999 time wasters..again - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

12Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 29-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

999 time wasters..again

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what I post will not go against any patient confidentiality and will not get me in trouble with the bosses. Especially as West Mids ambulance have their own facebum page with reports of similar stories.

Yesterday:

A person saw a swan fall over. He called us to come and have it checked over.

Also, 111 passed us 3 calls, as emergency red responses, for people that had toothache. Not Across the Service's area, which covers from Cheshire to Cumbria, but within the East Lancs area. (my dispatch board yesterday)

We are 'fire-fighting' 24/7 but this sort of crud just makes it even harder.

meh

Last edited by stan laurel; 29-10-15 at 19:46.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 31 Old 29-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

also mods, please move this to the rant room, cheers
AO Platinum Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Nothing Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post

A person saw a swan fall over. He called us to come and have it checked over.
Yellow card.

It was a dive.

A swan dive.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Stupid people.
(Post Link) post #5 of 31 Old 29-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Also we have to put up with do-gooders.

Someone fell, outside, and a member of the public called for an ambulance.

The call-taker clearly heard the patient decline any medical assistance, yet the caller insisted on our attendance.

We got there and the patient was no-where to be found.
(Post Link) post #6 of 31 Old 29-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

being obliged to respond to abandonded calls..

if we have an address in the system that tallies with a mobile number, we are duty-bound to attend.

yesterday, we attended a residence where the occupier had died, several weeks previous, just because we had a call from a mobile number that dropped out.

after some investigation, I worked out that it was an on-call Gp's number that was used and he must have called us on his personal mobile, rather than a works one.

It took myself and the crew nearly half an hour to sort out. Half an hour on scene with no patient when I had 17 jobs awaiting allocation.
VO2Max

They're to55ers.

On a (I think) related note:

I was in A&E last Sunday because I was stupid enough to fall off my bike. I got a nasty 2" gash down to the bone on my elbow (which I knew would need stitches).

I was in there from 4pm until half past midnight.

Now I'm not in any way saying I'm more important than others (I'm not) but I'd say well over 50% of people I saw in there didn't need to be there.

Before you all (quite rightly) say 'how on earth do you know what other people are in there for' I will say: I saw 2 footballers who were limping very slightly. They were walking about freely, backwards and forwards to the vending machine etc. Chatting away happily with their gf's, not wincing, not going 'OUCH!' And a motocross guy, exactly the same.

Various other people too, obviously not in pain, moving about freely. Yes, there might be people with chest pains, yes there might be people with other stuff that isn't visible like a banged head, but by and large, a lot of people who seemed as if they could just:

a) get better by the power of their own body's desire and ability to do so by itself, or

b) go down the bloody GP's on Monday.

The politics of whether it's possible to get to see your GP is a separate issue, but which of course can impact on your ability to get medical care.

But FFS, I would never consider going to A&E unless I could barely walk or I was bleeding everywhere and even then, if I could deal with it myself or I was pretty sure something wasn't broken, then I would.

The other thing is why on earth people have got nothing better to do than sit in A&E under these somewhat underwhelming circumstances? It beggars belief.
stan laurel likes this.

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Gash on the elbow, eh C. ?

Boys Girls Childs Osprey Skate Cycle Knee, Elbow, Wrist Protection Pads Set - Black Medium: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

999 Time-wasters? Have they not implemented my idea for Slap Cops yet?
stan laurel likes this.
VO2Max

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
"A person saw a swan fall over. He called us to come and have it checked over."

This person needs to be checked over.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Try going to Brighton A&E on a Friday night.

Went with my brother in law three years ago (suspected heart attack - him). In the next curtained off bay was a woman with a suspected miscarriage -you cannot help but overhear.

All around were drunks on trolleys either vomiting, calling for their mothers or shouting loudly - not to mention their friends standing around and laughing.
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Member car:

VW Tiguan smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
They're to55ers.

On a (I think) related note:

I was in A&E last Sunday because I was stupid enough to fall off my bike. I got a nasty 2" gash down to the bone on my elbow (which I knew would need stitches).

I was in there from 4pm until half past midnight.

Now I'm not in any way saying I'm more important than others (I'm not) but I'd say well over 50% of people I saw in there didn't need to be there.

Before you all (quite rightly) say 'how on earth do you know what other people are in there for' I will say: I saw 2 footballers who were limping very slightly. They were walking about freely, backwards and forwards to the vending machine etc. Chatting away happily with their gf's, not wincing, not going 'OUCH!' And a motocross guy, exactly the same.

Various other people too, obviously not in pain, moving about freely. Yes, there might be people with chest pains, yes there might be people with other stuff that isn't visible like a banged head, but by and large, a lot of people who seemed as if they could just:

a) get better by the power of their own body's desire and ability to do so by itself, or

b) go down the bloody GP's on Monday.

The politics of whether it's possible to get to see your GP is a separate issue, but which of course can impact on your ability to get medical care.

But FFS, I would never consider going to A&E unless I could barely walk or I was bleeding everywhere and even then, if I could deal with it myself or I was pretty sure something wasn't broken, then I would.

The other thing is why on earth people have got nothing better to do than sit in A&E under these somewhat underwhelming circumstances? It beggars belief.
I'm not sure if you have this service in your area but minor injuries hospitals are ideal for those kinds of injuries. You'll be in, out and all sewn up in no time.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

*I'd have taken the opportunity to stamp on the nasty ******* swan's neck.

* I'm joking about stamping on it, but probably would care little or not even notice.

The stories and reasons you hear. Diabolical, I wish they could be located and at least given a good bollocking.
Don't get me on those imbeciles that lob bricks and stones at the fire service.
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt14 View Post
I'm not sure if you have this service in your area but minor injuries hospitals are ideal for those kinds of injuries. You'll be in, out and all sewn up in no time.

I don't think there's one near me but even if there were, I should imagine it would be frequented by exactly the same 'clientele'.

It's just basically people with a sense of entitlement wanting everything to be 'sorted out by someone else'.

One of the nurses actually told me that a lot of people just go to A&E for the free dressings/stuff. Some people are happy to sit there for however long the current waiting time is (contributed to by themselves of course) for the free paraphernalia they can get - bandages, dressings, splints etc.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
I don't think there's one near me but even if there were, I should imagine it would be frequented by exactly the same 'clientele'.

It's just basically people with a sense of entitlement wanting everything to be 'sorted out by someone else'.

One of the nurses actually told me that a lot of people just go to A&E for the free dressings/stuff. Some people are happy to sit there for however long the current waiting time is (contributed to by themselves of course) for the free paraphernalia they can get - bandages, dressings, splints etc.
If thats the case they should have some behind the counter in reception and just dole them out to whoever wants them so long as they have a visible injury that requires it. At least then they won't be wasting any staff's time.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Problem is that people are getting mixed messages. If a kid has an accident at school and gashes their head, it is a medical emergency and they go to hospital. In the old days the school nurse doused it in TCP and you got on with it. A large number of people told me to go to A&E with arc eye, but there is nothing to be done, suck it up.

Last time I was in A&E, it was with my mother who had a minor stroke. I've done 5 years of radiology IT systems, so was pretty up to speed with diagnosing it (she thought she was fine), and cutting through triage (82 year old, history of high blood pressure, can't feel her right hand, no, we're not waiting in the queue are we...), but the place was awash with the ****ed and abusive. Society is too accepting of the ****ed and abusive, we just need to hit them with a pressure washer to get the blood off and send them home.
Spacecadet

Emergency care in the UK is a farce.

I fell in the street 3 weeks ago and broke 2 ribs. I self diagnosed this as I had done the same as a yoof many years ago and I knew the score.

A combination of over the counter medication wasn't touching the pain so I called my doctor. The phone rang and rang. This is all working hours in a Wednesday. No answer. I tried over and over again throughout the day. On one occasion I left my phone on my desk on quiet speaker phone and let in ring. It rang without being answered for 40 minutes. 40 minutes.

So after finally getting in from work at about 7.30pm I thought - Hmm still hurting a lot, but next step, local walk in centre. I called ahead and explained my issue and asked for some advice. I was told I'd have to come in and that the current wait was about 6 hours as they were busy. And then they said that they close in about 2 hours. So when they close, everyone would have to go across to A and E on the other side of the city.

So, I just overdosed on Ibuprofen, Codeine and Paracetamol.

Not-quite-an-emergency care is a mockery, and that's why ambulances and A and E departments are misused. It's because people cannot get the care they need.

Incidentally, when I had managed to get myself straight, I visited the doctors in person and asked about phone issues. They suggested I wait on the phone longer! While I was there the phone rang constantly and none of the 4 or 5 receptionist answered a single call.

AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
It seems that sometimes the procedures don't help?

A year or so ago, an old lady fell over in the street, straight over and smacked her head on the floor. didn't get up. A couple rushed to help her, check she was breathing etc.. Blood everywhere. They started to try and staunch the blood and make the old lady comfortable and I called for an ambulance. I realised as I was giving details, that another man on the other side of the patient was also calling it in and was clearly much further along in the questions. So I said to the operator I was talking to that someone else had called it in and already given the location, but she said I had to complete the call anyway as the system had now opened a case (or whatever they call it). Seemed pointless to me and risked sending two ambulances or responders to the one incident. But she still wanted me to go through the whole thing.
stan laurel likes this.

Mark

159 2.4 Lusso Qtronic (Sold)/916 Spider P1 TS (Sold)/Giulietta 1.4 TB MA 170 TCT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(Post Link) post #19 of 31 Old 31-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkiT View Post
It seems that sometimes the procedures don't help?

A year or so ago, an old lady fell over in the street, straight over and smacked her head on the floor. didn't get up. A couple rushed to help her, check she was breathing etc.. Blood everywhere. They started to try and staunch the blood and make the old lady comfortable and I called for an ambulance. I realised as I was giving details, that another man on the other side of the patient was also calling it in and was clearly much further along in the questions. So I said to the operator I was talking to that someone else had called it in and already given the location, but she said I had to complete the call anyway as the system had now opened a case (or whatever they call it). Seemed pointless to me and risked sending two ambulances or responders to the one incident. But she still wanted me to go through the whole thing.
It does sound daft, and each Service operates under local practices, but sometimes a second, third or fourth caller might offer some important information not provided by the other callers. Especially if you are in direct contact with the patient.

You should see it when we have a bad RTC on a motorway, we can have multiple calls from people driving past on the opposite carriageway ringing through on their hands-free, reporting the accident, but offering no information with regards to the number (if any) of casualties, injuries etc - and then we might get the 20th call from someone who has actually stopped behind the accident, with an accurate sitrep.

Again, I know it sounds daft, but if you hadn't been with the patient, I would imagine the EMD would have let you go much sooner.
MarkiT likes this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 31 Old 31-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
Emergency care in the UK is a farce.

I fell in the street 3 weeks ago and broke 2 ribs. I self diagnosed this as I had done the same as a yoof many years ago and I knew the score.

A combination of over the counter medication wasn't touching the pain so I called my doctor. The phone rang and rang. This is all working hours in a Wednesday. No answer. I tried over and over again throughout the day. On one occasion I left my phone on my desk on quiet speaker phone and let in ring. It rang without being answered for 40 minutes. 40 minutes.

So after finally getting in from work at about 7.30pm I thought - Hmm still hurting a lot, but next step, local walk in centre. I called ahead and explained my issue and asked for some advice. I was told I'd have to come in and that the current wait was about 6 hours as they were busy. And then they said that they close in about 2 hours. So when they close, everyone would have to go across to A and E on the other side of the city.

So, I just overdosed on Ibuprofen, Codeine and Paracetamol.

Not-quite-an-emergency care is a mockery, and that's why ambulances and A and E departments are misused. It's because people cannot get the care they need.

Incidentally, when I had managed to get myself straight, I visited the doctors in person and asked about phone issues. They suggested I wait on the phone longer! While I was there the phone rang constantly and none of the 4 or 5 receptionist answered a single call.

You are one of many, with the same opinion.

I think the lack of access to care is one of the reasons why the Ambulance Services are under so much pressure. People want us to be their GP, Social worker, Mental Health Worker, etc and it's evident in the growing number of patients that aren't actually conveyed to hospital.

With regards to your injury, unless you were absolutely certain it was relatively minor, you should really have called 999 if you had a chest injury; broken ribs are not only painful (I've had the same, so I can sympathise) but potentially dangerous (punctured lung, etc).

All credit to you for trying to sort yourself out though, I hope you're recovering well.

Last edited by stan laurel; 31-10-15 at 20:33.
Spacecadet

It only hurts if I breathe!

3 weeks later and only twinges a bit every now and then.
stan laurel likes this.

AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
It does sound daft, and each Service operates under local practices, but sometimes a second, third or fourth caller might offer some important information not provided by the other callers. Especially if you are in direct contact with the patient.

You should see it when we have a bad RTC on a motorway, we can have multiple calls from people driving past on the opposite carriageway ringing through on their hands-free, reporting the accident, but offering no information with regards to the number (if any) of casualties, injuries etc - and then we might get the 20th call from someone who has actually stopped behind the accident, with an accurate sitrep.

Again, I know it sounds daft, but if you hadn't been with the patient, I would imagine the EMD would have let you go much sooner.
Thanks for explaining that . It actually makes a lot of sense when you put it like that.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey
I'm actually quite sympathetic to those who go to A&E because they are concerned about their health. Let's face it - GP surgeries are mini-fortresses with limited opening hours and can't really be the right place to go if you have (in your opinion) critical or acute injuries/pain.

Self diagnosing can be dangerous. I lost my sister when she and her husband decided she wan't *that* ill for too long one weekend.... and I've used them myself with the babies when we've been unsure if they are really unwell or not. It's what it is there for, right? Sometimes it's nothing, but sometimes it ain't.

What I do really object to though is the Friday night/Saturday night vomit-fest that is typical of too many metro A&E centres.

For this I would get a 10p levy added to all drinks served by pubs/clubs/off-licences after 7pm on a Friday and Saturday night and use that money to fund a basic St Johns tent in every town centre retail parking lot and equip them with a sick bucket, a stack of band aids and steri-strips and a handful of basic camp beds.

Then I would put a range of bouncers in there and direct all self-induced drunks to queue for it alongside every drop off from the Old Bill who drag them over there from whatever fight/trip or row they come from. It should be an unpleasant, military style field-station for urgent triage and (preferrably) a thick ear. All other A&E facilities should be closed to drunks and punchers. The volunteers who man it should get a medal.
stan laurel likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Apart from a youngish locum doctor from a location outside the UK not deciding on my bone fractures being fractures, and subsequently telling the nurse in the fracture clinic to remove the cast that the A&E team had applied two days previously, I've no real complaints.:

After this episode I was treated in a most considerate fashion, and was attended to quite often before the mixed 'melee' combatants' that were frequently occupying the chairs waiting for attention.

Blazer, Reggie tie, and smart appearance,(apart from the sling) worked wonders?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Was once stupid enough to drop a roll of wallpaper on my toe. (Preventive brain surgery would have been appropriate). Left it a few days, blood blister continued to grow, so went to to see the nurse at our GP's surgery. She said it was too big for her, so called a GP. GP looked at it instantly, said: "My, that's big" and told me to limp to A&E.

Went to A&E where they sorted it but said, quite reasonably I thought, "You could have taken this to your GP's nurse."
stan laurel likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page