Lateness and manners - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

27Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 25-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Lateness and manners

Before we start I'll point out that I despise lateness. If you say you're going to be somewhere at a set time, you ****ing well should be there. Only excuses involving severed limbs, extreme bloodloss or death are acceptable to me.

I have been on a course today at an office 5 minutes' walk away from my usual Manchester office. This is great for me because it meant I could go to my office first and get a couple of hours in before the 10.00am start. We were asked to aim to be 15 minutes early to get through security, get a drink, have a **** etc ready for a prompt 10 o'clock start. The start time is important for reasons I will explain shortly.

The course was for staff based throughout the north west meaning people came from as far afield as Blackburn, Liverpool and Warrington. OK, it's further than they usually travel but it's not the Shetland Isles is it? There is, therefore, no excuse for arriving at ten past ten. If you are the sort of feckless **** who is routinely late, when you arrive you should, in my view, come into the room, apologise, sit on the nearest chair you can see, and SHUT THE **** UP. What you shouldn't do is stand in the doorway, scan the room for your mates who could be arsed to get out of bed, then expect everyone to move whilst you battle through a packed room then rearrange the chairs to sit with them. What you also shouldn't do is start talking to them about the weather, the train journey, parking, football or anything else when some poor sod is stood at the front trying to explain complicated issues to thickos like me.

I'd like to say that this is the end of the rant but, sadly, I can't. Remember I said the start time was important? The course was scheduled to finish at 4pm according to the invite. There is some flexibility in this so if it starts on time and people are happy to only have 30 minutes for lunch, be quick about comfort breaks etc then, provided there are no IT disasters, fire alarms etc, you can usually be away for 3.30pm on these things.

At the morning coffee break, the same feckless ****s who were late go and see the facilitator to report that, as they have to travel all the way back to Liverpool/Blackburn/Warrington, they are booked on a 3.30pm train (to get home from a course that they were told would finish at 4pm weeks ago) so they really need to be away not long after 3pm. The facilitator should tell them to go and get shagged then report them to their manager for being feckless ****s, but he doesn't. He explains that there is some flexibility in this so if it starts on time and people are happy to only have 30 minutes for lunch, be quick about comfort breaks etc then, provided there are no IT disasters, fire alarms etc, he should be able to be done by then.

Coffee breaks are now limited to ten minutes, in which time you need to use the facilities, go to the coffee machine, and get back to your seat. For ten points, guess which class members go to the bog, use the coffee machine, then go and sits in a break out area with their mates and return to the classroom nearly 20 minutes later? Guess who was also late back from lunch? We lost over half an hour of the day because of the same ****s who wanted to get away early.

End of rant. Thanks for listening.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Sorry, I came in halfway through that. Can you start over please?
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
You wouldn't last a day in France.

[Beaker people]
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

GT JTS

Totally agree, keithyboy. Alas, there are some people who, it seems, are incapable of being on time to such an extent that it is almost a medical condition.

Last edited by Clovis; 25-11-15 at 18:49.
AO Member

County: Devon
Utterly despise lateness, particularly given that it's always the same people, so they really can't blame circumstances beyond their control.

This is joining "Powered By Fairydust" stickers as another crime for which I would happily restore capital punishment.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Clearly not interested in the course content and are only there to collect the CPD points. In my opinion CPD has a lot to answer for. If you want to develop your career then you will do so without the need for formal CPD recording and if not no amount of formal CPD will make any difference.
steveisfrowning likes this.
EddieGTA

Generally speaking I hate being late for anything.

However when you live East of London and work in West London you have to accept it, if everything lines up train and underground wise I can be in for 9:00AM but it is usually about 9:15ish that I make it to my desk.

It does irk me somewhat though that there are people who live a lot more locally, that are regularly a lot later than I am ever am.

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

You get sent on training courses... wow.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Was it a "Time Management Skills" Course?
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Punctuality is most important, if I am less than 15 minutes early for an appointment I consider myself late.

Lateness is just rude and very bad manners!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
15 mins early is on time
on time is late
late is unacceptable

A Shearer

I agree with him
MrShusky likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

My younger sister is appalling at timekeeping and drives me and the family crackers.

My father used to fall out with her quite regularly when he was having chemo treatment, she was always late picking him up for his appointments.

Her reply when chastised was "they can't start without you". twart.

But telling her that it puts everybody out, my dad, the nurses, other patients waiting for the following appointments fell on deaf, and dumb ears....grrrrr.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
If I was late for this and that as a child my dad (brought up in a Victorian orphanage) would quote the old adage at me," Punctuality is the Privilege of Princes."?
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
15 mins early is on time
on time is late
late is unacceptable

A Shearer

I agree with him
Yet Mr. Shearer was habitually a couple of seconds late in the box.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I'm always too early if anything.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
I'm always too early if anything.
So your wife keeps telling me.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
:bash:
TheGrimJeeper and MalcQV like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
So your wife keeps telling me.
Swine, drat
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
Swine, drat
She's told you the same thing
AO Platinum Member

I have been known to do dummy runs to important appointments so that I know where I am going, how long it will take to get there and where I can park. Even after that I factor in an extra 20 minutes just to be safe. A few months ago I accidentally arrived at a destination 45 minutes early.

Many years ago, when I was young and reckless a friend asked me to meet him for a night out. He said I'll see at wherever it was at 7:30. I arrive at 7:20 thinking I'll wait in the car for 5 or 10 minutes and he'll be here. An hour later he arrives with a couple of other people, I was so p****d off I told him to get ****** and left. Not one of my proudest days but he deserved it.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

GT JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDrivingFan View Post
I have been known to do dummy runs to important appointments so that I know where I am going, how long it will take to get there and where I can park. Even after that I factor in an extra 20 minutes just to be safe. A few months ago I accidentally arrived at a destination 45 minutes early.

Not just me, then...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I do that too. I always googlemap/streetview check at final destination detail, and I don't trust postcodes

I check the parking situation

It bugs me when people turn up late and then use laziness or poor research as an excuse.
Clovis likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
I always make a point of getting to the channel tunnel early.....To get my cheaper time slot crossing, but it usually results in an earlier crossing in a more expensive time slot without the extra payment. Early is good!
I would like to point out though that I don't know you and what you do as a job, but the way you wrote the post, I'm guessing (Maybe wrongly) that it was a course for Public sector employees?? talking of "comfort breaks" smacks of Public sector speak for the opportunity of going for a sh*t ??
(Post Link) post #24 of 28 Old 27-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headgasket14 View Post
I always make a point of getting to the channel tunnel early.....To get my cheaper time slot crossing, but it usually results in an earlier crossing in a more expensive time slot without the extra payment. Early is good!
I would like to point out though that I don't know you and what you do as a job, but the way you wrote the post, I'm guessing (Maybe wrongly) that it was a course for Public sector employees?? talking of "comfort breaks" smacks of Public sector speak for the opportunity of going for a sh*t ??
I do work in the public sector but I believe comfort break is fairly universal. I'm not sure it's even a public sector invention.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
what an awful rotter he is

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page