Cycling without lights - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 41 Old 27-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Cycling without lights

Whoopy Doo, it's that time of the year again.
Suddenly, it's getting dark in the evenings as the nights draw in.
Why do so many cyclists wear helmets, but not lights? Surely it's better to not be knocked off in the first place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire
Re: Cycling without lights

Aye, numpties right enough. Surely trying to compete in the Darwin awards.
AO Silver Member

but its always the car drivers fault if they get hit i lived in york for a while and its an absolute nightmare up there, but if they are that brainless then they deserve to get hit
AO Member

Member car:

alfa romeo

yep, I cycle to work eventhough its aprivate drive i still have lights.
AO Platinum Member

Nearly splashed one today... no lights, not even a reflector. There was another car coming the other way and that fella was practically invisible.

"Amatuer" cyclist though.. no helmet, normal clothes, rough looking bike, that sort of thing.. the "pro's" are better.

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Always wince when they try to squeeze down the side of the car
AO Member

I live near York and you are not wrong. But I know someone who was riding WITH lights and was run over and killed by a truck on the A19.
AO Member

Member car:

159 jts TI

Slightly off topic but now that the nights are drawing in I hate it when you are sat in a line of traffic and the car in front does not use its handbrake and just sits there with his/her foot on the brake pedal thus blinding you with the glare from the stop lights.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Get a lot of inconsiderate drivers. Used to cycle to work some years ago. A lot pass far too close on main roads.
AO Member

in blackpool where i live you get fined by the police if your caught on the road without lights! Its quite good, not many cyclists here.
AlfaLincs

Having done a 20 mile round trip to work and back on a push bike for three years you know you are hard to see even if you are festooned with lights.

In Boston its bloddy awful with the no lights brigade..and they will sue if you don't see them and knock them off.

AlfaLincs

VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Nearly splashed one today... no lights, not even a reflector. There was another car coming the other way and that fella was practically invisible.

"Amatuer" cyclist though.. no helmet, normal clothes, rough looking bike, that sort of thing.. the "pro's" are better.

Ralf S.
Thanks Ralf . The 'pros' are better! As for the ****s who ride without lights, natural selection is the best way to deal with them. And no Jabberwocky, it wouldn't be the driver's fault if an unilluminated pillock got hit, and the court wouldn't think so, either!

VO2Max

Another thing too, for all you budding nighttime Merckx's, as well as lights, high visibility vests with Scotch reflective bands on are very good, only about 10 from Halfords.

(Post Link) post #14 of 41 Old 30-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Yep, you should see my jacket when I'm cycling; the guys in the office ask if I'm moonlighting at a nuclear power plant!
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
Another thing too, for all you budding nighttime Merckx's, as well as lights, high visibility vests with Scotch reflective bands on are very good, only about 10 from Halfords.
a quid in Stevenage pound shop

just as bad are the ones who think they are saving money by sticking some stupid cheapo LED trinket that belongs on a Xmas tree on their bike and then heading off thinking they are invincible. I nearly cleaned one such idiot off last year.

he got the full verbal barrage
(Post Link) post #16 of 41 Old 04-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Nearly got one this evening. Dark narrow roads, waiting at traffic lights with left indicator on. Absolute idiot with no lights decides to come down my inside and undertake me just as the lights change. Luckily I'd overtaken him about half a mile earlier and suspected he would catch me at the lights so I was watching out for him in my mirror, but I could easily have not noticed him and knocked him off. Who gets the blame and who pays for the damage
VO2Max

It's a whole other debate really, but I would advocate anyone over the age of 17 compulsorily having 3rd Party insurance on a bike. It can be had for under 20 quid, it covers you for up to 10,000,000 3rd Party and if the motorist is at fault (which they are 9/10 times) it pays for a Solicitor to get damages for yourself.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Was it not the case that if a cyclist riding at night with no lights or reflective was almost always automatically to blame if he/she got knocked off? If not it should be.

They should also pay road tax. As Jeremy Clarkson says, they are using something they have not paid for.

Seriously though there should be Cycle tracks for bikes and roads for cars, they should be seperate if possible IMO.

Last edited by symon; 11-10-07 at 08:03.
VO2Max

Yes of course, mitigating circumstances notwithstanding! I don't imagine any Judge/Court/Insurance company would give much consideration to someone riding without lights at night, quite right too.

Cyclists pay road tax? Nah! They don't do any damage to the road structure, yes, they use the roads but so do horse riders and pedestrians. it would be churlish to make them pay road tax. And anyway, if they all got back in their cars, they'd only be in your way, wouldn't they?

VO2Max

Yes, I agree about the cycle tracks for bikes, but they should be functional, viable and suitable, not ridiculous Council-afterthoughts that have lampposts in the middle of them and stop and start randomly, just so that Council can say they have reached their 'quota' by installing X miles of cycle route.

I was always impressed with the guy who got flashed on a speed camera (when they weren't safety ones) with his push bike. I didn't wear a helmet until last year on my bike, didn't have to so felt why bother. Having had to weave in an out of cars (yes I am also one of the bad cyclists) I now know that not everyone on the road is as careful as you guys are. It's also weird walking along a road when a hub cap flies off. It would be cool if the council capped your mileage on a push bike, they could pay for a odometre for bikes, and even complete cycle routes.

People get killed on bikes, in cars, in all sorts of serious incidents. I'm off for a cigarette.
AO Silver Member

It's endemic to the point of being normal in central Cambridge.

But then, because it's normal, it's expected by local motorised traffic and so isn't much of a problem.

...until an out-of-towner drives in.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

What amazes me is that there's a chap I (barely) see that wears a camouflage jacket - even when its a dark dawn. Breaking up your outline and blending in with the background is really a good idea when riding a bike
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

There are people round here that cycle along the road, even when the council spent thousands putting in a perfectly good cycle track right next to it..

And I know its a good cycle track as I have used it..
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Seriously though there should be Cycle tracks for cars and roads for bikes, they should be seperate if possible IMO.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page