Internet speed. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

1Likes

Spacecadet

Internet speed.

Talk talk fibre - high speed internet to my house. A wireless router thingy about 3 metres away from me.

Download speed 27Mbps
Upload speed 1.2 Mbps
Total cost 15.59 line rental
10 broadband fee
10 fibre boost
Total 35.59 a. Month

Fruit Phone 6s EE

Download speed 79Mbps
Upload speed 54Mbps

EE mobile phone
34.99 a month.

Yes, home line is unlimited, mobile 5gb capped.but still!

How far behind are BT open reach here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
wow you get 80mb down from a phone? I hate bt,
EddieGTA

How old is the cabling from the cabinet in your road to your house compared to the technology in your month or so old iPhone 6S?

It's like when people harp on about you should go for virgin media. Yeah great, but they do not want to invest in new infrastructure and run cabling to any more streets. BT are the ones lumbered with looking after the existing and aged telecoms infrastructure

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTA View Post
How old is the cabling from the cabinet in your road to your house compared to the technology in your month or so old iPhone 6S?

It's like when people harp on about you should go for virgin media. Yeah great, but they do not want to invest in new infrastructure and run cabling to any more streets. BT are the ones lumbered with looking after the existing and aged telecoms infrastructure
VM appear to be increasing speed without changing cables. At least my basic service has been increased from 2Mb to 10 to 20 to 50 and, next month, to 70 with only a change of router to go from 20 to 50. Doesn't matter to me as the laptop cannot cope with anything wireless above 25.

BT are reluctant to extend optical fibre to areas already covered by Virgin so the lack of choice still exists.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
I was recently on holiday in Mull - inner Hebrides.

The house we were staying in is miles from even the nearest village. There are only standard telephone cables on poles stretching into the distance- I guess Salen (nearest village) is about 7 miles away.

We were getting download speeds of 8mps and uploads of 2. Not lightening but a damn site better than we were getting in our village near Felixstowe before they installed a fibre cabinet. We were lucky to get 2 as a download and 0.5 upload (now 27 and 4 with a 1/4 mile copper connection to the cabinet).

How do they manage that on a Scottish island in a house miles from anywhere with only a copper cable connection?

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I was recently on holiday in Mull - inner Hebrides.

The house we were staying in is miles from even the nearest village. There are only standard telephone cables on poles stretching into the distance- I guess Salen (nearest village) is about 7 miles away.

We were getting download speeds of 8mps and uploads of 2. Not lightening but a damn site better than we were getting in our village near Felixstowe before they installed a fibre cabinet. We were lucky to get 2 as a download and 0.5 upload (now 27 and 4 with a 1/4 mile copper connection to the cabinet).

How do they manage that on a Scottish island in a house miles from anywhere with only a copper cable connection?
Sky dish to a satellite?
Spacecadet

The issue isn't technology, it's cost.

My 34.99 a month mobile over a two year contract covers the cost of the device, and the network and the data throughout. The phone represents 620. So 26 a month. So all that tech and support and data costs 8.99 a month!

Now tell me how Talk talk and BT can't do better when I pay them over 3 times as much for a lesser service??

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post

VM appear to be increasing speed without changing cables. At least my basic service has been increased from 2Mb to 10 to 20 to 50 and, next month, to 70 with only a change of router to go from 20 to 50. Doesn't matter to me as the laptop cannot cope with anything wireless above 25.

I think this might be due to them using a new data compression method, which I seem to remember getting an email about from them, some time ago?

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
I'm getting offered fibre for €20/month but only for the first year. (Which is what I notionally pay for ~15Gb DSL.)
After which they will bump it to €40/Month. I don't really need all the TV etc you get bundled with it.

Do I need that fast a connection . . . ?

AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

VW Tiguan smoker

We were getting around 0.5-1 Mbps then upgraded to fiber then we instantly got 35-40mbps. I can only presume that my wire in the exchange had fell out then when we switched to fiber the bt man plugged it back in when he made the connection
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

I live in a place called Hunsdon atm, very close to Hertford.

Basically I'm living in a house with BT internet. Theres a wireless router, it's cable, so no fibre optic, apparently the infrastructure is not available in this area.

My download speeds on a good day are 250kbs/s, upload 35 kbs/s, I lose connected 4-5 times a day, more so when more people are using the internet.

Any advice on how to get a better internet connection, atm I don't pay for the line rental or internet package but I would pay 35 a month if I can find a provider that can improve on this atrocious speed.

Cheers.
VO2Max

A good friend lives in that very village and Virgin currently have no plans to extend there. I'm sure they have better speed than that. I'll ask them who their provider is.

AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Thanks V02Max, appreciate it.

I moved to Hunsdon from Cambridge about 2 years ago, the speeds I was getting in Cambridge was around 600kbs - 4mbs, and that was on Virgins cheapest package, so the service I get from BT at the moment is a huge step in the wrong direction.

I'd be willing to pay the premium for a better speed, although if Fibre /optic isn't available I wonder how much better the service could really get?

Pretty sure however that the poor net speed I get at the moment is definitely not 'right', possibly the router needs replacing or something else in the chain is not running correctly.
Unregistered

County: St. Petersburg
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

33 Ms ping, 0.66 Mbps Download, 0.37 Mbps Upload.
Attached Images
File Type: png 4801590193.png (30.7 KB, 74 views)
Unregistered

County: St. Petersburg
Oups... Im not bad... 450rbls./month

Last edited by BuonGiorno; 18-04-17 at 18:26.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJoe92 View Post
33 Ms ping, 0.66 Mbps Download, 0.37 Mbps Upload.
There's something very wrong there.
Have you eliminated all the possible sources of issues in your house?

Unplugged extensions.
Changed the ADSL filter.
Use the plug nearest to where the phone line comes in
Check the wires are actually connected properly?
EddieGTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post

BT are reluctant to extend optical fibre to areas already covered by Virgin so the lack of choice still exists.
That's a case of technology advancement, in the same way that where my parents lived when adsl came out they line didn't support it at all. But later they went from 512k to 3m over the same ancient cable.

In terms of investment I wouldn't blame BT not reaching into areas that are covered by Virgin, when the only way they could match the speed available would be to start upgrading the cable all the way into the home at which point Ofcom would probably pounce on them.

What they do though is invest where Virgin would never go due to cost, since they're both berated for being a monopoly but forced to ensure decent broadband is available.

Isles of Scilly get subsea fibre broadband link - Telegraph

AO Platinum Member

maybe upgrade the ethernet cables?*

http://www.amazon.com/263-Audioquest.../dp/B0073HJVSK

*joke
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Tata4Now

I agree there is something very wrong, I will check those items mentioned.

I had the best connection via a power-line connection with a plug. However I was accused of draining too much 'net speed' and now have to share a wifi connection with 3 other people on this shoddy connection.
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tata4Now View Post
maybe upgrade the ethernet cables?*

http://www.amazon.com/263-Audioquest.../dp/B0073HJVSK

*joke

Click on the link and read the reviews. They're brilliant!

(Even better than the Veet burnt nuts ones).

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJoe92 View Post
Tata4Now

I agree there is something very wrong, I will check those items mentioned.

I had the best connection via a power-line connection with a plug. However I was accused of draining too much 'net speed' and now have to share a wifi connection with 3 other people on this shoddy connection.

Ah, you're housesharing, and sharing the connection?

BTW, my friend has just replied and I've asked them for clarification. Your speed sounds awfully bad!

AO Platinum Member

Connect to the router directly via an thernet
cable (Not the $10,000 ones. ) & check the speed.

If it's okay then you need to investigate the WiFi set up next...

More expert AOers will be able to add their tips.
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Thanks Tata,

I have previously used a direct ethernet for playing games online , and it is indeed obviously 100% stable, did not check the speed, but I do remember getting constant 300kbps downloads, whereas with wifi, its all over the place and occasionally drops out.

Cheers,
Joe.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Seat Ateca SE

Get a MiFi dongle from Three! We pay 17 a month and get 15gb worth of downloads, speed usually somewhere between 3 and 6mbps although occasionally does drop off and that's with us living in the sticks on the edge of 2 mobile towers according to the maps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page