It isn't just Alfa! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rant Room Clean ranting only - No Swearing!

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 20-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

A Tiny Abarth

It isn't just Alfa!

At least it isn't just Alfas that suffer!

Had a "new to us" ford fiesta delivered yesterday - 64 plate that's done 500 miles from a Ford main dealer. Done 20 miles in it and it came to an abrupt end being pushed into a petrol station after we noticed the coolant warning light come on. A couple of seconds later this was followed by a horrible noise, a plume of steam out the back and a complete stop on a roundabout.

Refilled the coolant - it all came out of the bottom (from the rough location of the water pump).

Called the AA out - the diagnosis - he didn't even attempt to fix it. He thinks the water pump has failed, and because the car didn't tell us about it until it was completely out of water (which seems stupid to me), this has caused the engine to get too hot, thus damaging the head gasket, and letting water in the cylinder. When he reversed it off the tow truck onto our drive he said there was a loss of compression and said it should be driven onto the back of Ford's tow truck and nowhere else!

He also noted that there was dried antifreeze staining all over the engine block, suggesting it'd had a previous failure and has obviously had a shoddy repair. There was also more corrosion than a 500 mile car should have.

Lesson learned: get the full history of a car, even on a low mileage main dealer one. Back it goes tomorrow I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
People don't like an accurate dial telling them things that might worry them , like engine temperature . So, just a warning lamp when it's too late or calibrations like a very wide band of "norm".
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 20-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

A Tiny Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
People don't like an accurate dial telling them things that might worry them , like engine temperature . So, just a warning lamp when it's too late or calibrations like a very wide band of "norm".
Yeah it's not my car personally, but when I looked one of my first reactions was "where is the temp dial?".

http://indianautosblog.com/wp-conten...r-1024x677.jpg

It's that little bar under the trip. Such a silly design, but that said, when the warning light came on the temperature was only showing 1 bar above normal I believe, so it doesn't appear to be much use anyway.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I've read that the instantaneous fuel consumption figure on some German diesels adapts to a longer term average figure during a dpf regeneration to avoid worrying the driver?
It's like the fuel gauge telling my wife the tanks empty when she's going round a corner because the sender is not happy!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Inattentive robot on the head surface grinder maybe?
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
It is probably one of those electric water pumps.

Modern cars have become too complicated for their own good.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Rant Room

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page