THINK Bike! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

HSTDriver

THINK Bike!

Just got home from work, was listening to LBC on the radio on the way back. In an ad break they played an advert asking how mny times we've read a page in a book only to have to re-read it because of not paying full attention, or looked at our watch and had to look again because we'd not taken in what time it was telling. It then asks about looking left and right at a junction before pulling out and....

***CRASH****

It ends by telling us to look out properly for Bikers, not just a quick glance.

Think Bike, it reminds us. Fair point.

But how come this ad and the ones on telly, and the ones on billboards are all aimed at car drivers telling us to look out for bikers?

What about reminding bikers not to sit in car blindspots?
What about reminding them to excercise extreme caution when filtering through traffic?
What about reminding them not to drive at Mach 2.0 down country lanes where they may come across slow moving traffic around any corner?

What about a simple reminder to these nut jobs that regardless of how good riding their super bas***d nutter bike makes them feel, they're NOT invincible

I apologise to the majority of sensible bikers out there who do none of the above, but it does seem that the biking fraternity has a disproportionate number of imbeciles who give them all a bad name

OK, rant over. Now please, enjoy your motorbikes, but don't kill yourself on them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Re: THINK Bike!

I think the road safety ads are pretty good.
Never seen such well thought out public safety
films anywhere else in the world.

And lets be honest, most times it's
cars pulling out of junctions hitting bikes
that are the problem.

I've posted these before, but:
http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...a/howclose.mpg

And the one aimed at bikers:
http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...perfectday.mpg

AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Bikers are regularly told to be careful and many take advanced driving courses - why shouldn't they tell you to be careful of bikers - you should be vigilant too.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Yep I agree with all that 100%.

I was booting it yesterday from Stoke back home at about 6pm - a bike with blue purple full beam headlights ( ) went past me at god knows what speed (perhaps 160mph+) and then had a hissy-fit at a 'normal' driver who dared pull out into lane 3 to overtake slower traffic.

It's the minority of nutters on bikes that give a bad name for the rest.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoam View Post
Bikers are regularly told to be careful and many take advanced driving courses - why shouldn't they tell you to be careful of bikers - you should be vigilant too.

I'm not saying they shouldn't tell drivers that, I'm saying I haven't witnessed as much info telling bikers to take bloody care of themselves as there is telling drivers to look out for them.

I kepp a damn good eye out for bikers because i've seen too many of them get hurt or killed, friends included, and don't want to kill anyone myself.

BUT

that doesn't change the fact that the ad campaign is one sided, and doesn't change the fact that there are a huge number of sunday road warrior power rangers who think they're Barry Sheene/Wayne Rainey/Carl Fogarty/James Toseland (delete according to your age) who need to realise that it's really feckin easy to get killed when body meets tarmac.

VO2Max

Dead born again biker syndrome, all too common Essex. There are specific signs (DoT) up for bikers on certain 'statistically high risk' portions of country road. Small villages also put up their own signs to warn bikers.
I think last year Essex averaged almost a death a week. Very sad for the biker, the biker's family, and any innocent bystanders who get hurt/affected.

AO Silver Member

i thank god for power rangers, someday i too may need a organ transplant and without these selfless idiots many more people would die for nothing more than a lack of organs.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

I am glad someone has put this up. I am not against bikes but that ad on TV winds me up a but when a lot of the bikers I come across seem to think they can do what they like on bikes.

Note I said 'a lot' - not 'all'.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire

Pedestrians should also get a "look where you are bl00dy going and get out of the road, it is paid for by the blood sweat & exorbitant road tax of the poor mug who has to brake because you stepped out in front of him or dawled across the road" type of advert.

Too moderate, do you think?
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Well I'd l like to have the following moans:

1) Why is it motorbikes think they can have their full beams on all the time?; and

2) Why is it cyclists think they can go the wrong way down one-way streets and take to the pavements when a car does come along
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post

... the ad campaign is one sided...

Quite agree.

Case in point, the TV ad where biker is weaving from side to side in and out of mirror view.

The car driver indicates, brakes, turns right... BANG

So, where was the bike? Trying to pass on the right? Driving too close? Weaving unnecessarily from side to side?

And the more recent one, bloke looks right, then left, pulls out --- if the bike hits him here, he must have been doing 85-90 in a 30 mph zone -- remember, he wasn't in view in the first shot, clear view up the road for at least a quarter of a mile IIRC...

And before anyone starts, I used to ride a Virago in Canada (where, sensibly, one wasn't permitted to split lanes, for example...)

If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you.
- Rich Hall

Gone but not forgotten - 164 2.0, 164 Super 3.0 V6, 156 1.6 T.Spark, 156 2.5 V6...
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
i thank god for power rangers, someday i too may need a organ transplant and without these selfless idiots many more people would die for nothing more than a lack of organs.
Yep our crash surgeon friend at Sheffield Northern General simply calls them 'donor riders' Sad but true.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

GTV Q2 Cup 110

Quote:
What about a simple reminder to these nut jobs that regardless of how good riding their super bas***d nutter bike makes them feel, they're NOT invincible
I am one of these "nut jobs" but I have to say I have very few problems with car drivers as I use my common sense, many don't. Yes I ride quick in the right places but I do at least try to give people a little warning that I'm there. I'm afraid I can't switch off my headlight as they are hardwired on by many manufacturers now. Believe it or not we're not all idots but I do agree there are some nutters around - cars as well as bikes One thing I always do is if I'm behind a line of traffic passing a junction I will ride on the inside or outside of the lane so that my headlight can be seen by traffic turning out. Little things like that make the difference. Thank you, rant now finished!!
EddieGTA

It does make me mad when I see the attitude of some bikers. My Dad has had motorbikes and I have gone pillion in the past, so I consider myself to have a good awareness.

This happened ages ago but still winds me up. My parents road comes out onto a main road with a 30mph limit, there because it is on a deceptive bend that also makes it tricky to see what is coming from the left when coming out. At this point I will also say that the reinforcedconcrete fence post opposite my parents road is snapped, from another psycho biker that lost his life coming through at stupid speeds.

So this particular time I am turning right. I look left... nothing there, look right... nothing there, look left again... nothing there so I pull out. Bike come charging through at about 60mph, and then has the audacity to swear at me!!!

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Coming home from Wales yesterday, every traffic management sign said "beware of motorcycles"
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

Quote:
Just got home from work, was listening to LBC on the radio on the way back. In an ad break they played an advert asking how mny times we've read a page in a book only to have to re-read it because of not paying full attention, or looked at our watch and had to look again because we'd not taken in what time it was telling. It then asks about looking left and right at a junction before pulling out and....

***CRASH****

It ends by telling us to look out properly for Bikers, not just a quick glance.

Think Bike, it reminds us. Fair point.

But how come this ad and the ones on telly, and the ones on billboards are all aimed at car drivers telling us to look out for bikers?
Have you noticed the one on telly with the guy pulling out of a T junction is a cheat?
In the 1st clip the bike isn't actually there

& the engine noise shows that the guy on the bike doesnt even lift - great example of an observant rider who's taken note of the other advert enjoining the motorcyclist to pay attention to indications of danger
ode
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

A Fiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Slegg View Post
Well I'd l like to have the following moans:

1) Why is it motorbikes think they can have their full beams on all the time?; and

2) Why is it cyclists think they can go the wrong way down one-way streets and take to the pavements when a car does come along

1) It's not full beam, but it's dazzling 'coz they bought the bike ages ago when they were slim, now they're overweight they need to adjust the headlamp alignment but they can't fit their chubby fingers into the fairing.

and 2) Just be thankful they're not in a car and doing the same thing.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Why do bike riders driving along narrow country roads have to position themselves 1/2" to the left of the centre of the road and stay there when a car is coming towards them?

Do they move? Do they F***. k - I can understand that the centre is the best line on a bike but when a 5' wide car is coming at you on a 12' wide road why miss them by 6" - move 2' over ffs.

Grr.

Paul.
(Apologies for Imperial measures).
AO Silver Member

Bikers deserve to be able to bend the rules, in exchange for risking their lives to improve traffic congestion and conserve petrol resources so that I may better enjoy my Alfa Romeo!
As an occasional cyclist I don't need ad campaigns telling me to be careful. It's so dangerous, you're not very visible and cars can out-brake and out-handle you, even though they don't seem to realise it.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

I'm amazed by the attitude of some people who actually resent being asked to look out for other road users. Some people think they are just fantastic drivers and are above other road users...
AO Silver Member

Being asked to look out for other road users is one thing, I think the irritation is that quite a few road users don't seem to bother looking out for themselves
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave View Post
Being asked to look out for other road users is one thing, I think the irritation is that quite a few road users don't seem to bother looking out for themselves
Well you should just continue to resent them and ignore the adds, because they certainly don't relate to you...
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoam View Post
I'm amazed by the attitude of some people who actually resent being asked to look out for other road users. Some people think they are just fantastic drivers and are above other road users...
So you need an advert to tell you to look out for other road users?

AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

Quote:
So you need an advert to tell you to look out for other road users?
Well some people do. There are some s###e drivers out there - but very few frequent this forum
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I honestly don't recall ever having an issue with any biker. If they approach me from behind, I make a deliberate head move toward the rear-view to show them that I have clocked them, then I budge over to the kerb to say 'when you think it's safe, pass when you want'. 99% of the time I get a raised hand thank you as they pass.

i don't see what the problem is - by belief is 'let's keep the traffic moving'. If they have the power and space to pass me, of course I'll cooperate with them.

One of my closest mates ride a motorbike; i guess i just hope other road users will recognise his vulnerability and let him pass by with ease without compromising his safety.

We've all got to share the road, guys.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page