily pay a licence fee for the BBC when it does what it says on the title BRITISH BROADCASTING corporation not the stupid left wing biased crap it is just now, all it does is slag Britain off it should be called the Biased towards anything not British broadcasting company.........there i said it ............so........flame me

Last edited by Rayq81; 18-10-07 at 20:33. Reason: some idiot will point out the obvious
 
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
i will happily pay a licence fee for the BBC when it does what it says on the title BRITISH BROADCASTING corporation not the stupid left wing biased crap it is just now, all it does is slag Britain off it should be called the Biased towards anything not British broadcasting company.........there i said it ............so........flame me

Quelle (putain) surprise!

Funny how every government cries
"bias!" Isn't it?
That should give you a big hint.

If you want to see biased TV try watching
FoxNews.
 
VO2Max
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
The TV licence is 116Euros that I have to
pay even though I never even watch French
TV. (Because it is so *****.)
And before everyone thinks French TV is cheaper than the BBC, I think I'm right in saying that not only are BBC services much broader than French National Broadcasting, there is also some advertising on it?
 
Nev
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
And before everyone thinks French TV is cheaper than the BBC, I think I'm right in saying that not only are BBC services much broader than French National Broadcasting, there is also some advertising on it?
Yup. And believe me, ads are the
only thing worth watching!
 
VO2Max
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
The BBC are good compared to Murdoch, but its still about time they scrapped the license fee. If the BBC can't survive without it, so be it. I'm sure they could find a way though, to the benefit of everyone. It is just plain unfair that you have to pay a license to use a TV, even if its not to watch BBC channels. Why shouldn't the BBC have to compete with SKY? I don't watch either, but if it was legal for me to own a TV without paying I would do (I'd probably just stick to Freeview), but if I had to choose SKY or BBC it'd be BBC everytime.

Its just a shame they have to harrass me and send me threateningly worded letters and have their rude-beyond-belief employees come knocking on my door, trying to look past me in the doorway to see if they can "snoop out" an unlicensed TV. I bet there's plenty of old people in this country who just pay for a license to stop the harrassment the BBC seem happy to hand out to people who choose not to have a TV.
Sorry you're 'being harrassed' but maybe if you cooperated with them rather than not admitting who you are, they would stop being so suspicious? And AFAIK, they choose houses based on TV's being delivered there or bought by the occupier (a previous one on your case obviously) and by credit card details. They have to start somewhere and statistically in such cases, there is a non-payer. Maybe if you 'played the game' a little bit, they would leave you alone?
 
Rayq81
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: TV licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Quelle (putain) surprise!

Funny how every government cries
"bias!" Isn't it?
That should give you a big hint.

If you want to see biased TV try watching
FoxNews.
Im not the goverment Nev im only a mere mortal tasked with listening to the Drivel on the BBC news, hoping one day soon they will say something positive about Britain, is it to much to ask i paid my licence fee!!! now give me something BRITISH and positive
 
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome